DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 519
2 members and 517 guests
beatle, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Have I been "spoiled" by good shops in NOVA?
Unread
  (#1)
ಠ_ಠ The Cleaner ಠ_ಠ

Have I been "spoiled" by good shops in NOVA? - August 31, 2011, 04:18 PM

Last Monday I realized my clutch cable was starting to fray, so I drove out to the two local shops to see if they had any in stock. Neither did, so I placed an order with the shop I generally don't use, but since they sponsor the club down here now I figure I'd give them a shot.

They're not a Suzuki dealer or anything but the guy said they could get me the clutch cable by Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest depending on if the order hits on time. This made sense to me, I got boots through RNR and an extra key at Loudoun Motorsports and both special orders had arrived the next day with no issues. My preferred shop has said 5 days, so I told them I'd probably come back to get an extra one when it wasn't urgent.

Order didn't come in on Tuesday, and I didn't really think it would being in the middle of nowhere. He said he'd call when it came in on Wednesday or if anything changed. No call on Wednesday, so I called about an hour before they closed to see what was up, and the guy said the item was actually out of stock from their supplier and they had to order from a different company. Two more days and it should be here. They're open on Saturdays so I called, not there. Check Monday.

On Monday a different guy says the truck hadn't arrived yet, and he'd give me a call when it showed up. No call of course, so I figured I'd wait until today to call. The guy says it's coming from California and will probably take 3 or 4 more days. Wat.

Is this normal for shops? I've only dealt with shops in Northern Virginia and had great service, with constant calls from the shop when anything changes, and I guarantee you guys are moving through a lot more bikes and customers than these people. I'll be making all my orders through my old shop from now on, since they're a little slower but at least they're honest about delivery dates.

Whenever a post needs posting, I appear, then I'm gone.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hokierider  
Unread
  (#2)
ಠ_ಠ The Cleaner ಠ_ಠ

August 31, 2011, 04:19 PM

Also, where are all you people with DRZ400's out there taking the country's supply of clutch cables? I hate you!

Unread
  (#3)
FASTER

August 31, 2011, 04:33 PM

For OEM parts try mrcycles.com. I just get regular ground shipping and get everything I have ever ordered in a week or less. There is another site I just can't seem to remember right now.
I always hate when people over promise and under perform. I have learned through working that it is much better to do the opposite.

Favorite thing on my bike: the miles I put on it
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JUSTGO  
Unread
  (#4)
starbucks ADV rider

August 31, 2011, 06:54 PM

+1 just order it online... Fack the local shops
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
GP Racer

August 31, 2011, 07:54 PM

If it makes you feel any better, I bought an engine case slider for my Triple online back in May. It still hasn't arrived. Back ordered. Supposedly will arrive in a week or so. Customer service response has been very good, but a 3 month wait???
Unread
  (#6)
Derpetologist

August 31, 2011, 08:26 PM

i had an experience like that with an online store (based out of a brick and mortar in NY). 1 month wait in the end.

About 5 days after I placed the order, I asked what's up cause I hadn't heard anything. They said they were out of stock and that they were expecting a delivery in 7-10 business days. 2 weeks later I emailed them to ask what's up, and they said they had a minimum order requirement with the supplier so they had to add more stuff to the order on their end before it would get released. About a week after that I finally got the notification of shipping.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt since I wasn't in a hurry, and I dunno about that side of supplier relationships and such. It was a rare tool anyways.

*Not intended to be a factual statement.

Last edited by Rail; August 31, 2011 at 08:29 PM..
Unread
  (#7)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

August 31, 2011, 09:12 PM

Sounds like bullshit to me. If they stuck with stock only parts...and were waiting for the cheapest possible shipping....then you get waits like that. If you want fast response, tell them when you need period.

I race a KTM 300 dirtbike. I order stuff only for it all the time. Multiple different dealerships have all had the same quick turnaround. They have very few in person shops. They make up for it with amazing response online. (And a decent catalog)

Next point - yes support your local race shops. I do when I can. But if it's stock stuff and response times you are talking about...go to rocky mountain ATV and see if they have a generic part instead. I get tires, chemicals, tools, etc. All fast. And all as promised. I've rarely had any issues with an order. maybe once have I had 1 thing backordered.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#8)
ಠ_ಠ The Cleaner ಠ_ಠ

August 31, 2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudDawg View Post
Sounds like bullshit to me. If they stuck with stock only parts...and were waiting for the cheapest possible shipping....then you get waits like that. If you want fast response, tell them when you need period.

