DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 553
3 members and 550 guests
2blueyam, amit, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Oil?
Unread
  (#1)
Cheers

Oil? - December 27, 2008, 07:15 PM

will 5w 30 work in a gsxr 600?
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
See the mouth and the eye

December 27, 2008, 07:27 PM

5W-30 is probably too light for your bike, even during the winter. Use a heavier weight oil like 10W-30, it will provide good lubrication between like 10 degrees F through about 90 degrees F. Use Repsol oil too, they make their own oil and its better than any other oil you can buy.

-Mark

2007 Yamaha RVI (sold, treat her nice Chris)

MARRC Cornerworker

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to dv/dt  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

December 27, 2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDouble View Post
will 5w 30 work in a gsxr 600?
When in doubt follow the manuals recomendations.

IMHO: 5W-30 is on the light side as mentioned above. As far as brand... As long as it's rated for use in a motorcycle and you change it regularly you won't have any trouble.

I use full sythentic but fully understand that other than the warm fuzzy it gives me it probably won't ever make a noticable difference.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
TPG - screw face

December 27, 2008, 08:25 PM

oil thread
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

December 27, 2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneway View Post
oil thread
Heh, heh. Well it's winter. (Though I did ride today for the first time in a week)

Hold on to yor hat. If it rains tomorrow I'm going to post up threads asking about tires, chain lube, knee dragging, and how to wheelie.... LOL.
Unread
  (#6)
GDMFSOB

December 27, 2008, 10:33 PM

Will you PM me on the wheelie thread? Please?

#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.
Unread
  (#7)
Got Any Gwapes?

December 28, 2008, 12:47 AM

10w-30 is not a heavier oil than a 5w-30. The "w" stands for winter , meaning how it flows at cold temperatures. The lower the first number, almost always, denotes a better refinement. Either way, both oils are a 30 weight.

A lighter oil is fine in your bike. One of the biggest things to damage a bike's oil is the transmission. If I were you, I'd use a 0w-40 synthetic, such as Mobil 1. For the money, your best bet is Shell Rotella 5w-40 in the blue bottle. Cheap, holds up very well and easy to get.

"I didn't know they gave out rings at the Holocaust"

*GODFATHER*
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to boomboom929  
Unread
  (#8)
2 wheels for life

December 28, 2008, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboom929 View Post
10w-30 is not a heavier oil than a 5w-30. The "w" stands for winter , meaning how it flows at cold temperatures. The lower the first number, almost always, denotes a better refinement. Either way, both oils are a 30 weight.

A lighter oil is fine in your bike. One of the biggest things to damage a bike's oil is the transmission. If I were you, I'd use a 0w-40 synthetic, such as Mobil 1. For the money, your best bet is Shell Rotella 5w-40 in the blue bottle. Cheap, holds up very well and easy to get.
if that is true am thinking of switching to 0w-40 its .. half the price of Repsol too

Adrenaline Addict
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

December 28, 2008, 07:39 AM

Quote:

Another oil thread

Don't MOST 5w and 0w automotive oils contain friction modifiers that COULD cause the ever so sensitive clutch to slip and fall?

I know you know way more about this stuff than me. I believe it makes more sense to and feed the machine the weight the manufacturer suggests. For instance, my OM says not to put anything lower than a 15w40. I figure that if they designed the motor and warranty it then they should know what is the best oil for it.

Unread
  (#10)
Got Any Gwapes?

December 28, 2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space View Post
Another oil thread

Don't MOST 5w and 0w automotive oils contain friction modifiers that COULD cause the ever so sensitive clutch to slip and fall?

I know you know way more about this stuff than me. I believe it makes more sense to and feed the machine the weight the manufacturer suggests. For instance, my OM says not to put anything lower than a 15w40. I figure that if they designed the motor and warranty it then they should know what is the best oil for it.

It's true, 30 weights have molybdenum in them. It is a grease designed to make things slipperier. Having said that, high horsepower motorcycles tend to be the first to have a clutch slip faster and worse. Several top AMA superbike teams run 0w-30 in their bikes and find that modern clutches don't slip from it. I haven't seen a clutch slip from a friction modifier in 10 years. In other words, what used to be true seems to be turning into a wive's tale. I guess they're making better clutches/bikes.

As far as your bike, the 40 is what you need to focus on, not the 15w. Rotella is exactly what you'd benefit from.

*GODFATHER*
Unread
  (#11)
Agitator

December 28, 2008, 09:28 AM

I'm marc, and I approve jay's message.

Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS
2006 SV650 Racebike
2010 CBR1000RR

...and because sometimes you want to go fast, but need 4 wheels:
2009 Nissan GT-R
2003 Nissan 350Z (for sale, $11k OBO)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to birdman  
Unread
  (#12)
Got Any Gwapes?

December 28, 2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
I'm marc, and I approve jay's message.
IT MOVED, JERRY, IT MOVED!!!

*GODFATHER*
Unread
  (#13)
Knee Draggin!

December 28, 2008, 09:42 AM

Dry clutches ... than you can run anything you want and it sounds like a diesel. BTW do a thread search and save yourself some time on this topic.

