DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 428
5 members and 423 guests
Bunky, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, Scot, Speed3, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Need help fixing my sumo
Unread
  (#1)
Got my Permit

Need help fixing my sumo - June 15, 2010, 11:19 AM

Posted this in my intro, looking for some help if possible.

I'm looking for someone that can put a new rod on my crank. I found a guy in baltimore that can do the work, as well as some shop in kentucky (mrcrankshaft.com). They both seem to have reasonable rates, but I'd like to keep it local.

From my limited mechanical knowlegde, apparently some sort of pressing device is needed to do the job. The two shops that I have talked with have told me $75 and $50 per hour, which I think is a fair price for both. Obviously I would like to try and keep the cost down as much as possible because the rebuild looks like it will cost me $600-$700 as it is.

Let me know if you can help a fellow rider out, i'm trying to get this thing back on the road asap, and help bring some business to a local shop/person in the meantime. Thanks guys.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Playing in the dirt

June 15, 2010, 11:43 AM

What bike?

You need a 20 ton press and a crank truing jig minium & 2 indicators. (a crank fixture helps)

Your best bet is to send it off, most shops around here are $$$ or dont have the ability

you cant beat this guys prices...
http://www.rb-designs.com/

Single cylinder crankshafts:
2 stroke up to 200 cc crankshaftrebuild (except Honda CR 125 cranks add $5.00)
$35.00
2 stroke 250 cc and up crankshaftrebuild (long shaft ATV cranks add $5.00)
$35.00
4 stroke up to 200 cc crankshaftrebuild (long shaft ATV cranks add $5.00)
$35.00
4 stroke 250 cc and up crankshaftrebuild (long shaft ATV cranks add $5.00)
$45.00

KTMs and Yamahas
Unread
  (#3)
Got my Permit

June 16, 2010, 08:08 PM

Hey its a xr650l

thanks for the info. I'm thinking that it might be better to take it to the guy in baltimore. When you include shipping I imagine it will be about the same price. And add on top of that the turn around time...

including the new rod, i gotta get my cylinder honed out (probably a new sleeve as well). I gotta find the time to get this all done, and i hope soon.
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

June 16, 2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brrrp! View Post
Hey its a xr650l

thanks for the info. I'm thinking that it might be better to take it to the guy in baltimore. When you include shipping I imagine it will be about the same price. And add on top of that the turn around time...

including the new rod, i gotta get my cylinder honed out (probably a new sleeve as well). I gotta find the time to get this all done, and i hope soon.
Actually the xr650l cylinder can be bored out up to 2.4mm. If your cylinder is stock size (100mm) there is plenty of room to take out any damage or if the cylinder measures inside service specs then a good honing to break the glaze will put you back in business. Let me know if you need the cylinder bored or honed because we have a boring bar at work and I can take care of it for you. As far as the new rod we ship them out to a company in NC because they can do them a lot cheaper than we can but the prices from the place in Baltimore are awesome so you might want to take advantage.
Unread
  (#5)
Got my Permit

June 17, 2010, 11:15 AM

yup, mines already been bored out, so i'm probably looking at a new sleeve too. One guy i talked to said that the cylinder could potentially be honed out and be good to go. Not sure if he's right or maybe I misunderstood him.

In any case, if you'd like to do the work i'd be happy to bring it to you. I work in reston so if youre in herndon thats not far at all. And i'd be more than happy to pay any fee's associated with it. Just trying to keep the costs down and keep it local.
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

June 17, 2010, 07:19 PM

PM me your contact info.
Unread
  (#7)
Playing in the dirt

June 18, 2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brrrp! View Post
yup, mines already been bored out, so i'm probably looking at a new sleeve too. One guy i talked to said that the cylinder could potentially be honed out and be good to go. Not sure if he's right or maybe I misunderstood him.
If it's only been bored once you should have plenty of room in the Cyl wall to go larger.

KTMs and Yamahas
Unread
  (#8)
Slappa Da Baseeee , Mon'

June 18, 2010, 08:42 AM

call fairfax cycles, they work on a lot of supermotos and dirtbikes, also i would call crossroads cycles, they have all the equipment to do that and they are really good guys, talk to dennis

-Phill-

2002 RC51-Ask and i will tell
1977 Harley-Davidson FLH (gettin a face lift)
2006 cbr1000rr-(sold)
2000 929- (sold)
2002 R1- (sold)

chumchum: my front is stiff and my rear is lose

#452-LE: I feel like jelly....... cauz jam dont shake like this!!

----------Alexandria, Va----------
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to blushin  
Unread
  (#9)
Got my Permit

June 21, 2010, 02:47 PM

pm sent