I race a KTM 300 dirtbike. I order stuff only for it all the time. Multiple different dealerships have all had the same quick turnaround. They have very few in person shops. They make up for it with amazing response online. (And a decent catalog)

Next point - yes support your local race shops. I do when I can. But if it's stock stuff and response times you are talking about...go to rocky mountain ATV and see if they have a generic part instead. I get tires, chemicals, tools, etc. All fast. And all as promised. I've rarely had any issues with an order. maybe once have I had 1 thing backordered.
Word, yea the shop I usually use is a tiny race shop that focuses on suspension, I love the atmosphere and attitude. I tried using the more dealer oriented shop and found out the difference. Looks like I'll be going the online route unless I'm in a rush, and then it's Go-Race for me from now on

Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

August 31, 2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokierider View Post
Word, yea the shop I usually use is a tiny race shop that focuses on suspension, I love the atmosphere and attitude. I tried using the more dealer oriented shop and found out the difference. Looks like I'll be going the online route unless I'm in a rush, and then it's Go-Race for me from now on
Man Go-Race is the only shop worth a crap in the Blacksburg area. The guy who owns it (Travis) was the guy who 12 years ago took me under his wing and taught me most of what I know about motorcycles. If you do order anything from a shop be sure to ask what the availability is for the item before placing the order.
Unread
  (#10)
ಠ_ಠ The Cleaner ಠ_ಠ

August 31, 2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLEVEL View Post
Man Go-Race is the only shop worth a crap in the Blacksburg area. The guy who owns it (Travis) was the guy who 12 years ago took me under his wing and taught me most of what I know about motorcycles. If you do order anything from a shop be sure to ask what the availability is for the item before placing the order.
Oh word you know Travis? He's an awesome dude, always been a great source of info and runs a good and honest business

Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

September 1, 2011, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Oh word you know Travis? He's an awesome dude, always been a great source of info and runs a good and honest business
Yea man I worked with Travis for about 3.5 years. He is the one who got me into this profession. He does good work and is a good dude. Who did you order your cable from? I'm guessing the shop next to sheetz?
Unread
  (#12)
ಠ_ಠ The Cleaner ಠ_ಠ

September 1, 2011, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLEVEL View Post
Yea man I worked with Travis for about 3.5 years. He is the one who got me into this profession. He does good work and is a good dude. Who did you order your cable from? I'm guessing the shop next to sheetz?
I don't think the sheetz is still there, but it's the one across the street from go-race if that's the same one

go-race sponsored us in the past which was awesome, they just didn't get enough business to keep it up. All my tires get changed there haha

I just feel bad now because them being honest about the delivery date is why I picked the other shop, and had I ordered it from them I'd be riding right now. I have yet to get on the trails down here

Unread
  (#13)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

September 1, 2011, 06:37 AM

Arrroooo? Dirtbiking trails? You rang?

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#14)
ಠ_ಠ The Cleaner ಠ_ಠ

September 1, 2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudDawg View Post
Arrroooo? Dirtbiking trails? You rang?

Blacksburg va. Get on my level

I've yet to see anything that compares with the videos you've posted from out west, but I also didn't learn how to look until this summer. Gonna grab some DOT knobbies and go exploring as soon as my sportbike friends get too cold and tired of being passed in the tight stuff

Unread
  (#15)
GP Champ

September 1, 2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
I don't think the sheetz is still there, but it's the one across the street from go-race if that's the same one

go-race sponsored us in the past which was awesome, they just didn't get enough business to keep it up. All my tires get changed there haha

I just feel bad now because them being honest about the delivery date is why I picked the other shop, and had I ordered it from them I'd be riding right now. I have yet to get on the trails down here
You're talking about Front line next to the car dealership. Yea I would steer clear of that shop unless they have what you need on the shelf. You can also checkout Pro Sports Suzuki in Christiansburg. It's located next to the Sheetz on 460 business about 5 miles from Go-Race. The guy who runs that place is a good friend also and keeps a good selection of parts on the shelfs.

Quote:
Blacksburg va. Get on my level

I've yet to see anything that compares with the videos you've posted from out west, but I also didn't learn how to look until this summer. Gonna grab some DOT knobbies and go exploring as soon as my sportbike friends get too cold and tired of being passed in the tight stuff
You should try out the Dunlop 606 tires. I ran them for years on my dual sport and they do great off road and still are not to bad on the street.