DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 518
2 members and 516 guests
beatle, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
GSXR Starting Issue HELP!!
Unread
  (#1)
Railing!

GSXR Starting Issue HELP!! - February 24, 2014, 05:46 PM

Description: 2007 GSXR 600. I have a keyless ignition wired to my kill switch. You just turn on the kill switch, pull in the clutch, and hit starter button. The bike started fine 3 weeks ago and I have not started or ridden it since. Battery is charged. All connections are secure and in good enough condition that I can see.

Issue: Once starter button is pushed I hear a loud "crackling" noise from the ECU area, but it is not the ECU as far as I can tell. The noise sounds like it is coming from the device circled in the below picture. Also, upon hitting starter button the gauge cluster goes berserk!!!

I put the bike in dealer mode and get back "_COO". I have no idea what is going on. Help!

photo.jpg
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Railing!

February 24, 2014, 06:01 PM

rapid clicking or crackling noise seems to be coming from starter solenoid relay. Would that account for all the weird noises and gauges flickering and jumping?
Unread
  (#3)
Signed up for Track Days!

February 24, 2014, 06:06 PM

dead battery.. try that first.

if you dont have another battery laying around, use your car battery with jumper cables. Do not start the car.
Unread
  (#4)
Railing!

February 24, 2014, 06:26 PM

maybe a battery issue, but it seems worse than just that. thanks though.

swapped the green "30" fuse and no go. Same issues. The throttle bodies seemed to be making a noise as well so took off the airbox and the device circled in the picture below was making a repetitive noise like its trying to figure out what to do or is stuck?

photo (1).jpg

Last edited by !ThatGuy!; February 24, 2014 at 09:52 PM..
Unread
  (#5)
Railing!

February 24, 2014, 07:49 PM

well, pulled a plug or two, put em back together and threw the battery on the tender. going to let it charge overnight and see what happens
Unread
  (#6)
Chasing the dragon

February 24, 2014, 07:59 PM

Sure looks like a battery issue. Was it on a tender prior to this? Did you check the voltage across the battery? Load test?

More gas, less brake
Unread
  (#7)
Railing!

February 24, 2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okayh View Post
Sure looks like a battery issue. Was it on a tender prior to this? Did you check the voltage across the battery? Load test?
No, no, and no. Im not the best when it comes to stuff like that. I just ride the thing. LOL.

I need to grab a voltmeter from work tmrw and Ill test it out. More than likely I need a new battery and need to replace the starter solenoid relay.

Im crossing my fingers thats all it is
Unread
  (#8)
This Ain't My First Time!

February 24, 2014, 10:08 PM

Try to start by bypassing all the starter stuff. Connect battery to starter, make sure to have everything in the run position. This will bypass all the starter relay, etc. stuff just to get it running. That will tell you if the battery is any good. Volt ohm meter will not tell you anything useful about the battery. It needs to be load tested. Plenty of batteries will give you 12 volts and still be bad.

OVER? did you say "Over"? Nothing is over until we decide its over, was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell No!!!

~Blutarski~

Dodge131:
If your goal is to scrape knee within 1 mile of your house then you sir have a problem.

Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)
Got Any Gwapes?

February 25, 2014, 07:30 AM

Have you checked your battery cables? May not be tight enough.

"I didn't know they gave out rings at the Holocaust"

*GODFATHER*
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to boomboom929  
Unread
  (#10)
Railing!

February 25, 2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf3232 View Post
Try to start by bypassing all the starter stuff. Connect battery to starter, make sure to have everything in the run position. This will bypass all the starter relay, etc. stuff just to get it running. That will tell you if the battery is any good. Volt ohm meter will not tell you anything useful about the battery. It needs to be load tested. Plenty of batteries will give you 12 volts and still be bad.
so disconnect the red and black cables running to the starter solenoid relay and hook them up directly to the battery? What all needs to be in the "run" position?

Hooked up my voltmeter to the battery and it read 10V with nothing on, 9V with power on, and 7.5-8V upon hitting ignition. Im not sure how to "load test", but ill youtube it and give it a go.
Unread
  (#11)
Chasing the dragon

February 25, 2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by !ThatGuy! View Post
so disconnect the red and black cables running to the starter solenoid relay and hook them up directly to the battery? What all needs to be in the "run" position?

Hooked up my voltmeter to the battery and it read 10V with nothing on, 9V with power on, and 7.5-8V upon hitting ignition. Im not sure how to "load test", but ill youtube it and give it a go.
Voltage needs to be up around 12.6V to crank. You can take the battery to a shop or car store to get it load tested. The internetz will show you how to do the poor mans way of using a stop watch, resistor, and some alligator clips.

KISS. Get the battery taken care of before doing anything else.

More gas, less brake
Unread
  (#12)
turn or crash....

February 25, 2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okayh View Post
Voltage needs to be up around 12.6V to crank. You can take the battery to a shop or car store to get it load tested. The internetz will show you how to do the poor mans way of using a stop watch, resistor, and some alligator clips.

KISS. Get the battery taken care of before doing anything else.
This, if your getting 10V on the battery without load and after being on a charger/tender, your battery is bad.

- djkouza
############
Bikes: I might own one...
############
djkouza - XBOX
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to djkouza  
Unread
  (#13)
Typical Stripper

February 25, 2014, 09:19 AM

Get a new battery, lazy!!!!

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#14)
Railing!

February 25, 2014, 09:32 AM

Battery seems to be the general consensus. I didnt think a low battery charge would cause all the flickering of the gauges and crackling noises form starter solenoid, thus my concern.

Ive had low batteries before and all that happened was that the bike wouldnt crank. No weird noises and certainly no gauge cluster madness.

Ordering a new battery and will go from there. Thanks for the comments. Except Nate, Nate hurt my delicate feelings. (good luck at Roebling, hope you dont get drenched)

Hmmmm maybe its time I jump on one of those fancy Ballistic EVO2's......

Last edited by !ThatGuy!; February 25, 2014 at 09:38 AM..
Unread
  (#15)
Stop light racer...

February 25, 2014, 10:40 AM

Yup classic Solenoid going crazy due to low battery voltage. I picked up a Ballistic EVO a few months back, real nice battery, very small and light with plenty of cranking power! +1

- Norway Daily, 90' VFR750, V4 Touring Beast
- USA Daily, 08' Versys - Urban Assault vehicle
- Toy, 02' Ducati 900ss - Loud and angry noises
- Toy, 89' FZR600 - Raw Inline Deathbox
- Project, 91' CB250 - Goal: lightweight city bike
- Project, 79' CB350 - Finally runs, now to finish

- Sold, Red 94' VS800 - Loud as F@*$
* R.I.P. Blue 06' SV650, murdered by DC!
* R.I.P. Black 98' FZR600, murdered by DC!
- Sold, Red 81' GS650
- Sold, Black 81' CM400T