DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:



Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 165
4 members and 161 guests
nootherids, R6SP, RRonin, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Need Help - Oil
Unread
  (#1)
Funny how?
 
Posts: 28
Join Date: January 7, 2012
Location: Arlington, VA
Question Need Help - Oil - April 16, 2012, 03:47 PM

See the attached pic. I noticed today before I got home that there was oil on my fork. This is only on the left side and it looks like it has leaked/spilled all the way down the fork.

Can anyone explain what is or has happened here before I take it to the shop?

Thanks a lot. And please be gentle. I am a noobie.

This is a 2009 EX500 (Ninja 500R)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fork.jpg (496.2 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by skkninja500r; April 16, 2012 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: Adding Info
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to skkninja500r Send a message via Skype™ to skkninja500r 
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#2)
Derpentine Dealer
 
OrangeShirtDude's Avatar
 
Posts: 12,464
Join Date: April 6, 2007
Location: "Going Bonkers"
April 16, 2012, 03:52 PM

Blown fork seal. Fairly easy fix, but only if you know what you're doing.

Sometimes you can get lucky and have it only be some crud between the seal and the fork leg. You can clean between the seal and fork leg with a coated business card or chunk of postcard. It should be slick-coated, not matte surface. Just free the dust seal, slide it down a ways, clean all dirt, and run a corner of the card up in between the seal and leg, work it around, and pull it out at an angle to bring dirt with it. Be ready for oil to come running out while doing this. Do NOT let fork oil get onto your brakes.


How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.

Last edited by OrangeShirtDude; April 16, 2012 at 03:56 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#3)
Funny how?
 
Posts: 28
Join Date: January 7, 2012
Location: Arlington, VA
April 16, 2012, 03:54 PM

Awesome. Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, I don't have the time and a space to do it. I think I might take it to a shop.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to skkninja500r Send a message via Skype™ to skkninja500r 
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#4)
Derpentine Dealer
 
OrangeShirtDude's Avatar
 
Posts: 12,464
Join Date: April 6, 2007
Location: "Going Bonkers"
April 16, 2012, 03:57 PM

Yeah, try what I just added above first. Then you will need a way to remove the fork tubes or else take 'er to a shop.


How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#5)
Power One User
 
Todd's Avatar
 
Posts: 542
Join Date: June 14, 2006
April 16, 2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
Blown fork seal. Fairly easy fix, but only if you know what you're doing.

Sometimes you can get lucky and have it only be some crud between the seal and the fork leg. You can clean between the seal and fork leg with a coated business card or chunk of postcard. It should be slick-coated, not matte surface. Just free the dust seal, slide it down a ways, clean all dirt, and run a corner of the card up in between the seal and leg, work it around, and pull it out at an angle to bring dirt with it. Be ready for oil to come running out while doing this. Do NOT let fork oil get onto your brakes.
Yep, try this first.

The best tool I have found for this is a photographic negative. The film is thin and strong to pull the dirt out of the seal.


CCS AM #710
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#6)
Funny how?
 
Posts: 28
Join Date: January 7, 2012
Location: Arlington, VA
April 16, 2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
Yeah, try what I just added above first. Then you will need a way to remove the fork tubes or else take 'er to a shop.
Cool, thanks a lot. Really appreciate it.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to skkninja500r Send a message via Skype™ to skkninja500r 
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#7)
Funny how?
 
Posts: 28
Join Date: January 7, 2012
Location: Arlington, VA
April 16, 2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
Yep, try this first.

The best tool I have found for this is a photographic negative. The film is thin and strong to pull the dirt out of the seal.
Thanks. The only thing that makes me think it's not just crud is that the oil had leaked/dripped down the fork. I cleaned that off but I wonder if it will show up again tomorrow. I guess that will mean it's a leak.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to skkninja500r Send a message via Skype™ to skkninja500r 
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#8)
turn or crash....
 
djkouza's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,567
Join Date: June 14, 2010
Location: MD/IN
April 16, 2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skkninja500r View Post
Thanks. The only thing that makes me think it's not just crud is that the oil had leaked/dripped down the fork. I cleaned that off but I wonder if it will show up again tomorrow. I guess that will mean it's a leak.
Only if you clean it and it still does it. The crud will make the seal not "seal" so it will leak with a good but dirty seal.


- djkouza
############
Bikes: I might own one...
############
djkouza - XBOX
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to djkouza  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#9)
Funny how?
 
Posts: 28
Join Date: January 7, 2012
Location: Arlington, VA
April 16, 2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkouza
Only if you clean it and it still does it. The crud will make the seal not "seal" so it will leak with a good but dirty seal.
Cool. Thanks a lot.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to skkninja500r Send a message via Skype™ to skkninja500r 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest 2002-2010 by DCSportbikes.net. DCSportbikes.net is owned by End of Time Studios, LLC.