DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 555
0 members and 555 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
At GMU Fairfax - Help Starting My Bike?
Unread
  (#1)
U aving a giggle m8

At GMU Fairfax - Help Starting My Bike? - November 24, 2014, 12:16 PM

Wasn't sure if this was the right place to post it, but figured I'd give it a shot

CBR 600 F4i got me to campus today, and started up, but I turned it off to adjust my earplugs, but then it died. Dim lights, FI wouldn't turn over, and couldn't bump start it. I had the stator replaced recently, so that shouldn't be the issue.

Really frustrated about the whole thing and would like some help honestly.

Any thoughts or anyone in the area that'd be down to help me out? I'll buy you a case of beer!

2003 CBR F4i
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Railing!

November 24, 2014, 12:35 PM

Bump

2013 Hypermotard
1998 Superhawk
Unread
  (#3)
Fast Lane Racing

November 24, 2014, 01:26 PM

sounds like your battery is not charged.

how long was it sitting before starting it today?

I had this issue on my carbed ZZR600. It didn't take much to drain the battery.

Can you push start it? Any hills near by?
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Mojito Anyone?

November 24, 2014, 03:14 PM

push start that bitch.. put it in second gear.. run like bolt, drop the clutch and fly away

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#5)
U aving a giggle m8

November 24, 2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS762ZX6 View Post
sounds like your battery is not charged.
how long was it sitting before starting it today?
I had this issue on my carbed ZZR600. It didn't take much to drain the battery.
Can you push start it? Any hills near by?
About a week or so. Nothing terribly long. That's what was surprising. Maybe the cold weather wrecked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onel0wcubn View Post
push start that bitch.. put it in second gear.. run like bolt, drop the clutch and fly away
I tried. Ran it with the button held, nothing turning over.

2003 CBR F4i
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

November 24, 2014, 04:16 PM

I've got no immediate help for you but I picked up one of these for my cbr1krr, which can be unhappy about starting in the middle of winter).
Amazon Amazon
Amazon (Links)Amazon (Links)
Unread
  (#7)
Air-Cooled Goodness

November 24, 2014, 05:34 PM

If you still need help around 8pm tonight I'll be passing by on my way home from work. Sounds like either you battery isn't holding a charge, or you charging system isn't working.

-Tommy
Unread
  (#8)
U aving a giggle m8

November 24, 2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkRoy View Post
I've got no immediate help for you but I picked up one of these for my cbr1krr, which can be unhappy about starting in the middle of winter).
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FDYYK4A/...332200_TE_item
I'll check that out. Thanks for the recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
If you still need help around 8pm tonight I'll be passing by on my way home from work. Sounds like either you battery isn't holding a charge, or you charging system isn't working.
I ended up having my brother come pick me up, so I'm not stuck there. Thanks though!

2003 CBR F4i
Unread
  (#9)
No more 1050 :(

November 24, 2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Largewill View Post

I tried. Ran it with the button held, nothing turning over.
No button.

Key on, put the bike in neutral, then run. Jump on, kick it into 2nd gear and drop the clutch.

Works better if you can have it in 2nd all along, and just hold the clutch in, then drop it when you get going ~10 mph... but that's tough to do without a hill.
Unread
  (#10)
U aving a giggle m8

November 24, 2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drz1050 View Post
No button.
Key on, put the bike in neutral, then run. Jump on, kick it into 2nd gear and drop the clutch.
Works better if you can have it in 2nd all along, and just hold the clutch in, then drop it when you get going ~10 mph... but that's tough to do without a hill.
Damn, that makes sense. I thought I had seen someone do it on youtube with the button, and after my first run down this hill I wasn't about to try it again.

Good to know going forward though. Thanks man.

2003 CBR F4i
Unread
  (#11)
Signed up for Track Days!

November 24, 2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drz1050 View Post
This is how I do it, though on my Ninja 250 I leave it in first. I've heard a lot of people recommend 2nd gear as well.

Largewill, which parking area is your bike in? (I'm assuming it's still there, but hopefully it isn't.)
Unread
  (#12)
U aving a giggle m8

November 25, 2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menotomy View Post
This is how I do it, though on my Ninja 250 I leave it in first. I've heard a lot of people recommend 2nd gear as well.

Largewill, which parking area is your bike in? (I'm assuming it's still there, but hopefully it isn't.)
It's in Shenandoah. There are a few people that leave there bikes all the time (I guess for on campus students? I'm a grad student so the whole commuting thing is a little strange). I think it should be good for a while if worst comes to worst. Are you at Mason?

I was just running with the clutch in and pushing the button. So get it up to speed, and then just drop the clutch and it'll turn on? Even without the starter being pushed?

2003 CBR F4i
Unread
  (#13)
GP Racer

November 25, 2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
I was just running with the clutch in and pushing the button. So get it up to speed, and then just drop the clutch and it'll turn on? Even without the starter being pushed?
You are basically starting it without the electric starter, so the button isn't necessary. Jumping on before dropping the clutch is also important.

Do not turn it off after you get it going. I've seen people bump start a bike, then stop to say "Hey guys look what I did!" and then have to do it all over again.

2011 Z1000
Unread
  (#14)
MSF Student

November 25, 2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
So get it up to speed, and then just drop the clutch and it'll turn on? Even without the starter being pushed?
Correct, no need to push the starter button when bump starting the bike. I've always done it with the bike in gear, hold in the clutch and run alongside the bike. Then hop on once you have some momentum and just dump the clutch, the bike will either fire up or attempt to fire up. Having the bike on a slight hill helps a lot.

Did you replace the stator with a new one or a used one? Sounds like it could still be a charging issue. I had similar issues on my old Ninja and it ended up being the regulator/rectifier that went bad and was causing charging issues.
Unread
  (#15)
U aving a giggle m8

November 25, 2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocZ View Post
You are basically starting it without the electric starter, so the button isn't necessary. Jumping on before dropping the clutch is also important.
Do not turn it off after you get it going. I've seen people bump start a bike, then stop to say "Hey guys look what I did!" and then have to do it all over again.
Haha will do. Good to know all this stuff going forward. I thought I knew how it all worked, but it was kind of like the I knew the knowledge but had never applied it. I was afraid if I dropped the clutch it would just stop moving and both the bike and myself would just go spilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitMike View Post
Correct, no need to push the starter button when bump starting the bike. I've always done it with the bike in gear, hold in the clutch and run alongside the bike. Then hop on once you have some momentum and just dump the clutch, the bike will either fire up or attempt to fire up. Having the bike on a slight hill helps a lot.
Did you replace the stator with a new one or a used one? Sounds like it could still be a charging issue. I had similar issues on my old Ninja and it ended up being the regulator/rectifier that went bad and was causing charging issues.
The stator was replaced with a new one (I had it done at Brooks Cycle), so I'd think it was new. I'm not sure when the previous owner replaced the battery, and I didn't have it on a tender the past couple weeks with the cold weather. Figure it would be a good place to start since the lights were dim, and the tach needle wouldn't even fire up.

2003 CBR F4i