DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 514
2 members and 512 guests
beatle, Leoallafila
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
need new brakes
Unread
  (#1)
intermediate

need new brakes - August 17, 2009, 09:22 PM

so i've had my 08 gixxer for about a little over a year now, i have a feeling i need new brakes. im noticing that the brake lever comes back more than it used 2. now my question is should i buy my brakes off the internet or just go to a shop and buy and install it from them? also, what brand should i go with? I barely use the rear brake so that one should be fine....
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to silky Send a message via AIM to silky Send a message via Skype™ to silky 
Unread
  (#2)
old fat and slow

August 17, 2009, 09:54 PM

front brakes are super easy to change ... buy them anywhere you'd like. install them and have the fluid flushed with new and you should be fine. lots of folks on here can help you. i'm outside leesburg so prolly too far.

MissS:no now!!!

bambam nope you said i have a few hours

MissS: I changed my mind

bambam: see MissS: well, you have a few hours

MissS: I'm a female, allowed to do it
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to bambam  
Unread
  (#3)
See the mouth and the eye

August 17, 2009, 10:06 PM

I believe www.cyclesector.com has a special on Hel brake lines. I believe it's 20% front lines and 15% off rear which comes to like $80 for front lines which is a really good deal.

I have Galfer SS front lines,Carbone Lorraine SBK 5 pads and Motul RBF 600 brake fluid. The install is very easy, the most time consuming part is probably bleeding the brakes. I can help you if you like, I'm in Reston.

Someone else may want to weigh on this because I don't ride a GSXR but you may want to consider getting a better master cylinder as well depending on what kind of riding you plan on doing in the future/how much you want to spend. I heard the stock master cylinder is garbage.

-Mark

2007 Yamaha RVI (sold, treat her nice Chris)

MARRC Cornerworker

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to dv/dt  
Unread
  (#4)
intermediate

August 17, 2009, 10:16 PM

thanks for that info, but i just wanted to change my pads. when i was getting my bike serviced at cycles usa, they are closed btw, the mechanic said i didnt need the ss brake lines yet bc its a new bike and that expanding thing prob wont happen till 3 to 4 years(do u guys agree?). performance wise he told me i should change the rear shock bc the stock shock blows. is the master cylinder not that good either?
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to silky Send a message via AIM to silky Send a message via Skype™ to silky 
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

August 18, 2009, 12:14 AM

Do you race the bike? If not the stock master cylinder will suit your needs just fine as will the stock shock. I would also say the same about the stock brake lines but a set of ss lines will give you a way better brake feel and that is a plus on the street as well as the track. The ss lines do not expand but stock lines ( if not ss ) will expand no matter the age. It may get worse as the bike gets older but it will always be present from day one and if you can afford it buy the brakes at a local shop cause trust me this day and age we need all the support we can get and if we don't get it now then it may come a day when you have to buy your bike online because all the shops are gone.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)

August 18, 2009, 12:27 AM

If you're going to upgrade the pads you might as well upgrade to SS lines also, especially if you're getting a mushy feel from the brake lever. You'll get a noticeably better braking feel from upgrading both as opposed to just upgrading the pads.

All in all doing both the lines and pads is one of the best bangs for your buck IMO. I think I payed about $160 for the whole thing.

-Mark

MARRC Cornerworker

Unread
  (#7)
intermediate

August 18, 2009, 09:08 AM

160 doesn't sound bad. Where did u get ur brakes done? Oh and I dnt race th bike, but prob will next season
Unread
  (#8)
opossum puncher

August 18, 2009, 09:24 AM

I wouldnt worry bout the shock, not for a long time.

I suggest you price out the brake pads online. Galfer, Ferodo, EBC, Vesrah, etc any of those brands will do you well.

If you are handy with a wrench and have the stands I recommend changing the pads yourself. Do you have a manual? New fluid is also a must.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#9)
Owner & Creator

August 18, 2009, 09:26 AM

Yo Leo, send me a pm or send me a message on aim. Brakes are easy to do
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#10)
running on liquid crazy.

August 18, 2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLEVEL View Post
Do you race the bike? If not the stock master cylinder will suit your needs just fine as will the stock shock. I would also say the same about the stock brake lines but a set of ss lines will give you a way better brake feel and that is a plus on the street as well as the track.
+1

Actually, I have an 04 636 that I race which still has stock brake lines, and they still work great, but the pads are Ferodo's race compound, and they really bite for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLEVEL View Post
if you can afford it buy the brakes at a local shop cause trust me this day and age we need all the support we can get and if we don't get it now then it may come a day when you have to buy your bike online because all the shops are gone.
Thanks for supporting the shops!

the one and only...
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)

August 18, 2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silky View Post
160 doesn't sound bad. Where did u get ur brakes done? Oh and I dnt race th bike, but prob will next season
I got the lines and pads from www.sportbiketrackgear.com and did the install my self. Make sure you put new brake fluid in also, you can get it at sportbiketrackgear.com as well. If you decide to do it yourself let me know if you need a hand.

-Mark

MARRC Cornerworker

Unread
  (#12)
Playing with toys

August 18, 2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesasse1 View Post
Ferodo's race compound, and they really bite for me.
RnR sold me a set of the same pads for my 06' 750. Holy shit, do they bite!!!!

PSN - nate1213

RIP Storm May 29, 2009
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to N8RIDER  
Unread
  (#13)
intermediate

August 18, 2009, 12:34 PM

Bite as in good or bite as in bad? sounds like good but ive heard people say bite to mean bad ie. "that movie bit".
Unread
  (#14)
Playing with toys

August 18, 2009, 12:38 PM

I could probably stand on the front wheel at any speed with these pads on literally

Grip like a mo' fo when you squeeze the lever.

PSN - nate1213

RIP Storm May 29, 2009
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to N8RIDER