DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 182
4 members and 178 guests
nootherids, R6SP, RRonin, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Newb question: Patching a tire.
Unread
  (#1)
Pew pew.

Newb question: Patching a tire. - August 29, 2011, 09:22 AM

Hey guys, hope this is the right section for this. I think technically it could fit into two other sections. In any case, I ride an 09 FZ6R and a few weekends ago, I ran into a nail. Didn't notice until the next morning when it had deflated a bit. My question is has anyone had any success using a patch kit similar to this?

Slime T-Handle Reamer Plugger Kit - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

Pretty simple. You pull the nail out, shove the wick in, cut off the excess and seal it with cement. The nail is embedded in the tread. Anything I should be concerned about? Is it a bad idea? The nail a standard phillips head, maybe about half a fingernail in diameter for the head.

Thanks in advance!

--2009 yamaha fz6r on the street.
--2011 ducati 848 in my head.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Knarly Adventurer

August 29, 2011, 09:32 AM

Use the thread search feature... this has been dcovered about as much as what brand of oil to use.

Consensus says - Ok to plug for temp use / straight line commuting at or slightly above posted limit. Do not ride baller or rail the twisties till you get new tire.

Everytime you cook up...a little boy gets crushed by a bridge. -JTG40cal

2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC
2009 Scrambler SOLD
2007 ZX14 SOLD
2005 R1 SOLD
1999 ZRX SOLD
1996 FZR SOLD
Unread
  (#3)
GET SOME ! ! !

August 29, 2011, 09:33 AM

Its one of those subjects where some will give you their story how they plugged a tire, and it never gave them any problems and they wouldn't give you any flak for using a plug kit on a sportbike tire.

And then you're going to get people like me, that would tell you to buy a new rear. Just to be safe, plugging a rear tire might work for a day, might work for a month, might work for a year, but the idea of having a hole in the tire and putting a temporary fix on a vehicle where if you were to lose 1 tire, you lose 50% of your stability, traction, control, etc....not worth the risk in my book, but again, only my $0.02

TPM/Roger Lyle/MARRC/NESBA #911

MARRC Cornerworker

2008 RAW Off-Road Desert Racing 58a Rider
Unread
  (#4)
GET SOME ! ! !

August 29, 2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjester View Post
Use the thread search feature... this has been dcovered about as much as what brand of oil to use.

Consensus says - Ok to plug for temp use / straight line commuting at or slightly above posted limit. Do not ride baller or rail the twisties till you get new tire.
yeah, pretty much what wildjester said, I guess it can be summed up in a lot fewer words than I used

TPM/Roger Lyle/MARRC/NESBA #911

MARRC Cornerworker

2008 RAW Off-Road Desert Racing 58a Rider
Unread
  (#5)
Give me the Ban Button!

August 29, 2011, 09:36 AM

Thats a plug kit not a patch.

Those plugs are good for car tires. I personally would never run that type of plug in a bike tire for anything more than just trying to get the bike home on a very straight smooth road.

The safest thing you can do is replace the tire.

Some people will patch tires. This is when you take the tire off the rim and basically glue a patch of rubber over the hole from the inside.

They also have some some decent tire plug kits out there. Dodge plugged one of my tires once while we were on a ride with that type and it worked well to get me home safe.

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#6)
Pew pew.

August 29, 2011, 09:45 AM

Sorry, I did try a search, but maybe I was entering the wrong keywords. Thanks for the heads up.

I don't have an SUV to tow it or anything of the sort, so I'll try to figure it out. Thanks!

--2009 yamaha fz6r on the street.
--2011 ducati 848 in my head.
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

August 29, 2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by datsit View Post
Sorry, I did try a search, but maybe I was entering the wrong keywords. Thanks for the heads up.

I don't have an SUV to tow it or anything of the sort, so I'll try to figure it out. Thanks!
Can it be done? Yup. Will it work? Yes, if done properly and the damage is minimal and not in a critical/weak area of the tire.

You said nail, but described a screw. The process you mentioned was short on a couple of important steps. Actual damage to the tire cannot be inspected by remote. Therefore my gut instinct says to tell you to get the tire replaced. A MC tire is probably not the best choice for a "How to plug a tire" lesson.