DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 571
2 members and 569 guests
GRN96WS6, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
LED Signal Issues
Unread
  (#1)
GP Racer

LED Signal Issues - March 8, 2009, 05:58 PM

So I have flush mount lockhart phillips signals up front on my 06 R6 and I had regular bulbs in the back but one of them broke and I decided to replace them with LED units. I got them and they had resistors in them which you put between the light and the factory wiring. Well when I put them on and turn on my signals only the front ones work the rears don't even attempt to light. Any idea why this happened? I've taken the resistors out with no change either (I was thinking that the resistance was to much for the small amount of voltage LED's pull).

So what did I do wrong? I assumed they would just work and I'd like to get them on the bike ASAP. The ones I bought as replacements are from Targa Accessories.

Tommy

MSF Graduate 9-25-05
13 DRZ400SM Sold 6-21-16
06 R6 Raven Sold 4-23-15
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
TPG

March 8, 2009, 06:22 PM

you have the polarity correct? LED's will only work if the current is flowing the correct way, also sometimes the resistors are placed in parallel to the LED's not in series
Unread
  (#3)
GP Racer

March 8, 2009, 07:51 PM

I hooked them up the exact way my existing signals were hooked up and the resistors came already shrink wrapped and only connect one way so I'm pretty sure the polarity and resistors are correct. I just haven't got the slightest clue as to why they don't even light up.

Tommy

MSF Graduate 9-25-05
13 DRZ400SM Sold 6-21-16
06 R6 Raven Sold 4-23-15
Unread
  (#4)
SMB
sans motor bike

March 8, 2009, 08:32 PM

actually, they probably WONT work now that you've run them w/o the resistor, it limits the current to the LED, only takes a second to pop...

you can buy pre-made LEDS at autozone, pepboys, and the like, no external resistor needed...and they plug right in

I dip my chicken strips in Chik-fil-a sauce
Unread
  (#5)
GP Racer

March 8, 2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMB View Post
actually, they probably WONT work now that you've run them w/o the resistor, it limits the current to the LED, only takes a second to pop...

you can buy pre-made LEDS at autozone, pepboys, and the like, no external resistor needed...and they plug right in

I'm not sure they ever worked though. And what do you mean they plug right in? The reason i bought new ones was because my old ones are breaking apart. I'm not understanding how they wouldn't work at all though I mean it just isn't making sense to me. I'm not mechanically stupid by any means but electricity isn't one of my strong points.

Tommy

MSF Graduate 9-25-05
13 DRZ400SM Sold 6-21-16
06 R6 Raven Sold 4-23-15
Unread
  (#6)
SMB
sans motor bike

March 8, 2009, 08:39 PM

plug right in = the LEDS are MOUNTED to a base that matches OEM ie 1157 style, etc

BW had a point about the resistor wiring, could have gone either way, mostly I've seen series wiring, but in either case if you do it incorrectly you can overload the LED with current, and it will pop

see --->

Last edited by SMB; March 8, 2009 at 08:41 PM..
Unread
  (#7)
TPG

March 8, 2009, 08:44 PM

if the resistor is wired in series, then it's there to diminish the voltage to protect the LED, if it's in parallel, it's to increase total resistance to keep the signal from flashing too quickly, so if it was was wired in series and you removed the resistor, it is very likely that you blew the LED out
Unread
  (#8)
TPG - screw face

March 8, 2009, 11:12 PM

might be some info you can use in this

http://www.dikkydo.com/pegs/pegs4.htm

what you can do is hook back up your old ones and make sure power is getting there....then go from there.
Unread
  (#9)
SMB
sans motor bike

March 9, 2009, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneway View Post
might be some info you can use in this

http://www.dikkydo.com/pegs/pegs4.htm

what you can do is hook back up your old ones and make sure power is getting there....then go from there.

...if you hook them up wrong they blowdeded...

Unread
  (#10)
Like a clown car on fire

March 9, 2009, 06:45 AM

Sounds like you put the LED's in backwards at first, and when you pulled out the resistor, you very well could have blown them out, but if you still had them in backwards, they're a bit more resistant to excessive voltage...

it also could have been (and is more likely) that the resistor was there to increase the resistance and slow the blinking, and if removed, it wouldnt hurt the LED's. How big was the resistor? if it was tiny and cylindrical, that's to cut voltage, if it's big, ceramic and rectangular, it's to slow it down.

I'd say the best option at this point is to to try to exchange them, you may have gotten bad LED's form the factory, and if the new ones still dont work, try reversing the polarity on the wires.

if is still doesn't work, you'll need to experiement with a voltmeter, which may be more than you're willing to do.

-Chloroform-
For when she doesn't know she wants it.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Thwack  
Unread
  (#11)
GP Racer

March 9, 2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thwack View Post
Sounds like you put the LED's in backwards at first, and when you pulled out the resistor, you very well could have blown them out, but if you still had them in backwards, they're a bit more resistant to excessive voltage...

it also could have been (and is more likely) that the resistor was there to increase the resistance and slow the blinking, and if removed, it wouldnt hurt the LED's. How big was the resistor? if it was tiny and cylindrical, that's to cut voltage, if it's big, ceramic and rectangular, it's to slow it down.

I'd say the best option at this point is to to try to exchange them, you may have gotten bad LED's form the factory, and if the new ones still dont work, try reversing the polarity on the wires.

if is still doesn't work, you'll need to experiement with a voltmeter, which may be more than you're willing to do.

The resistors were not the big ceramic type they were the small cylindrical type. I did reverse the polarity with the resistors in place and never got a light out of them. I would like to slow my flashing down but its not too big of a deal to me that they flash quickly.

I will send them back and see if I can get another set sent out. Thanks for the pointers.

Tommy

MSF Graduate 9-25-05
13 DRZ400SM Sold 6-21-16
06 R6 Raven Sold 4-23-15
Unread
  (#12)
GP Racer

March 22, 2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrownw View Post
you have the polarity correct? LED's will only work if the current is flowing the correct way, also sometimes the resistors are placed in parallel to the LED's not in series

This was the issue thanks. For whatever reason the black wasn't mating t the black of my bike I swapped the colored wire with the black and it works without issue.

Thanks

Tommy

MSF Graduate 9-25-05
13 DRZ400SM Sold 6-21-16
06 R6 Raven Sold 4-23-15
Unread
  (#13)
It was me.

March 22, 2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN96WS6 View Post
This was the issue thanks. For whatever reason the black wasn't mating t the black of my bike I swapped the colored wire with the black and it works without issue.

Thanks

When I put HID's in my car I had the same issue.

Mohawk Ryderz Road Captain
www.MohawkRyderz.com

"We drop sukaz!"

-
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GwgOmlI0ht.../s400/byah.jpg
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Widow Maker  
Unread
  (#14)
TPG

March 22, 2009, 08:01 PM

no prob, glad you got it figured out