DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 564
1 members and 563 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
How old is too old? New tires.
Unread
  (#1)
opossum puncher

How old is too old? New tires. - December 2, 2010, 05:38 PM

How old is too old.
Im not too concerned since the tires they are replacing were made in the 1st and 4th week of 07. But...

Got some Pilot Powers from the cyber Monday deal. Manufacture date is 47th week of 08 on the rear, and 5th week of 09 on the front. I dont know if they even still make new Pilot Powers or if they have been phased out.

Whats your thoughts/opinions on this?

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#2)
Has an idiot exemption

December 2, 2010, 06:46 PM

Ride them.

Steve
2015 Yamaha R1
2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2003 Honda CRF 150F Mini-monster
www.cornerspeed.net
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Your Ad Here

December 3, 2010, 12:17 AM

Yeah and no. You should be fine if they were stored properly; that's more important.

I've seen a pair of 4 year old tires that were stored right (sealed plastic bag, up off the ground, temperature control area) come out of storage, mounted and ran just like near new tires.

I've seen a set of brand new Continentals that were purchased at seasons end and naively stored improperly (left on the garage floor throughout the winter last year) and by the time he got ready to use them this summer, they were toast. Near dry rotted and stiff. He sold them to a stunter for $80.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
GDMFSOB

December 3, 2010, 07:35 AM

From what I understand, you don't want "fresh" tires. They actually need to sit for a little while after manufacture. Don't remember the details exactly, or how long. Heist is right about the storage though.

#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.
Unread
  (#5)
Derpentine Dealer

December 3, 2010, 07:37 AM

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#6)
Nubbs ban yourself!

December 3, 2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
Yeah and no. You should be fine if they were stored properly; that's more important.

I've seen a pair of 4 year old tires that were stored right (sealed plastic bag, up off the ground, temperature control area) come out of storage, mounted and ran just like near new tires.

I've seen a set of brand new Continentals that were purchased at seasons end and naively stored improperly (left on the garage floor throughout the winter last year) and by the time he got ready to use them this summer, they were toast. Near dry rotted and stiff. He sold them to a stunter for $80.
I have a set of tires I bought at the beginning of the year and never mounted them because I had a broken hand. They aren't sealed in plastic but have been sitting on a shelf in a shed, not on the concrete.
I have been wondering if they will be ok...

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
Unread
  (#7)
RIP Jeff Vega

December 3, 2010, 08:07 AM

IMO people over react about storage of tires...yada yada.

Just ride them, most people don't get anywhere near the limit of traction so no worries.
Unread
  (#8)
opossum puncher

December 3, 2010, 08:31 AM

Just to clarify, Im not concerned really, just wanted to broach the subject. I plan to mount them maybe this weekend if I find time to pop the rims off.

Im down to only one bike now so if I hit an early TD this spring it would be on these tires.

-

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
Unread
  (#9)
T.R.I.T.D.H

December 3, 2010, 09:29 AM

tires made in 08 and 09?....they would be MORE than okay....if you got something from 2000 then yeah start this thread...

I don't think they make new Pilot Powers....here is why....

I needed a rear tire and called all of my go to shops (SBTG, Jake Wilson, Derby)...BACKORDER
I called a few shops on a whim (motorcycle superstore, and some others)....BACKORDER
I called Colemans!!!....not in stock...so they say BACKORDER.

I happened to talk to a buddy who just mounted pirelli's and he said call shop A (cant remember the name)....they had stock....a LOT of stock...

so I bought them....but wondered why NO ONE ELSE HAD THEM IN STOCK....?????

b/c they probably don't make them anymore especially now that they have PP2CT's and the pures...

What do you value more? Life or Image?

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
Unread
  (#10)
opossum puncher

December 3, 2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkofDC View Post
tires made in 08 and 09?....they would be MORE than okay....if you got something from 2000 then yeah start this thread...
Like I noted before I didnt start the thread out of concern for my particular tires, I just wanted to open a debatable topic which seems to have a lot of gray area. People say to watch out for old tires from online distributors, but there is no official expiration date. Something I think higher silicone to rubber ratio has been affecting and pushing further out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkofDC View Post
I don't think they make new Pilot Powers....here is why....
b/c they probably don't make them anymore especially now that they have PP2CT's and the pures...
Yea thats what I was thinking. New tires are coming out every other year now, I remember when the Dunlop 207s came out and set the world on fire. Now the big 4/5 (Metzler is fading from the mainstream and owned by Perelli) all produce superb tires. As long as you arnt in need of the latest and greatest last years models offer a phenomenal price to performance ratio. I had actually planned on giving the newest Bridgestones a shot, since the last time I ran a new set of Bridgestones was in 2002, but the deal on these Powers was too good to pass up, and I was very happy with the last power I ended up with unexpectedly.

-

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
Unread
  (#11)
Life Begins at 150

December 3, 2010, 02:07 PM

Pilot Powers and 2ct are all discontinued
The Pilot pure is the current one
You need new tires, and I happen to sell them.
Seriously, tires that old should be fine, as long as they are stored properly.

RnR Cycles
45700 Woodland Rd, #160
Sterling VA 20166
703-433-9195
571-277-0892
www.RnRCycles.com
Unread
  (#12)
Derpentine Dealer

December 3, 2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed3 View Post
IMO people over react about storage of tires...yada yada.

Just ride them, most people don't get anywhere near the limit of traction so no worries.
Especially guys who are in class all the time and don't ride!

Oooooooohhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#13)
RIP Jeff Vega

December 3, 2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
Especially guys who are in class all the time and don't ride!

Oooooooohhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

I graduated in june and put about 5k miles on my fjr in 6 months or so. I'm still around, but lurking and doing my own thing.
Unread
  (#14)
Your Ad Here

December 3, 2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
From what I understand, you don't want "fresh" tires. They actually need to sit for a little while after manufacture. Don't remember the details exactly, or how long. Heist is right about the storage though.
My understanding is that tires fresh out the factory do need a little time to cure. But, not that you don't want fresh ones per se you just want to be very careful on them for the first 30 miles or so until you get all the excess mold release grease and excess oils out of the tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2sport View Post
I have a set of tires I bought at the beginning of the year and never mounted them because I had a broken hand. They aren't sealed in plastic but have been sitting on a shelf in a shed, not on the concrete.
I have been wondering if they will be ok...
They should be fine, there haven't been radical temperature swings this year and heat is not as bad as cold - but you definitely want to bag them in a large contractor trash bag, squeeze out the air, tie off and put them vertically somewhere if you can in a more climate stable area.

If you have any electrical equipment running (anything that creates a spark - fridge, sump pump, generator) you'll want to get them out of there or at least off the ground because the machines produce ozone and ozone attacks rubber and degrades it. (another issue my friend with the Conti's wasn't aware of. $300 pissed away).

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#15)
Derpentine Dealer

December 3, 2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed3 View Post
I graduated in june and put about 5k miles on my fjr in 6 months or so. I'm still around, but lurking and doing my own thing.
Me and the rest of your homies didn't witness a mile of it!

You still have the Honda?