DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 565
4 members and 561 guests
CCS762ZX6, Nobrains, Sal_the_man, Scot
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Leakdown Test vs. Compression Test
Unread
  (#1)
Derpentine Dealer

Leakdown Test vs. Compression Test - August 21, 2013, 03:55 PM

I'm into work on my bikes, and I may buy a leakdown tester, probably the harbor freight unit. My question is this. Will doing a compression test on a cylinder provide any additional, necessary information after already doing a leakdown test?

It seems to me that a leakdown test will reveal any valve or ring problems and that a compression test will be redundant. On the other hand, a compression test seems to be less informative. Is there a good enough reason to do both? Do I need to buy/borrow both?

I don't really suspect there are any cylinder problems, but while things are apart I want to verify this. The intake valves have noticeable carbon and oil on their stem sides.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

August 21, 2013, 04:49 PM

Both test are important when diagnosing engine issues but only if you know what to look for. In your situation I would just have a leakdown tester.

Last edited by REDLEVEL; August 21, 2013 at 04:57 PM..
Unread
  (#3)
Derpentine Dealer

August 21, 2013, 06:02 PM

Thanks Chris. Yeah I want to catch any "big" problems before I button everything back up. I hate the idea of a valve job, but I hate the idea of a bad seat even more, especially after full reassembly.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

August 21, 2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
Thanks Chris. Yeah I want to catch any "big" problems before I button everything back up. I hate the idea of a valve job, but I hate the idea of a bad seat even more, especially after full reassembly.
A leakdown test will tell you everything you need to know. Most modern 4strokes use an auto decompression system that'll cause a low compression reading unless disabled. What bike are you working on?
Unread
  (#5)
Derpentine Dealer

August 21, 2013, 06:29 PM

2004 ZX-10R. I'm finishing a valve adjustment that has been pending forever lol. It is a giant PITA so I want to catch any and all issues that might be lurking.

The bike was running well but overdue for valve clearance check/adjustment. I was out one day and noticed that once it hit about 8K rpm, the engine sputtered and lost power. I garaged it right away, thinking it was valves. We'll find out--50K original miles on the clock.

Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

August 21, 2013, 06:42 PM

Hope it fixes your problem but usually valve sealing issues cause problems during startup and low rpms.
Unread
  (#7)
AMA Superbike Champ

August 21, 2013, 07:42 PM

John, I recently just did a head gasket and a valve job on my R6 and it wasn't fun at all. Let me know if you need a hand with your ZX-10. Since your only minutes away now, I'd be glad to come over and help you with your bike.

-Brian
Unread
  (#8)
Derpentine Dealer

August 21, 2013, 07:55 PM

Thanks Brian. I have the valve cover off now and am going to get some gap measurements tonight. Do you happen to have a leakdown tester?

Unread
  (#9)
AMA Superbike Champ

August 21, 2013, 09:42 PM

Sorry I don't, but a compression tester I do have if you need that.

-Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
Thanks Brian. I have the valve cover off now and am going to get some gap measurements tonight. Do you happen to have a leakdown tester?