DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 558
3 members and 555 guests
2blueyam, amit, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Fork Seal Tools
Unread
  (#1)
MSF Student

Fork Seal Tools - July 9, 2009, 02:21 PM

Anyone out there have the tools to do cartridge fork seals I could borrow or would come over and lend a hand. I have an air conditioned shop and there will be beer and pizza in it for whoever comes and helps

I need the spring compressor, nice to have would be the bullet to protect the seal putting it on, and the seal driver so I dont have to use the pvc trick

Thanks for any help,
Dan

P.S. I know I could pay a shop to do it for about $150 but its not about the money I am a purist I like to work on the machine I ride. That way if I screw it up and I die its noones fault but my own.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Bluezx9  
Unread
  (#2)
Mojito Anyone?

July 9, 2009, 02:24 PM

R&R will do it for $100 bucks.. and on the spot most of the time. They did mine not too long ago

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#3)
MSF Student

July 9, 2009, 02:45 PM

I might have to just do that... man thats too cheap.
Unread
  (#4)
MSF Student

July 9, 2009, 02:46 PM

Yeah and Rick and those guys over there have a great reputation so might just give them a call and save myself some time but I do like to do things myself.
?
Unread
  (#5)
"?"

? - July 9, 2009, 02:50 PM

do what for a $100 bucks fork seals?
Not to jack your thread blue!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
MSF Student

July 9, 2009, 02:52 PM

OK so I called them its 99 labor per tube and I want to do both so its worth me doing it. save about $220 and get the satisfaction of doing it myself ... that's worth it.
Unread
  (#7)
Derpentine Dealer

July 9, 2009, 05:44 PM

Yeah there is absolutely no way a shop will do new seals and oil for only $100. No way.

What's funny is that every time someone posts that RnR does fork seals for $X, X becomes smaller and smaller. Pretty soon it's going to be: OMG, RnR will replace your fork seals for $5!

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

July 10, 2009, 05:26 AM

lol they told me 275 if i brought them the forks off the bike

.................................................. ..................
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
Since MJ was 99% plastic, they're going to melt him down to make some lego blocks so kids can play with him for a
change.
.................................................. .......................
Unread
  (#9)
Derpentine Dealer

July 10, 2009, 05:46 AM

Make sure you don't have any hot dates scheduled for the evening of the day you do your first set of fork seals. You don't want any hard deadlines rushing you through this job. You should also be careful about trusting online HOW TO threads. They tend to contain inaccuracies and also leave some important steps out.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

July 10, 2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
Yeah there is absolutely no way a shop will do new seals and oil for only $100. No way.

What's funny is that every time someone posts that RnR does fork seals for $X, X becomes smaller and smaller. Pretty soon it's going to be: OMG, RnR will replace your fork seals for $5!
We do fork seals for $164 if you bring us just the forks. That's $82 a fork not $164 a fork.
Unread
  (#11)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

July 10, 2009, 07:45 AM

No offence but why do people whine about shops charging 200+ bucks for a rebuild. Buy all the tools to rebuild every fork out there and let me know about that cost! How is that a rip off?

You ask for someone to have all the tools and knowledge to do the rebuild and then you want it done for free? You say you are a purist and want to do the work yourself but have no tools?

Since starting to work at RNR I have spent thousands of dollars on tools to be able to work on any bike and any part on the bike. This does not include the lift I bought which was flippin outrageous. I think you guys forget that shops and the techs that work on your bike need to make a living also. Plus with the tools and expeirence all techs can do the job faster and also notice things that need more work than just the average rider. Also if you use a shop over and over again they should give you a price brake on parts and labor. I know we do.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

July 10, 2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131 View Post
No offence but why do people whine about shops charging 200+ bucks for a rebuild. Buy all the tools to rebuild every fork out there and let me know about that cost! How is that a rip off?

You ask for someone to have all the tools and knowledge to do the rebuild and then you want it done for free? You say you are a purist and want to do the work yourself but have no tools?

Since starting to work at RNR I have spent thousands of dollars on tools to be able to work on any bike and any part on the bike. This does not include the lift I bought which was flippin outrageous. I think you guys forget that shops and the techs that work on your bike need to make a living also. Plus with the tools and expeirence all techs can do the job faster and also notice things that need more work than just the average rider. Also if you use a shop over and over again they should give you a price brake on parts and labor. I know we do.
I agree 100%. We spend tons of money on the tools to do the job and we spend lots of time and money on getting the proper training so we can do the job right the first time.
Unread
  (#13)
Life Begins at 150

July 10, 2009, 07:53 AM

Just to clear this up.
One loose fork rebuild, that means dissasemble, clean and inspect, polish any imperfections, $94.05 you then have parts, which can range from $15 for a cheapie rebuild to 100 for new springs, bushings and Ohlin's fork fluid (the best). This is each tube, removing them from the bike is another 94.05, we are going to charge you shop supplies, (cleaners and solvents) of 5-10 per fork also. Racers get a better deal, People who took the MARRC RRS also get a better deal. any ??

RnR Cycles
45700 Woodland Rd, #160
Sterling VA 20166
703-433-9195
571-277-0892
www.RnRCycles.com
Unread
  (#14)
MSF Student

July 10, 2009, 09:57 AM

I am sorry Rick, Redlevel and Dodge. I am not bashing the shops at all. I dont know how my thread turned into this. Rick and you guys have a great reputation. I just wanted to give it a go myself but then someone said a shop would do it incredibly cheap so I thought why would I waste my time.