DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 543
3 members and 540 guests
GRN96WS6, legendindisguise, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
I did a bad thing, now in need of skilled machinist
Unread
  (#1)
1/4 liter Duc eater

I did a bad thing, now in need of skilled machinist - July 15, 2007, 12:06 AM

My situation is this: I am faced with a snapped bolt in my engine casing on the bottom of the bike where the oil screen cover bolts on. The snapped thread is recessed in the casing. Additionally, I have very probably stripped the threads in the casing. I have no idea if it holds oil or not, that trial will have to wait until I have time to fill her up next week. I decided to just step back for a day or two breather after this happened...

In any event, I suspect I'll need the services of an old hand who can 1) drill out the snapped bolt and 2) retap or perform a helicoil type insert, whatever's appropriate. This kind of work on an aluminum casing seems like a delicate and high stakes deal so I'm hoping to connect with a skilled independent mechanic rather than hoping for the best at the dealership. Of course if anybody knows of a trusty mechanic at a dealership, I'm not against that option.

The bike is a Kawi ex 250. I am located in DC. Any leads on a skilled operator and a guesstimate as to the cost of this repair would be greatly appreciated.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
singin sweet home alabama

July 15, 2007, 12:47 AM

nevermind - misread

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#3)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

July 15, 2007, 07:32 AM

Must be your lucky week. I work in NW DC in a machine shop!! I will be out most of the day today so pm me your # and we can talk later tonite. DO NOT try to get the bolt out and make it worse please!!!!

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#4)
1/4 liter Duc eater

July 15, 2007, 02:45 PM

A machinist who's a forum regular and works in Northwest? Yeah that's lucky all right... PM sent.

And since I deserve a public shaming, I won't hide this in the PM. What happened is I got the torque value from a thread over in the ninja250 forum. The confusion was thread diameter versus hex head diameter (of course, several other threads there listed the correct value, but I bit on the first number I saw. Harsh lesson learned, don't rush these things).

So basically I torqued the bolts to 144 inch-pounds versus the proper 61. Ouch. One of them didn't hold up. The remaining 4 bolts are at the proper torque currently.

I didn't dare try an extraction. Just oiled it up this afternoon. It runs fine at idle and with a few blips on the throttle. Should be good for a short hop to a shop, though I suspect it has a slow leak. Hopefully the casing threads are ok for the other four bolts. I'll talk to dodge about the outlook for this little fiasco.
Unread
  (#5)
5 yrs till Brood X emerge

July 15, 2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneWill
So basically I torqued the bolts to 144 inch-pounds versus the proper 61. Ouch. One of them didn't hold up. The remaining 4 bolts are at the proper torque currently.
Replace all the bolts that were overtorqued, you may have overstressed the bolts. They may fall later, and you go through this little exercise again.
Unread
  (#6)
singin sweet home alabama

July 15, 2007, 06:27 PM

At least you didn't overtorque an axle nut like me. Mike (dodge) helped me out by cutting it off.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8