What I do in life will echo through eternity.
Unread
  (#14)
BE ENCOURAGED!

December 28, 2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
....30 weights have molybdenum in them

Molybdenum (pronounced /məˈlɪbdənəm/, from the Greek word for the metal "lead"), is a Group 6 chemical element with the symbol Mo and atomic number 42. It has the eighth-highest melting point of any element, and for this reason it is often used in high-strength steel alloys. Molybdenum is found in trace amounts in plants and animals, although excess molybdenum can be toxic in some animals. Molybdenum was discovered in 1778 by Carl Wilhelm Scheele and first isolated in 1781 by Peter Jacob Hjelm.

Molybdenum is a transition metal with an electronegativity of 1.8 on the Pauling scale and an atomic mass of 95.9 g/mole. It does not react with oxygen or water at room temperature. At elevated temperatures, molybdenum trioxide is formed in the reaction 2Mo + 3O2 → 2MoO3.

In its pure metal form, molybdenum is silvery white with a Mohs hardness of 5.5, though it is somewhat more ductile than tungsten. It has a melting point of 2623C, and, of the naturally-occurring metals, only tantalum, osmium, rhenium, and tungsten have higher melting points. Molybdenum burns only at temperatures above 600C. It also has the lowest heating expansion of any commercially used metal.

Molybdenum has a value of approximately $65,000 per tonne as of 4 May 2007. It maintained a price at or near $10,000 per tonne from 1997 through 2002, and reached a high of $103,000 per tonne in June 2005

There are 35 known isotopes of molybdenum ranging in atomic mass from 83 to 117, as well as four metastable nuclear isomers. Seven isotopes occur naturally, with atomic masses of 92, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, and 100. Of these naturally occurring isotopes, five are stable, with atomic masses from 94 to 98. All unstable isotopes of molybdenum decay into isotopes of niobium, technetium, and ruthenium.

Molybdenum-92 and molybdenum-100 are the only naturally occurring isotopes that are not stable. Molybdenum-100 has a half-life of approximately 11019 y and undergoes double beta decay into ruthenium-100. Molybdenum-98 is the most common isotope, comprising 24.14% of all molybdenum. Molybdenum isotopes with mass numbers from 111 to 117 all have half-lives of approximately .15 μs.

The world's largest producers of molybdenum materials are the United States, Canada, Chile, Russia, and China.

Though molybdenum is found in such minerals as wulfenite (PbMoO4) and powellite (CaMoO4), the main commercial source of molybdenum is molybdenite (MoS2). Molybdenum is mined as a principal ore, and is also recovered as a byproduct of copper and tungsten mining. Large mines in Colorado (Climax mine) and in British Columbia yield molybdenite, while many porphyry copper deposits such as the Chuquicamata mine in northern Chile produce molybdenum as a byproduct of copper mining. The Knaben mine in southern Norway was opened in 1885, making it the first molybdenum mine. It remained open until 1973.

Molybdenum is the 42nd-most-abundant element in the universe, and the 25th-most-abundant element in Earth's oceans, with an average of 10.8 mt/km. The Russian Luna 24 mission discovered a single molybdenum-bearing grain (1 0.6 m) in a pyroxene fragment taken from Mare Crisium on the Moon.

A side product of molybdenum mining is rhenium. As it is always present in small varying quantities in molybdenite, the only commercial source for rhenium is molybdenum mines.

The molybdenite is roasted at a temperature of 700C and the sulfide is oxidized into molybdenum(IV) oxide by air.
2MoS2 + 5O2 → 2MoO3 + 2SO2

The roasted ore is either heated to 1100C to sublime the oxide or leached with ammonia, with which molybdenum(IV) oxide forms water soluble molybdates
MoO3 + NH4OH → (NH4)2(MoO4) + H2O
Copper is less soluble in ammonia, but to remove it from the solution the copper is precipitated with hydrogen sulfide.

FOREVER #47 "Walking In The Echo...."
Are you a 'Secret Believer"? Do you Conceal your faith from your family, friends and co-workers? Isn't it about time to step out of hiding and let others know whom you follow?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Unread
  (#15)
GP Champ

December 28, 2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
It's true, 30 weights have molybdenum in them. It is a grease designed to make things slipperier. Having said that, high horsepower motorcycles tend to be the first to have a clutch slip faster and worse. Several top AMA superbike teams run 0w-30 in their bikes and find that modern clutches don't slip from it. I haven't seen a clutch slip from a friction modifier in 10 years. In other words, what used to be true seems to be turning into a wive's tale. I guess they're making better clutches/bikes.

As far as your bike, the 40 is what you need to focus on, not the 15w. Rotella is exactly what you'd benefit from.
I have never had any clutch issues running auto oil. 55k on the original clutch I was just fueling the oil thread a bit. I just finished changing the oil in both bikes. Rotella 5w40 in the FZ and M1 15w50 in the triple. I use the 15w50 because that is what the Mobil Racing 4T was before they changed it. And, of course, Pure One filters.

Last edited by Space; December 28, 2008 at 10:22 AM..