DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 546
2 members and 544 guests
beatle, Leoallafila
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
gsxr battery issue or something else?
Unread
  (#1)
05 Gixxer 750

Thumbs down gsxr battery issue or something else? - May 19, 2009, 08:52 AM

so yesterday my was running fine all day, then about 8 oclock i stopped at a light. And the bike shuts off when i come to a stop. Thinking it was the connection i pulled to a gas station, and the connection was fine...so this is what happens... i try to start it and the gauges light up for like 2 or 3 minutes then the dim out, and it wont start.....

R.I.P Victor Moran 4-11-85 6-10-07
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
TPG - screw face

May 19, 2009, 09:07 AM

gsxr are notorious for having hot start issues. a few quick things you can try:

turn the key to the off/on position a few times - making sure the connection is solid inside

let it sit for a while. Sometimes the starter motor is retarded. Specially after stop and go traffic.

the r/r can get stupid hot and causing faux charging issues..again..let it sit (go grab a cup of coffee or somethin...doesn't take long)
i'm actually making a venting section on my tail for my r/r. I've seen some hook up a small cpu fan - yea...it's like that

did a bump start work? if so...go ride around and try to keep ur rpms above 4k so ur charging system can get a good work out.

go ahead (if u haven't already) search "hot starts" on gixxer.com - it'll take u about 2 years to read through everything

sounds like u may jus need a battery though.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Licensed Rider

May 19, 2009, 09:23 AM

Did you check the battery connections? I had a similar problem. The battery cable was loose and bouncing off the terminal while i rode.
Unread
  (#4)
where the good spotz at ?

May 19, 2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxxerBoy View Post
so yesterday my was running fine all day, then about 8 oclock i stopped at a light. And the bike shuts off when i come to a stop. Thinking it was the connection i pulled to a gas station, and the connection was fine...so this is what happens... i try to start it and the gauges light up for like 2 or 3 minutes then the dim out, and it wont start.....
what year is your gixxer ? check the kickstand switch ....

DBR 4 Life
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to kidcycle Send a message via AIM to kidcycle  
Unread
  (#5)
05 Gixxer 750

May 19, 2009, 02:55 PM

appreciate the replies....its a 2005 gsxr..and it was just the battery...

Unread
  (#6)
TPG - screw face

May 19, 2009, 02:56 PM

Unread
  (#7)
05 Gixxer 750

May 19, 2009, 09:37 PM

i guess i was wrong... i bought a brand new battery, and rode for like 30 minutes then stop to get gas and it dosent start....any other suggestions?? alternator or maybe something else?

Unread
  (#8)
TPG - screw face

May 20, 2009, 08:17 AM

$20 says you didn't charge the battery before you put it in the bike (assuming you bought a non-maintenance free battery). If you had to add the acid, you have to charge it for about 4-8 hours or some shiz (on a trickle charger) faster if you have a big joint.

I work in Tysons...bring mah chedda
Unread
  (#9)
Got my Permit

May 20, 2009, 09:32 AM

My old 06 had the tip over switch comeing loose and caused it to not start or stop running sometimes!

Burn Rubber not Ur Soul!!!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to 1WheelUp  
Unread
  (#10)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

May 29, 2009, 06:48 AM

Regulator or Stator. Get the bike running and check voltage at the battery with the rpms around 5000. Should be about 14 volts. If not, then you need to find your stator connecter that goes to the regulator. Unplug it and with the bike running check the stator side of the connector for AC volts. There should be 3 wires in the plug. Check across the wires, not to ground. Check each combination across all three, two at a time. You should be pushing around 70 volts ac out of the stator with the engine rpms up around 4000. Also check for continuity with the engine off across the same wires. Should be down around 0 to .5 or in that ball park. If that all checks good, then its your regulator. But before changing any parts, make sure all your connections are good and tight.