DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 495
1 members and 494 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Help w/ Exhaust Pipe Bending/Cutting..
Unread
  (#1)
Republicans for Voldemort

Help w/ Exhaust Pipe Bending/Cutting.. - December 20, 2007, 03:34 PM

I am in the midst of doing a rebuild on a older KTM low dual pipe adventure...

Here is a pic of it stripped and you can see where the left side pipe comes from underneath the bike..

You can see the pipe come out under/near the kickstand...

Anyway, as I like to do stream crossing and such - the low pipes are a liability -so I want to do higher/upswept pipes ... I have investigated different ways to correct this - most are cost prohibitive - and/or require modifications (cutting the subframe) I don't want to do...

What I would like to do is cut the pipe on the right hand side before the Y joint where it goes to the left hand side.. Like this - I tried to identify where I would like to cut and where the joint is..

So that it would like like this..

This is another 620 like mine that had it's dual system removed as well. If you follow the crack in the pavement - I believe you can see the joint where the OEM pipes ends then there is a custom pipe with 2 bends in which then connects to the supertrapp...While I am still not a big fan of having the pipe under the frame - I can protect it with a skidplate and a higher pipe would allow me to cross high water. I would like to do the same thing - only make the pipe a bit longer so it would clear my hard luggage and/or rear tanks. Similiar to this:

So while I have done mods to previous bike - I am not a good welder/fabricator - So, I was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of someone who would be able to weld/bend such a piece (and direct me to what kind of pipe to get - thickness, size (same os oem, or thicker - etc..). The end would need to be flared so it would fit over the OEM header piece.. I have no clue what would be best for the end where the exhaust should be fitted/joined, flared or tapered - etc ??? I have a slip-on that could be used - it's got a short piece pipe coming out of it - I don't know if it's bend would be appropriate or not, or if the custom pipe I want bent should go right into the can (cut the short pierce of pipe off the slip-on)...

Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction... I will pay for the work. I can tow the bike - with the OEM exhaust on it - complete - off the bike - whatever works easiest.. etc....

-Jason
DAMN Rider DAMN Rider

Maybe you have to be messed up... before you can step up!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hondahawkrider Send a message via AIM to hondahawkrider  
Unread
  (#2)
( * )|( * )

December 20, 2007, 03:35 PM

Dodge or Nunya?

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Pleased to meet me

December 20, 2007, 04:11 PM

Stainless or mild steel?
Unread
  (#4)

December 20, 2007, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadambusiness
Stainless or mild steel?
Dunno.. whatever would be best... This bike is going to be my offroad / trail bike...It's not going to be perfect or pretty. Whatever works best is fine... or whatever I can get help with having down.

-Jason
DAMN Rider DAMN Rider

MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hondahawkrider Send a message via AIM to hondahawkrider  
Unread
  (#5)
Got my Permit

December 20, 2007, 04:23 PM

any exhaust shop should be able to do any/all of what u want.i.e. fairfax muffler & brake
Unread
  (#6)
Pleased to meet me

December 20, 2007, 04:26 PM

Is it rusted?
Unread
  (#7)

December 20, 2007, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Is it rusted?
There is some surface rust where the headers meet the block

that's really about the worst of it... I am working on getting them off now (hard as I am recovering from back surgery), but I will sand off the rust and get it back to bare metal. The exhuast is chrome or nickel plated - some of it has flaked off - but it doesn't appear to be rusted - ie not holes ... There is some rust on the exhaust cans/hanger - but im not planning on using those - so it shouldn't be a problem...

FWIW - my plan is NOT to have a solid one piece exhaust - going off road and such it's possible to damage it - so I would rather do the piece that gets broken, an not do the whole thing... Thus i am not looking to weld up up one piece to another... but would prefer to clamp the pieces together. Part of the reason it's far easier to unclamp and let water out that way (trust me- I have had to spend time running a dual sport - with water literally spurting out a tailpipe)..

Once I have all the pieces set up together - I will get everything jet coated to prevent any future rust

-Jason
DAMN Rider DAMN Rider

Last edited by hondahawkrider; December 20, 2007 at 05:06 PM..
Unread
  (#8)
Pleased to meet me

December 20, 2007, 05:45 PM

Put a magnet on it. If it sticks, it's just steel. MIG steel (easier) and I'd TIG stainlesss. One way is to get som flex pipe. Mount the muffler where you want it. Cut the header pipe. Use the flex to connect. Bring flex to muffler shop and say make me this.
Unread
  (#9)

December 20, 2007, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Put a magnet on it. If it sticks, it's just steel. MIG steel (easier) and I'd TIG stainlesss. One way is to get som flex pipe. Mount the muffler where you want it. Cut the header pipe. Use the flex to connect. Bring flex to muffler shop and say make me this.
cool deal... thanks for the info.... I will see if I can find the flex pipe and do a mock up...

-Jason
DAMN Rider DAMN Rider