DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 502
3 members and 499 guests
boomboom929, GRN96WS6, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Has anyone used this for a street bike?
Unread
  (#1)
no one's blowing up moons

Has anyone used this for a street bike? - March 11, 2012, 11:29 AM

Lithium-Iron battery. And if you did -

What brand?
How did it perform?
Size/weight?
Reliability?

I'm looking to improve performance, power my heated gear from the bike or install a power socket/adapter. I don't store my bike so the spring roll out isn't an issue.

Thanks

Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz
2009 Suzuki TU250XK9 - KBC Sep 2013
2001 Honda Rebel CMX - KBC Mar 2010

http://flexyourrights.org/
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
No more 1050 :(

March 11, 2012, 11:47 AM

I was gonna get one of those Shorai batteries, but WAY too many bad reports out there for my liking... the QC at that company is in the shitter right now- they're putting out garbage just because it'll sell.

Haven't heard many bad things about ballistic batteries, but haven't heard many good things either. As of now I'm sticking with the tried and true because I know it works.
Unread
  (#3)
no one's blowing up moons

March 11, 2012, 12:43 PM

Thanks, I didn't know anything about problems at the company.

I did find this Shorai Motorcycle Battery vs. Ballistic Motorcycle Battery Comparison - webBikeWorld but even they're asking for comments from anyone with real world experience.

I got my bike two years ago, new, and have already replaced the battery (corroded terminal) once. I've never used a tender and it never wouldn't start (except once with the corroded terminal). I put an air horn on the bike but no other mods. I've noticed a drop in the head-light output sometimes so I'm concerned about any further load on the electrical system (like heated gear).

I guess I'm looking for more info to plan for the next battery change. If it's going to be reliability/cost effective to make the change I'll want to make sure I have a few extra bucks on hand to cover it.

Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz
2009 Suzuki TU250XK9 - KBC Sep 2013
2001 Honda Rebel CMX - KBC Mar 2010

http://flexyourrights.org/
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

March 11, 2012, 12:52 PM

The lithium batteries are sweet for reducing weight. However they do have some quirks, for one: You do not want to drain one. It will shut down and leave you stranded. I installed a Shorai battery at the same time I upgraded the stator for increased power output on my KTM and haven't had any issues.

These batteries are much smaller and incredidably light. When I picked up the box my battery was in when I first got it I thought they had forgotten to include the battery. LOL.

These new style batteries are intolorant of being completely discharged. You also have to make sure you use the right type of charger on them as well.

Keep one thing in mind: Your stator is the determing factor in how much draw you can take off the system for electrical accessories, not the battery. Doesn't matter what type or brand battery you use if the charging system can't meet the demand, it's still gonna go belly up.

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.
Unread
  (#5)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

March 12, 2012, 05:51 PM

i have a shorai. No issues so far
Unread
  (#6)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

March 12, 2012, 05:59 PM

Pics?

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#7)
Give me the Ban Button!

March 12, 2012, 06:03 PM

Lightweight Motorcycle Batteries | Full Spectrum Power

Check them out. They are local and the owner is on this site. Plus he is a rider and very helpful!

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#8)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

March 12, 2012, 06:16 PM

I have heard great things about the batteries except in the cold. You have to warm the battery before it will start the bike. By switching the bike on and off a few times.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

March 12, 2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131 View Post
I have heard great things about the batteries except in the cold. You have to warm the battery before it will start the bike. By switching the bike on and off a few times.
I've heard the same thing, but so far haven't had any really cold weather to deal with. Was told that turning on the headlight for a minute or two will draw enough power to warm them up. Hopefully not going to find out at this point till next winter!

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.
Unread
  (#10)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

March 12, 2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown View Post
I've heard the same thing, but so far haven't had any really cold weather to deal with. Was told that turning on the headlight for a minute or two will draw enough power to warm them up. Hopefully not going to find out at this point till next winter!
Yea this condition happened a few times on our race bikes. Saw it happen this past weekend at the races in GA.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#11)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

March 12, 2012, 07:47 PM

No pictures of it installed, maybe ill take one tomorrow, but man it is lighter than the one I took out. A good bit smaller too.