DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 541
3 members and 538 guests
GRN96WS6, legendindisguise, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Help help help!
Unread
  (#1)
Got my Permit

Help help help! - January 7, 2008, 07:54 PM

I went to winterize my bike the other day . Fill tank, change oil etc. but the bike wont start. thought it might be the battery so i pulled it and charged it over night. Tried again and still wont start. Whenever I try I just get a clicking from the battery area(not sure if its actually coming from the battery) Is there a problem with my electrical system,starter? Could it be the carbs need cleaning? I'm no mechanic so i dont know.
Thanks guys
Oh by the way it is a "95 zx6r
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Largely Unsupervised....

January 7, 2008, 08:28 PM

You didn't say when the last time you rode it was.....but... FIRST, check the connections to your battery. If the leads are not getting good contact, the bike can have difficulty starting. Don't just LOOK at them...go ahead and loosen the cables, scuff them around the battery leads, and tighten the cables back down.

Alternately, if the bike hasn't been started in a month..or in some cases a few weeks, the battery may need to be charged. Get yourself a Battery Tender (not just a charger) and keep it hooked up during the Winter (if possible) - it will keep your battery properly charged without OVERcharging it.

Keep in mind, that depending on how many electronic gizmos are tapping into the electric system of the bike, how often you ride, whether the bike is stored indoors or outdoors (colder temps), and whether you utilize a battery tender or not - makes a difference on the how long the battery will last. Some are only good for a couple years with no battery tender and relatively heavy electronic loads.

Let us know if this helps.

--------------

This has been another fine contribution from Captain Craptastic.

2014 Harley Street Glide
'08 Brass Balls Bobber
'04 KTM 625 SMC
'78 Honda CB750K (soon to be mated to sidecar)
'07 SSR 125
'99 BMW K1200RS (SOLD)
'95 Honda Z50R (donated to a buddy)
'89 CR500R (SOLD)
'83 Honda CB1100F (SOLD)
'82 Honda CB750F (SOLD)

Last edited by Corbett; January 7, 2008 at 08:35 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
singin sweet home alabama

January 7, 2008, 08:34 PM

Hmm... just a click would argue for a dead battery. How old is the battery? Not maintaining them tends to kill them sooner I believe - eventually they dont hold a charge well.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#4)
FASTER

January 7, 2008, 09:30 PM

yeah I think it is a dead battery. You can charge a dead battery for days and not get anything. If its old or sits for a long time and becomes completely dead it is trash.

Favorite thing on my bike: the miles I put on it
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JUSTGO  
Unread
  (#5)
Firebreathing VTwin

January 7, 2008, 10:34 PM

Well the clicking is your starter solenoid, your getting enough current to close the contacts to the starter but not enough to turn your starter over.

As mentioned first your connections and general condition of your battery.
Loose connections, corrosion, bulging sides, sulfation (white spots visible on a clear sided bat.)

Even though you charged it overnight I would look further at your battery. First thing check the open bat voltage. Across the terminals, unloaded. Should be 12.5 Vdc+ If low recharge. If ok....

Check your loaded voltage. Turn your headlights on for 10 seconds and watch your voltage. Should not drop below 12 Vdc.

It should be a maintenance free battery, but if its not you can pull the caps make sure there is enough acid and even measure the specific gravity if you have a hydrometer.

OR
You could pull it and have a load test done. Take it by Advance Auto. I think their battery tester will do a load test on a MC battery. Make sure the underpaid idiot behind the counter puts the tester in the correct setting with the correct CCA rating. Its been while, but I used to be that underpaid partscounter jockey/idiot and I'm 99% sure our tester had a lawn/garden battery setting.

From the sounds of things you are going to be looking for a new battery. Spend the money, buy a good one. Prep it correctly, yourself. Dont trust the slightly better paid motorcycle enthusiast parts counter jockey at the dealership to let the plates absorb the acid and then charge at the correct amperage and time. (yeah I was one of them too)

Then your going to want a Battery Tender, see above parts salesman. Then its your job to use it!

for a good lesson on batteries check this out

http://www.batterystuff.com/tutorial_battery.html

MARK DIEDERICH
Love the one you've got...
Cause you might get run over, or you might get shot.
Unread
  (#6)
Track Ho

January 8, 2008, 12:42 AM

keep charging it

I have to chare my track bike every week or it will not start

"I am officially retired so please don't ban me"
Unread
  (#7)
singin sweet home alabama

January 8, 2008, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6hokie
keep charging it

I have to chare my track bike every week or it will not start
This is also a sign of a dying battery. Mine is well on its way. I'll probably spring for a new one soon, because it sure would suck to be out somewhere on the bike and lo and behold, bike no go.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#8)
Derpentine Dealer

January 8, 2008, 07:41 AM

Because it is so common on older bikes w/ aged batteries, my first bet is that your electrical cables are not making good contact with the battery terminals for some reason. Pull them off and brush them and the cables down with a scotch pad or something. Otherwise your battery is shot. A motorcycle battery only has a few complete drains before it's shot. But before you give up on a battery, you should test it or have it tested by someone with a volt meter because that's cheaper than a new battery.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#9)
( * )|( * )

January 8, 2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8
Hmm... just a click would argue for a dead battery. How old is the battery? Not maintaining them tends to kill them sooner I believe - eventually they dont hold a charge well.
Your battery probably needs to be replaced, my guess is that it is not holding enough charge to start your bike.

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#10)
Got my Permit

January 8, 2008, 03:02 PM

yeah it has been almost a month since I rode. I just bought the battery in october. and it was ridding fine. Havent ridden since it started getting cold. My fault for not pulling the battery earlier. But I will take it to get it tested. See what happens. I am not really sure what the difference is between a charger and a tender. When I charged it, it went into "float" mode so i assumed that ment it was charged.I tighted the terminals to make sure I had good contact. There was a gel on the posts that the guy put on there but i just cleared enuf away to get good contact. If the battery is good could it be the starter?
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to