DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 548
1 members and 547 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Grr stripped allen
Unread
  (#1)
NW DC Rider

Grr stripped allen - August 25, 2007, 03:42 AM

Going to install rearsets tonight, but the small hex that holds on the shift rod decided to strip instead of coming off

I don't have any tools except basic sockets, etc so any help or advice in getting this off and replaced would be helpful

The pic is obviously not of the actual stripped rearset, but I already put it back together so you'll have to use your imagination to imagine a stock rearset stripped.

-Ryan

2007 Yamaha R6 (race)
2003 Yamaha R6 (sold)
CCS #341
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to rhouck Send a message via AIM to rhouck Send a message via MSN to rhouck  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Racer

August 25, 2007, 07:13 AM

Is it acessible enought to cut the top so it will look like a flathead?
What about using a small hammer to tap a bigger allen into the hole?
If that doesnt work you may have to go get a bolt extractor.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
#swag

August 25, 2007, 07:54 AM

Yamaha uses green loctite on that bolt.. I stripped the same one on my R1.. I had to used a blow torch and then used a pair of plyers to unscrew it once it was red hot.. Then I had to replace the bolt..

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Nick  
Unread
  (#4)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

August 25, 2007, 09:07 AM

Yup use a dremel and cut a slot real deep but not beyond the thickness of the bolt head! Use heat or better use a spray loctite remover from an auto parts store. If by some reason this doesn't work pm me and I can get the bolt out monday at my work. I am a machinist in NW. I also could get it out at home but I live in Sterling.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#5)
NW DC Rider

August 25, 2007, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFORC1
Yamaha uses green loctite on that bolt.. I stripped the same one on my R1.. I had to used a blow torch and then used a pair of plyers to unscrew it once it was red hot.. Then I had to replace the bolt..
Damn... you don't happen to know if it's a standard size bolt so that I can pick one up locally without having to get it ordered in, do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131
Yup use a dremel and cut a slot real deep but not beyond the thickness of the bolt head! Use heat or better use a spray loctite remover from an auto parts store. If by some reason this doesn't work pm me and I can get the bolt out monday at my work. I am a machinist in NW. I also could get it out at home but I live in Sterling.
I know a guy nearby with a dremel; I'll have to see if I can borrow it. Though I'm a bit nervous to do anything too drastic because at least right now it's rideable (since I didn't even budge it), but if I destroy the bolt, that might make things difficult.

I need to find where to get a replacement first too.. but I may end up trying to coordinate with you once I do (since my limited tool collection certainly doesn't include a blow torch!)

-Ryan

2007 Yamaha R6 (race)
2003 Yamaha R6 (sold)
CCS #341
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to rhouck Send a message via AIM to rhouck Send a message via MSN to rhouck  
Unread
  (#6)
GP Racer

August 25, 2007, 05:10 PM

dude, you can get a little propane torch for nothing at sears. it's a good thing to have. it's cheap. just use common sense and be careful.

Last edited by Zice; August 25, 2007 at 05:30 PM..
Unread
  (#7)
back to the salt mines...

August 25, 2007, 06:11 PM

If you do decide to use heat, the safest way to do it is with a hex key that you can throw away afterward; hold the the key in a pair of vise grips or pliers, and heat it while it is seated. You can then attack with whatever you choose--dremeled screw slot, slightly larger key, etc. Dodge's offer does look too good to pass on, tho....
Unread
  (#8)
#swag

August 25, 2007, 07:21 PM

Didn't know that was you that we rode with today dude..

I'm not sure of the bolt size, I was fortunate enough that my buddy had an extra laying in his tool box..

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Nick  
Unread
  (#9)
NW DC Rider

August 26, 2007, 02:15 PM

^ haha yeah I didn't read your response til after I got home.

I think I found a bolt that fits at the local hardware store, though I won't know until after I get this old one out....

Problem with blow torch is I live in an apt and working on my bike in the garage already gets me odd looks; if I bust out a blow torch near other people's cars I think the old people are going to be pissed

Oh and reminder to myself not to work on my bike at 4am after a night of drinking... I overlooked the very basic fact that I can remove the whole damn thing from the bike. Here are pics of it:

strip1.JPG

strip2.JPG

strip3.JPG

And this is what it looks like on my bike (not actually my pic but you get the idea; it's covered by the rubber boot)

linkage.JPG

Only problem of course is that my bike is my only mode of transportation so that anywhere I take it needs to be close by (or I need to snag a ride). Even on the bike though I can get to it in <5 minutes by taking off the rearset (and at most the lower left fairing).

-Ryan

2007 Yamaha R6 (race)
2003 Yamaha R6 (sold)
CCS #341
Unread
  (#10)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

August 26, 2007, 05:45 PM

OK first those pics are too small to see and when you click on them to enlarge them they all blurry! Second vice grips should work! Or grind the the head all off, take off your shifter end and then use vice grips.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#11)
NW DC Rider

August 26, 2007, 09:40 PM

Yeah my camera isn't great but the settings were messed up so they came out really blurry. The point was just to show the piece off the bike and the general situation (i.e. stripped out head, set into a piece of aluminum).

Took it to the hardware store and they couldn't get out with vice grips.

I tried heating/cooling but didn't work, though didn't help that the people in the hardware store absolutely murdered what was left of the head.

And I'm at a loss as to how grinding is going to fix it... what am I going to grab with vice grips if I grind it all down?

-Ryan

2007 Yamaha R6 (race)
2003 Yamaha R6 (sold)
CCS #341