DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 495
1 members and 494 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Need Your Input: Rear LEDs Won't Work
Unread
  (#1)
Where the hell am I?

Need Your Input: Rear LEDs Won't Work - July 31, 2007, 09:16 PM

I installed some LED rear indicators along with an LED relay on my '07 Yamaha R6.

The stock front indicators blink nice and even (before I installed the relay they were hyperactive).

I've got nothing from the rear LEDs I installed. They are completly dead. I checked the 10amp signal fuse and it wasn't blown. I replaced it anyway, but still came up with nothing.

Any tips on how to get the rear indicators to run? (and yes, they are wired correctly).

MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to PlasticRocket Send a message via AIM to PlasticRocket Send a message via MSN to PlasticRocket Send a message via Skype™ to PlasticRocket 
Unread
  (#2)
Resident Rodent

July 31, 2007, 09:37 PM

Hmm.

Well, normally I would say come to my house and we will fix it ... but, I'm in St. Louis right now ... and when I get back, I have to drive to NY for a week for vacation. I'll be back the 13th.

I have a DC signal generator and a 12 V test bench. I use it to troubleshoot my cameras ... which have been some nasty probs, but so far, I have won all the fights with them.

If you can wait till the week of the 13th, I'll help you ... just come to my house.

If you can't wait. Try:

1) Disconnect both rear lights

2) Now measure output at the wires on one of the lights with the turn signal on. You should get a "blinking" 14v DC. If you do, then you just have the wires backwards. If you don't, well then you have a bigger problem that will need to be worked out.

If you have a bigger problem:

1) Aftermarket

- Rat

"Ride to the sound of the guns."

http://www.magicratproductions.com
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Resident Rodent

July 31, 2007, 09:37 PM

Hmm.

Well, normally I would say come to my house and we will fix it ... but, I'm in St. Louis right now ... and when I get back, I have to drive to NY for a week for vacation. I'll be back the 13th.

I have a DC signal generator and a 12 V test bench. I use it to troubleshoot my cameras ... which have been some nasty probs, but so far, I have won all the fights with them.

If you can wait till the week of the 13th, I'll help you ... just come to my house.

If you can't wait. Try:

1) Disconnect both rear lights

2) Now measure output at the wires on one of the lights with the turn signal on. You should get a "blinking" 14v DC. If you do, then you just have the wires backwards. If you don't, well then you have a bigger problem that will need to be worked out.

If you have a bigger problem:

Aftermarket signals (especially if they are LED) blink VERY fast. In fact, twice as fast as normal OEM signals. I think this is what you call "hyperactive". Most people just leave them like that. It's no big deal. If you really, really can't stand it that way, then the fix is a RESISTOR ... not a RELAY. A relay is a "toggle".

If you installed a relay, I think you may have installed it to toggle only the front turn signals to work ...

- Rat

Last edited by Magic-Rat; July 31, 2007 at 09:41 PM..
Unread
  (#4)
Now Riding Red

July 31, 2007, 09:50 PM

L E D = Light Emitting Diode

Diodes must be wired a specific direction.. its basically a little one way door for electricity.

Try flipping the wires and see if that gets ya going (like Magic Rat said )

You can also try wiring the LED lights directly to the battery (both ways) and see if they come on, after all they are basically a high tech light bulb so power WILL make them glow.

Good luck.

‎"Death walks beside every man, but only the mercenary turns and waves."

Troye-ame-Ven, Writer, Philosopher, Mortal

M
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Where the hell am I?

July 31, 2007, 09:50 PM

Your info about the toggle is starting to make some sense to me...I'll keep futzing around with it. If I can't fix it on my own, I might take you up on your offer to help me.

MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to PlasticRocket Send a message via AIM to PlasticRocket Send a message via MSN to PlasticRocket Send a message via Skype™ to PlasticRocket 
Unread
  (#6)
Where the hell am I?

July 31, 2007, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-skid
L E D = Light Emitting Diode

Diodes must be wired a specific direction.. its basically a little one way door for electricity.

Try flipping the wires and see if that gets ya going (like Magic Rat said )

You can also try wiring the LED lights directly to the battery (both ways) and see if they come on, after all they are basically a high tech light bulb so power WILL make them glow.

Good luck.
I double checked the wiring (even flipped 'em) and still had nothing. To make sure the LEDs weren't faulty I ran the power from my license plate light to them. They lit right up...so that rules defective lights out.

Before I installed the relay, they didn't come on at all either.

Unread
  (#7)
Resident Rodent

July 31, 2007, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticRocket
Your info about the toggle is starting to make some sense to me...I'll keep futzing around with it. If I can't fix it on my own, I might take you up on your offer to help me.
Yup.

I think you have basically just wired the relay in a way that shuts off power to your rear signals.

If you dont' have a multimeter to test like I mentioned above, just hook one of your OEM lights back up. I bet it won't work.

If it does, well ... flip the wires on the LED connection like J-Skid said. If it still doesn't work, let me know ... I'll think of sumthin else to try. LOL.

- Rat

Last edited by Magic-Rat; July 31, 2007 at 10:45 PM..
Unread
  (#8)
Where the hell am I?

August 1, 2007, 12:09 AM

cool.i'll give that a try and let you know how i fare.

Unread
  (#9)
Nothing here

August 1, 2007, 07:17 AM

One other possibility:

I had LED's on my bike and the set I used had a ground wire that was very, very small. Not sure about yours, but I had to really tighten the ground wire screw down hard to get complete contact before mine would emit light. Again, not sure how yours are set up, but that was my solution.
Unread
  (#10)
Where the hell am I?

August 1, 2007, 08:13 AM

Madali:
hmm... no ground wire on my set of LEDs, just a blue and a green wire. for each indicator pod.

After work I am going to take Rat's advice and try hooking up an OEM indicator and testing it with with a multimeter.

Unread
  (#11)
TEAM.SUKUZI

August 1, 2007, 08:46 AM

dude, I'll be in Arlingtom tomorrow evening..if all fails by then, Ill swing by to help u out. I've installed plenty of leds..

sex addict