DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 569
1 members and 568 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Need help on 2000 R6
Unread
  (#1)
Got my Permit

Need help on 2000 R6 - October 17, 2010, 09:58 PM

Hey guys, my really good friend has asked me for help on figuring out his problem. Altho i haven't received the bike yet, id like to get a feel for what i should be checking

Issue:
A few months ago, my friend was riding out about an hour away from home and his bike cut out. He thought it was the battery, but it cranked fine. He tried to pop the clutch still nothing. He then called a tow truck and had his bike towed to a shop.

The next day the shop owner went to start it and it started fine. It ran fine no problems nothing, till today.

Same issue. Went for a ride, cut out. Tried to pop the clutch nothing, it cranked fine. So we left it for about an hour, and then it ran fine again.

So its not a battery issue, im guessing
sometimes there is no spark?
or fuel problems?
I plan to change the plugs, clean out the carbs, and check all connections? any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
AMA Superbike Champ

October 17, 2010, 10:04 PM

probably some loose wire connection. i don't think its fuel related at all.

2005 Yamaha R6 Raven
1982 Suzuki GS650L
1974 Honda CB550 (Cafe' racer Project)
1971 Honda CB450 (currently restoring to stock may be a future Cafe')
Unread
  (#3)
Parkin lot pimpin'

October 18, 2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkr6 View Post
probably some loose wire connection. i don't think its fuel related at all.
+1...check the ground

2013 Kawasaki ZX-6R - back at it again
2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R (636) Lots o' Mods - SOLD

2013 Ford F-150 Ecoboost (Toy Haulin)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EndoSJ3  
Unread
  (#4)
www.udothedishes.com

October 18, 2010, 09:08 AM

I was dealing with a cut out issue on my R6. Need a bit more info though. Does the instrument cluster go out too? When does it cut out? At a stop? WOT?

Next - ?
05 Yamaha R6 - Street (SOLD)
Unread
  (#5)
My Chicken eats Busa's

October 18, 2010, 12:19 PM

Intermitten problems are fun as hell, especially when deaing with electronics. The brains on the R6 is pretty well known for going, although being one of the more expensive problems, I would check a few other things, first.

#1: Probably not a ground issue. When your ground is bad, it's usually evident when you are drawing the most power, i.e. trying to start the bike. But you said that it's cranking just fine. Just the same, pull off the seat and make sure the battery connections are good and tight. I've had customers come in with some really funky problems that are attributed to loose battery connections.

#2: I would not clean out the carbs, as carb issues are pretty certain and not usually intermitten like this. This does help with a clue, however. If your overflow tube and/or vent tube is clogged it could produce one or more of the following problems. First, a vacuum created in the tank due to lack of free moving air. Vacuum in tank=no gas to carbs. This would cause the bike to stop running after awhile and run again when it's been sitting for awhile. Second, if your overflow is clogged, then water will make its way in to the tank. Water does not burn too well. A good way to check is to lift the tank, remove fuel line and pump some fluid from the tank into a clear jar. Then, add some well known good gasoline. If you see seperation in the fluids, then you've found your problem.

#3: Bad gas. Happens more than we would like to admit. Inconsistancies in Ethonal regulations has led to some places that have some much higher than normal ehonal content in their gas. Open the tank and smell the gas. Does it smell more like Grandpa's moonshine than gas?

All of these suggestions due, in fact require some good tools, patience and at least some mechanical ability. If you get stuck or in over your head, don't push the limits. Call a bike shop and have them come and get it.

Last edited by ClemsonJeeper; October 18, 2010 at 01:52 PM..
Unread
  (#6)
unapologetic

October 18, 2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchickencornermonster View Post
May I suggest Brooks Cycle Center!

