DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 558
3 members and 555 guests
2blueyam, amit, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Odd noise
Unread
  (#1)
Noob-alishish

Odd noise - October 7, 2009, 11:24 AM

Just had my cct replaced by fairfax cycles. Took it back because it sounded like it was vibrating a little they checked it and tightened it a hair and said I have a small exhaust leak that could make that sound to.

So everything was great but I've noticed at exactly 4.5k Roma when I jump the throttle and let off it'll rattle down till 4k Rome WTF? Is this the cct or could it be my exhaust I don't wana keep bugging them for nothing I know I'm still a squid learning about my bike.

Thanks for any advice.

Ps it only seems to happen at 4.5k toms no more no less and only when I jump it a little if I just ease through it and back off no rattle.

Remember to Breathe.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Street Bonk Bum.....

October 7, 2009, 11:28 AM

just give em a call. im sure they will be glad to explain things to you. just tell em that your still learning your bike and ask questions.

CCS AM # 204
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Noob-alishish

October 7, 2009, 11:41 AM

Ok I just didn't want to annoy them ya know already been back once lol. I used to work at a autoshop and I know how people can be and didn't want to be one of those people lol.

Remember to Breathe.
Unread
  (#4)
opossum puncher

October 7, 2009, 12:01 PM

It also helps to eliminate other possible noise makers, a dirty or kinked chain will be very noisy so clean and lube your final drive chain.

What prompted the replacement of the CCT, was the chain checked to ensure it hadnt stretched pass tolerances, or the gears on the cam and or crank checked?

Does the noise only appear under load?

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#5)
Noob-alishish

October 7, 2009, 12:06 PM

Yes only underload the cct was replaced because it was starting to rattle a little or make that rattle noise I should say. It is deff coming from the right side of the bike but I will lube my chain and adjust.

Edit not sure if they checked the cam stuff? Do they usually?

Remember to Breathe.
Unread
  (#6)
2 wheels for life

October 7, 2009, 12:26 PM

I didn't understand what you meant by roma, rome and toms

Adrenaline Addict
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
Noob-alishish

October 7, 2009, 01:15 PM

Rpms gay iPhone corrected it to what it thought was right sorry. That means rpms

Remember to Breathe.
Unread
  (#8)
opossum puncher

October 7, 2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby View Post
Yes only underload the cct was replaced because it was starting to rattle a little or make that rattle noise I should say. It is deff coming from the right side of the bike but I will lube my chain and adjust.

Edit not sure if they checked the cam stuff? Do they usually?
No. I had a CCT replaced only to find out when I got home that a guide has pushed through its seat in the block and I was missing 3 teeth off the crank. Unless you authorize shops to charge you for the extra hour or two of fishing for problems they sure as hell arnt going to delve in to your motor.

My suggestion... if you get a chance run by a different shop and see if you can get someone to listen to it really quick. Tell them you just had it repaired and you want to make sure your ears aren't playing tricks on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEP View Post
I didn't understand what you meant by roma, rome and toms
Im willing to bet he sent this from a phone where it is using auto type, replace all those words with 'RPMs'

-

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
Unread
  (#9)
TPG - screw face

October 7, 2009, 01:40 PM

if it wasn't ticking when u brought it in, then take it back and have them fix it...this ain't jiffy lube...fix one thing, mess up another. If it was ticking and they said a new cct will fix it, take it back...cuz obviously it didn't

they'll prolly tell you u need to "just run it for a while"

i wonder if they had to take off cam cover to get to the cam chain...maybe it's not sealed properly.....
Unread
  (#10)
Noob-alishish

October 7, 2009, 01:44 PM

OK guys thanks!!! I'll call tomorrow try to get it in Friday don't want it dying on me she is growing on me. And she is my DD lol.

Remember to Breathe.
Unread
  (#11)
opossum puncher

October 7, 2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneway View Post
if it wasn't ticking when u brought it in, then take it back and have them fix it...this ain't jiffy lube...fix one thing, mess up another. If it was ticking and they said a new cct will fix it, take it back...cuz obviously it didn't

they'll prolly tell you u need to "just run it for a while"

i wonder if they had to take off cam cover to get to the cam chain...maybe it's not sealed properly.....
Nope, the CCT is very easy to replace, pull the gas tank/airbox and two bolts, you cant see much in the small space it occupies either.

It would be very hard to damage something else when replacing a CCT. You cant even actually see the chain itself, just the tension rod the CCT pushes on.

-

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
Unread
  (#12)
TPG - screw face

October 7, 2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx6rfool View Post
Nope, the CCT is very easy to replace, pull the gas tank/airbox and two bolts, you cant see much in the small space it occupies either.

It would be very hard to damage something else when replacing a CCT. You cant even actually see the chain itself, just the tension rod the CCT pushes on.
ah word up. so on that bike, u can adjust the cam chain (after installing a CCT) without removing the cam cover?
Unread
  (#13)
SMB
sans motor bike

October 7, 2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
ah word up.

wow

I dip my chicken strips in Chik-fil-a sauce
Unread
  (#14)
opossum puncher

October 7, 2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
ah word up. so on that bike, u can adjust the cam chain (after installing a CCT) without removing the cam cover?
Depends on what you say when you mean adjust, are you talking about realigning the cam chain itself? There isnt a need to adjust the cam chain when replacing a CCT, unless the chain has jumped teeth, and then you got bigger problems (possible interference)

The CCT does not adjust the cam chain though, it just applies pressure to the guide keeping the chain taught. Unless a manual CCT was installed, still, even then the goal is just to keep the chain taught and to keep it from doing what mine did when my CCT failed a few years back (guide though block and destroyed the crank gear = new motor)

-

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
Unread
  (#15)
TPG - screw face

October 7, 2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx6rfool View Post
Depends on what you say when you mean adjust, are you talking about realigning the cam chain itself? There isnt a need to adjust the cam chain when replacing a CCT, unless the chain has jumped teeth, and then you got bigger problems (possible interference)

The CCT does not adjust the cam chain though, it just applies pressure to the guide keeping the chain taught. Unless a manual CCT was installed, still, even then the goal is just to keep the chain taught and to keep it from doing what mine did when my CCT failed a few years back (guide though block and destroyed the crank gear = new motor)
yea that's what i was sayin. i know when i was helpin with mine, without the cct in place, the chain could move very easily on the teeth. In the OP's case, I figured it was best to at least make sure the cam chain is aligned properly when the cct is removed and replaced, considering the chain now has a gang of slack in it. Better be safe than sorry i guess.