DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 553
1 members and 552 guests
beatle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
GPS reccomendations...
Unread
  (#1)
Thank you, come again!

GPS reccomendations... - June 8, 2009, 01:27 PM

I don't know much about motorcycle GPS's other than the fact that they are expensive...

just looking for some recomendation's on different GPS models, cheaper the better
if you had any good or bad experiences with these things, let me know...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to curryfizzle  
Unread
  (#2)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

June 8, 2009, 01:42 PM

Garmin. Been using them for 15 years. I have 3 models each for a different use. Look into the Zumo series. Try to for a 450 used or a left over 550. If not them the Nuvi works but most are not water proof. Also look into RAM mounts. I use www.gpscity.com The 4.3 screen rocks and is easy to read. The little screen is hard to read while moving.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Super Moderator

June 9, 2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curryfizzle View Post
I don't know much about motorcycle GPS's other than the fact that they are expensive...

just looking for some recomendation's on different GPS models, cheaper the better
Ok. I SWEAR by Garmin. It has the better mapping system and ease of control than the rest. I have the Nuvi 750 (I think) that has the extra wide screen. The Zumos are specifically designed for bikes (they supposedly withstand the vibration better) Vibration will kill your GPS. I use a Ram mount on mine. Ill take a pics tomorrow...

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

June 9, 2009, 08:44 PM

There are AT LEAST 2 very important things that cheap GPS units don't have, and motorcyclists require:

- Sunlight readable screen. Most GPS units are made for a car. In direct sunlight, you will see nothing.

- Ability to design custom routes. Most GPS units get you from point to point, but they don't let you design your own routes. What is the fun in that? My Garmin 450 comes with software (crappy software, but still) and I can plan my route exactly as I want it.
Unread
  (#5)
I hate Hybrid drivers

June 9, 2009, 10:22 PM

i'm going to be dropping the cash for the new Zumo 660. it better be worth it
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=15000
Unread
  (#6)
Thank you, come again!

June 9, 2009, 11:57 PM

sounds like a worthy investment... its going on my list of things to buy
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to curryfizzle  
Unread
  (#7)
This Ain't My First Time!

June 10, 2009, 12:23 AM

Don't forget about the garmin quest. It is color and it has been on the market for a while. I have had mine since 2005 and I am very happy with it. It has been working just fine since I have had it. I have also mounted it on my off road trail/dirt bike and have had no issues with it. If that does not attest to its vibration handling qualities nothing will. They have been on the market for a whiile so you can pick one up quite cheap. It also has a color display. It can be mounted in the car and on the bike.

OVER? did you say "Over"? Nothing is over until we decide its over, was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell No!!!

~Blutarski~

Dodge131:
If your goal is to scrape knee within 1 mile of your house then you sir have a problem.

Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
noise

June 10, 2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post
There are AT LEAST 2 very important things that cheap GPS units don't have, and motorcyclists require:

- Sunlight readable screen. Most GPS units are made for a car. In direct sunlight, you will see nothing.

- Ability to design custom routes. Most GPS units get you from point to point, but they don't let you design your own routes. What is the fun in that? My Garmin 450 comes with software (crappy software, but still) and I can plan my route exactly as I want it.
I'd like to add 1 real nice feature... Route tracking so you can save the route you rode that day so you can include it later on to your custom route planner!

"Love is love and family is what is around you and who is in your immediate sphere."
Unread
  (#9)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

June 10, 2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curryfizzle View Post

I'll second, third...whatever for the Garmin units.

I have a 2610 and a 2730. I am planning to sell the 2610 and upgrade to a 2820 or Zumo 550. If you are interested, I'll sell it for $100 and we can meet up somewhere for an exchange. It currently has maps for the entire US loaded on a 2GB CF card. I've had this unit for a coupld of years now and it has been an excellent device. Stickly point though is that I have to go dig out the CD that came with it and has the mapsource software

Let me know!
Unread
  (#10)
Spike

June 10, 2009, 11:06 AM

Garmin FTW!!!!

RIP Greg Walker, I will never forget you

If everybody thought before they spoke, the silence would be deafening
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jtatooz Send a message via Yahoo to jtatooz Send a message via AIM to jtatooz Send a message via Skype™ to jtatooz 
Unread
  (#11)
I hate Hybrid drivers

June 17, 2009, 01:12 PM

I just ordered a TomTom Rider 2. It was $300 on Amazon. The Zumo 660 is just too expensive ($800) with a bunch of features i would never use. I basically just need it to be water proof, blue tooth speaker and i need to be able to make my own route so TomTom wins.

Unread
  (#12)
Knee Draggin!

June 17, 2009, 08:13 PM

Don't forget AMA's Garmin discount.
Unread
  (#13)
starbucks ADV rider

June 17, 2009, 09:52 PM

Zumo 5fiddy best money ive spent. specially if you like to plan your routes ahead of time....