DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 534
2 members and 532 guests
beatle, Leoallafila
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
no oil pressure after change?
Unread
  (#1)
easyrider

no oil pressure after change? - July 3, 2009, 05:21 PM

just got done changing the oil in my bike, 1996 zx6. i go to take it for a spin around the neighborhood to make sure nothing is leaking and i now get the red oil pressure light coming on. all i did was drain oil, take off old filter, and replace all. Anyone have any idea what would cause this?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Ninja in Training....

July 3, 2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by import1 View Post
just got done changing the oil in my bike, 1996 zx6. i go to take it for a spin around the neighborhood to make sure nothing is leaking and i now get the red oil pressure light coming on. all i did was drain oil, take off old filter, and replace all. Anyone have any idea what would cause this?
Did you put enough in?

- Craig

If you don't know go ask yo momma

'04 R1 aka "The Bastard"
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to roadrunner78 Send a message via AIM to roadrunner78  
Unread
  (#3)
easyrider

July 3, 2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner78 View Post
Did you put enough in?
oil is to the top line of the higher tick mark on the indicator window. that's where is should be correct?
Unread
  (#4)
This Ain't My First Time!

July 3, 2009, 05:36 PM

It should be to that line with the bike in the full upright position, not on the kickstand.

OVER? did you say "Over"? Nothing is over until we decide its over, was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell No!!!

~Blutarski~

Dodge131:
If your goal is to scrape knee within 1 mile of your house then you sir have a problem.

Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
easyrider

July 3, 2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf3232 View Post
It should be to that line with the bike in the full upright position, not on the kickstand.
right, its at that level with me holding the bike level off of the kickstand, when its on the kickstand it is lower then that
Unread
  (#6)
Knee Draggin!

July 3, 2009, 05:41 PM

Fresh oil can look clear in the window, it's hard to judge sometimes. So it may be low (not up to the slight glass) or over serviced (filled beyond the site glass).

Charlie
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

July 3, 2009, 06:05 PM

Start it you should see the oil level in the site glass drop or disappear. If not you def. have a problem. Spin on Filter?
Unread
  (#8)
easyrider

July 3, 2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniecs View Post
Fresh oil can look clear in the window, it's hard to judge sometimes. So it may be low (not up to the slight glass) or over serviced (filled beyond the site glass).
Ill check it when I get back home,I put 3.6L in it which is what it says on the bike,when I drained the oil it seemed like there was more then that though in it
Unread
  (#9)
easyrider

July 3, 2009, 06:16 PM

double post

Last edited by 1Bronco; July 3, 2009 at 07:28 PM..
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

July 3, 2009, 07:11 PM

Wrong filter?
Unread
  (#11)
easyrider

July 3, 2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space View Post
Start it you should see the oil level in the site glass drop or disappear. If not you def. have a problem. Spin on Filter?
yes spin on filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown View Post
Wrong filter?
thats what im thinking because it was running like a champ prior to oil change. Im running a purolator pure one part number PL14612. looks the same size as the one that was on there before but could be wrong.
Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

July 3, 2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by import1 View Post
yes spin on filter

thats what im thinking because it was running like a champ prior to oil change. Im running a purolator pure one part number PL14612. looks the same size as the one that was on there before but could be wrong.
That should not be the problem. I run that filter as well. I was asking because some cartage filters have a check that and if not installed in the proper direction of flow the valves can block flow.

Did you start it? Dumb question, did you loosen or knock the connector for the pressure sender off. If you oil level drops in the sight glass your pump is atleast moving oil.
Unread
  (#13)
easyrider

July 3, 2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space View Post
That should not be the problem. I run that filter as well. I was asking because some cartage filters have a check that and if not installed in the proper direction of flow the valves can block flow.

Did you start it? Dumb question, did you loosen or knock the connector for the pressure sender off. If you oil level drops in the sight glass your pump is atleast moving oil.
hmm maybe, when i first put oil in it the red oil pressure light was not on. i ran it for like 1 or 2 mins then stopped to recheck the oil level. then i cleaned up, pulled the bike out of the garage and started it and the oil pressure light stayed on at that point.

edit:ill have to check it out tomorrow morning, but where is the connector located? close to the oil filter? and since my bike is a 1996 does it have a pressure sensor or is it just an oil level sensor?

Last edited by 1Bronco; July 3, 2009 at 08:10 PM..
Unread
  (#14)
Has an idiot exemption

July 3, 2009, 08:49 PM

I've seen the check valve in new filters go bad.
Even if the level was low the pressure light should go out.
Replace the filter.

Steve

2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2008 Honda CRF 450R
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#15)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

July 3, 2009, 09:44 PM

If you did everything right,ride it a while.It's like when you have a car and you don't put your gas cap back on,you get the check engine light.....same thing with bikes.

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, itís like thisÖA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven