DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 555
3 members and 552 guests
2blueyam, amit, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
jet kit issues
Unread
  (#1)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

jet kit issues - July 6, 2009, 11:30 AM

Hello all.
I did some searching but couldn't find a good answer in an existing thread. Here's the deal:

I got a dynojet jetkit (and K&N air filter) put into my superhawk by a local honda shop (already had Jardine cans on it). I got it back last week and tried to take it out yesterday. The (cold) start was really rough and the rear cylinder (at least thats the area I think it was) sounded a little weird. I got it out of the neighborhood but it was doing a lot of crackling and backfiring when I closed the throttle. Also there is now a significant flat spot at about 4k rpm when accelerating. Then it died at every light I stopped at. So I got it home and turned the idle up a little. Still a lot of backfiring and the flat spot but not dying at lights anymore.
This morning on another cold start the noise from the rear cylinder area sounded worse, like something wasn't spinning in sync with everything else (this is my main concern) and it was slightly harder to get fired than it used to be (which means it will be a royal PITA once it turns cold in winter).
Edit: One other thing, when idling, if you rev the engine it doesnt' drop right to idle speed when you close the throttle. it slows to 2k, then slowly drops down to idle.
Any ideas? Thanks!

Also, if anyone knows a good tuner in the nothern VA area that can get me squared away, please let me know.

Will

Last edited by WillZ; July 6, 2009 at 11:33 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
opossum puncher

July 6, 2009, 11:37 AM

There are a bunch of good tuners, Rick at RnR is great, and Fairfax Cycles is good also.

First Id go back to the person who installed though and expect them to correct it. Did they not tune the kit at all? Did they just throw it in there and send you on your way?

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#3)
Derpentine Dealer

July 6, 2009, 11:47 AM

How long did the bike sit? You definitely have some carburetor issues, maybe just on the one cyl, maybe both. Maybe they were not synced properly, but sounds like gas is just getting dumped raw into the intake.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#4)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

July 6, 2009, 12:11 PM

Well just throwing in a jet kit will just cause problems. You need to have it tuned. What was the bike doing before the kit install? You need to have it gone over also for any vacuum leaks. Give Rick,RnR Cycles, a call at 571-277-0892 if you want to get it tuned. Also tell him you are .net.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#5)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

July 8, 2009, 10:08 AM

Thanks for the responses all. I'm going to take it back to the shop that did the install and give them a chance to make it right. If that doesn't work, I'm looking for a new shop to get all future work done. A shop with v-twin expertise is definitely my first choice.
Does RNR use a dyno to tune? I've been told by some friends that its a much more precise way to tune. My previous bikes weren't tuned using a dyno so I'd be curious to try it out. Thanks again!
Unread
  (#6)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

July 8, 2009, 10:16 AM

Yes we do dyno tuning. You can tune the bike without a dyno but it takes longer and you have to be patient and be able to know what to change. I have tuned my carbed bikes without a dyno and they have been spot on. It took longer but at the time I had no dyno to use. We have tuned many V-Twins from sv's to m109's. We also race v-twins. Buell and a SV.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#7)
Street Bonk Bum.....

July 8, 2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx6rfool View Post
There are a bunch of good tuners, Rick at RnR is great, and Fairfax Cycles is good also.

First Id go back to the person who installed though and expect them to correct it. Did they not tune the kit at all? Did they just throw it in there and send you on your way?

+1 to the bold and they also dyno tune tell em Jason sent u

CCS AM # 204

Last edited by JWZelibor; July 8, 2009 at 10:26 AM..