DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 499
3 members and 496 guests
GRN96WS6, legendindisguise, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Leaking GPR stabilizer..arggg
Unread
  (#1)
2004 R6

Leaking GPR stabilizer..arggg - June 9, 2008, 04:29 PM

I bought a GPR stabilizer in April and I dont even ride hard or stunt and now it is leaking fluid.

I called the vendor who reffered me to GPR and GPR told me to uinstall it and send it back with a check for $13 to cover return postage.

I'm thinking of selling the GPR and going with a Scotts damper, I don't want to send the unit back every few months or so for servicing.

I heard the scott's usually don't leak but the GPR is known for leaking and needs constant servicing?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Ling Long

June 9, 2008, 04:33 PM

Their dampers don't really leak. There's a seal under the v4's spin wheel that holds oil from when it was made because they're made submerged.

That oil seaps over time.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#3)
Tough guy

June 9, 2008, 04:35 PM

Sounds unusual. I have sent mine back for service and was pleased with the cost, turnaround, and the rebuild is performing great. Maybe you got a lemon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06 kos
I bought a GPR stabilizer in April and I dont even ride hard or stunt and now it is leaking fluid.

I called the vendor who reffered me to GPR and GPR told me to uinstall it and send it back with a check for $13 to cover return postage.

I'm thinking of selling the GPR and going with a Scotts damper, I don't want to send the unit back every few months or so for servicing.

I heard the scott's usually don't leak but the GPR is known for leaking and needs constant servicing?
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CamDLux Send a message via MSN to CamDLux Send a message via Skype™ to CamDLux 
Unread
  (#4)
unapologetic

June 9, 2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:

don't give up on them yet man. Is it a V4 or an original V2? Call GPR and ask to speak to a tech about your issue and just ask for a little help. If you feel they are giving you the shaft, try to understand where they are coming from. THey have no idea what kind of use you are giving it, they only can go off of what they know when they see it. I've never heard of them going bad in less than two months of use, but that's just me. They are usually rebuilt once a race season for me, and I would venture to bet that my race dampers get a bit more abuse through the valving than street ones. Shoot me a pm with your info if the phone call with GPR doesn't go so well, I'll see if I can help you talk to the right people.

"ride on #47, ride on"

on the internet you can be anyone you want, it's strange that so many people choose to be so stupid
Unread
  (#5)
2004 R6

June 9, 2008, 05:24 PM

The original one: Part number 471-4050-LP.

My buddy has a Scotts and the range of adjustability is more and at the highest setting it is VERY stiff. At setting 8 on mine, it's not nearly as stiff at all.
Unread
  (#6)
Spike

June 9, 2008, 05:51 PM

Johnny has the Scott's and LOVES it....I know nothing about steering dampeners cuz I may ride 2.5 miles to work.

RIP Greg Walker, I will never forget you

If everybody thought before they spoke, the silence would be deafening
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jtatooz Send a message via Yahoo to jtatooz Send a message via AIM to jtatooz Send a message via Skype™ to jtatooz 
Unread
  (#7)
2004 R6

June 10, 2008, 03:42 PM

I'm uninstalling it tonight and shipping it back to GPR, the rep on the phone was extremely friendly and told me they will most likely replace the fluid and seals and it will be like new and that every 18 months I can get it serviced for free, just have to pay postage.

I was pleased with their professionalism so far.
Unread
  (#8)
PewPew

June 10, 2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I'm uninstalling it tonight and shipping it back to GPR, the rep on the phone was extremely friendly and told me they will most likely replace the fluid and seals and it will be like new and that every 18 months I can get it serviced for free, just have to pay postage.

I have both scotts and a GPR V4.... I consider GPR to be the better of the two. The Scotts has "more adjustment" but to date I have not touched the "high speed dampening" and they even advise not to... I haven't found a point for it yet and I ride my bikes strictly on the track now. After two years of track riding I love my GPR more and haven't had any problems with it. I've had the GPR for about a year now I guess... I've had the Scotts since 06.

the $13 for shipping is well worth keeping the damper from GPR... BTW if you have a very thin damper unit you likely have the V4 ( the newest model ) the V2 model is more the size of the Scotts damper.

R.I.P. Eric "TheIrishGuy"

"Will you carry me down the aisle that final day
With your tears and cold hands shaking from the weight
When you lower me down beneath that sky of gray
Let the rain fall down and wash away your pain"

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to NoVaGhost  
Unread
  (#9)
unapologetic

June 10, 2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:

I'm glad it's working out for you so far. Those guys are good dudes. Postage isn't so bad. WHen they ship it back to you, request ground shipping. It takes a little longer, but something happens to them when they fly them. They seem to develop bubbles in the oil from the pressure changes in flight. I don't know if it will affect the performance, but wait a few extra days and don't risk it.

"ride on #47, ride on"

on the internet you can be anyone you want, it's strange that so many people choose to be so stupid
Unread
  (#10)
Owner & Creator

June 10, 2008, 05:58 PM

Did you buy it new or used? I've loved all my GPR's
Unread
  (#11)
2004 R6

June 10, 2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaoMatt
Their dampers don't really leak. There's a seal under the v4's spin wheel that holds oil from when it was made because they're made submerged.

That oil seaps over time.
Definitely a leak, LuckyinVA even offered me a rag because he saw the leak when we were riding home.

Got home and uinstalled it, it is dripping fluid. Its boxed up now ready to ship back to GPR...

Unread
  (#12)
2004 R6

June 10, 2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage
Did you buy it new or used? I've loved all my GPR's
Bought it brand new from Parts411.com
Unread
  (#13)
PewPew

June 11, 2008, 09:44 PM

Yeah you have the V2 GPR... you buy from parts411? I'm sorry

But in all seriousness, sounds like the unit had a bad seal... could happen to anyone with any brand.

I'll say it again though, GPR > Scotts Carnage knows...

R.I.P. Eric "TheIrishGuy"

"Will you carry me down the aisle that final day
With your tears and cold hands shaking from the weight
When you lower me down beneath that sky of gray
Let the rain fall down and wash away your pain"

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to NoVaGhost  
Unread
  (#14)
Contributor

June 11, 2008, 10:05 PM

It was sad to ride and look over and see that Steve.. I hope you get it back soon.

2006 Yamaha R6
2008 Zuma YW50

Semper Fi
MARRC Cornerworker
NESBA #707
CCS AM #991
www.marrc.org
www.cornerspeed.net
www.rnrcycles.com VA
www.trianglecycles.com NC/VA

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/27068503@N05/
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Lucky  
Unread
  (#15)
racer fo real

June 11, 2008, 10:55 PM

they are quick on turnaround. I think they had a bad batch of seals. My first on leaked and they put a new one on my bike at Daytona before the 200. That one started leaking also. So I sent that one in for new seals and it has been good since..

Arnie
A&M Motorsports-VP race fuel vendor
CCS/WERA - expert #38
AMA - #318
NESBA Control rider
Motorcycle excitement coach
2012 gsxr 750
2009 gsxr 1000
2012 rmz 450
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to ahastings Send a message via AIM to ahastings