All good info in previous post. Did you ever reach out to the site owner Rob about being a site sponsor? Check into it if you get some time. It will allow you to push your business in threads like this without the possibility of other shop owners complaining about you getting advertising for free. It will also keep your posts from being deleted by a mod if you have already been informed of the business advertising policies (like now). Besides, you supporting the site by advertising allows us to continue to come here and keep this forum free for the users.

You have good info to share and I hope you stick around.

"ride on #47, ride on"

on the internet you can be anyone you want, it's strange that so many people choose to be so stupid
Unread
  (#7)
Site Owner

October 18, 2010, 01:52 PM

From the site rules:

No advertising.

No advertising of other for-pay services, websites, shops, and so forth unless specifically granted by the DCSportbikes.net owner. For more information please send a note to Rob (ClemsonJeeper).

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#8)
Got my Permit

October 18, 2010, 10:14 PM

Thank you for posting. Greatly Appreciated.

More info from today:
Cluster is working fine,
First time it cut out was while accelerating.
Second time, at idle when stopped.

He brought me his bike at appropriately 4pm today. He rode it to my place, everything worked like it should. I parked it behind my place. At around 10pm. I wanted to move into the basement. No start. Choke opened, nothing. Cranked alot, no go. So now the bike wont even start after sitting out for about 6 hours.

My mechanical ability is limited, tho I have worked on a few. There is no guarantee, and this was a favor, so the possibility of taking it to a professional is relevant.

SCCM:
Option number two seems to fit very well. I will try that procedure and post my findings. Thanks alot.

Thanks alot for the suggestions, and I will be sure to post more findings Wednesday night.
Unread
  (#9)
Got my Permit

October 26, 2010, 01:00 PM

Update...

I have been taking things apart for the past few days. I found some vacuum lines pinched slightly. I set them right and tried to fire. Still nothing. It cranked fine. So I went and took apart the carbs ( they needed cleaning for a while any ways), cleaned the jets, floats, boots, and the all the assembly. Then i took out the plugs, they were corroded but not too bad. Put in brand new plugs, and did an oil change. Drained the tank, and put in fresh 93. I also took out the pump made sure it worked, and ordered a new fuel filter.

I reinstalled everything and then i tried to start it. There is fuel in the carbs. It wont start for some reason. I am now thinking that there is no spark?
Could a faulty sensor be a suspect? the one the connects to one side of the carb, i believe a TPS sensor.
Unread
  (#10)
Riding is like Sex. WEEE!

October 26, 2010, 04:48 PM

My 2001 R6 used to cut out when it got warm. It wound up being a bad carb. I just bought another set of carbs on ebay for 100 and never had a problem again.

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside."

"I don't like being famous - it is like a prison. And driving for Ferrari would make it far worse."

"I race to win. If I am on the bike or in a car it will always be the same."

"I'm Valentino Rossi. And I want to be a person, not an icon."

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Rossi Send a message via AIM to Rossi Send a message via Skype™ to Rossi 
Unread
  (#11)
Got my Permit

November 10, 2010, 01:40 PM

So we reassembled the bike. There is fuel in the system, but still no start. Just cranking cranking and cranking. We can smell the fuel coming from the exhaust. Now it may be a spark issue. I plan on testing for spark. Any more suggestions? thanks.
Unread
  (#12)
Life Begins at 150

November 11, 2010, 09:25 AM

do you have Spark?
then check for fuel in the carbs.

Rick Beggs
MARRC RRS and Track day Director
RnR Cycles
571-277-0892
RnR Repsol Racing
ASRA 2004,2005,2006,2007,2009, 2010, 2012 GTU National Champions
2007 GTO National Champions
Marco Simoncelli, ‘You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life’.
Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ

November 11, 2010, 06:08 PM

Do yourself a favor and take it to a shop. It shouldn't take any competent tech more than an hour to diagnose the issue since the problem is no longer intermittent.
Unread
  (#14)
Licensed Rider

November 16, 2010, 09:12 PM

I had the same problem with my cbr. Check the vent hoses from the tank and see if they pinched.