DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 536
3 members and 533 guests
2blueyam, davidcycle, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Opinions on new springs and fork oil
Unread
  (#1)
AMA Superbike Champ

Opinions on new springs and fork oil - July 26, 2010, 11:43 PM

I decided to experiment with my SV650s front end. I went ahead and bought 0.9 kg/mm springs and 15w oil. Right now there's still the stock oil and stuff in there that's 0.65 kg/mm springs and maybe 5w oil (according to racetech). They're conventional forks with a simple damper rod mechanism.

My question is whether you think this will make the bike way too stiff? I'm a 180 pound rider but routinely carry 20-30 pounds of crap with me.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

July 26, 2010, 11:56 PM

What were the spring recommendations on racetechs site for your weight and I would suggest the emulators if you can afford them. They allow your fork to be tuned more like a cartridge fork.
Unread
  (#3)
AMA Superbike Champ

July 27, 2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Rider Weight: 180 lbs.
Bike Weight: 402 lbs.

FRONT FORK SPRINGS
Recommended Fork Spring Rate for Street: 0.891 kg/mm (use closest available)
Stock Fork Spring Rate: .670 kg/mm (stock)

I wasn't going to get the emulators, but now I'm thinking about it... Just a street commuter but, I might still just go all out while I'm tearing my forks apart.

Wow emulator kits are expensive. lol.

Last edited by minuslars1; July 27, 2010 at 06:47 AM..
Unread
  (#4)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

July 27, 2010, 07:10 AM

That fork oil is a bit thick. Also pay very close attention to the oil level.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

July 27, 2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131 View Post
That fork oil is a bit thick. Also pay very close attention to the oil level.
If he does the stiffer springs he would have to increase the rebound damping and unfortunately that would either involve thicker fork oil or pulling the damper rods from the forks and brazing the rebound orifice shut and resizing it which can involve some trial and error. Either way the emulators will make the fork 100 times better and they are super easy to tune.
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

July 27, 2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minuslars1 View Post

I wasn't going to get the emulators, but now I'm thinking about it... Just a street commuter but, I might still just go all out while I'm tearing my forks apart.

They are expensive but well worth it. The problem with damper rod forks are the orifice style damping and if you go with the 15w oil to compensate for the stiffer fork springs then the forks will become really harsh when the shaft speeds increase. Make since?
Unread
  (#7)
AMA Superbike Champ

July 27, 2010, 01:07 PM

thanks for the replies, might return the springs for now and get an emulator kit to try on the stock springs. Any recommendations? Are there any local shops that stock them?

Last edited by minuslars1; July 27, 2010 at 01:15 PM..
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

July 27, 2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
thanks for the replies, might return the springs for now and get an emulator kit to try on the stock springs. Any recommendations? Are there any local shops that stock them?
Keep the springs! The emulators don't compensate for poorly sprung suspension. If money is an issue than do the springs now and the emulators later. Also I doubt any shop will stock the emulators but we are a race tech dealer (Manassas Honda) and a site sponsor and I'm sure I can get you at least 10% off the emulators. The installation is pretty easy and if you're comfortable with tearing the forks down then it shouldn't take more than a few hours and I could help if you needed it.
Unread
  (#9)
unapologetic

July 27, 2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:

and worth every penny. SV's can be notoriously vague in the front, emulators will help a bunch in getting a more defined performance when riding.

If RedLevel can get you a few bucks off, take advantage. Also take advantage of the installation help, because once you do it, you will have a better understanding of how things work in there.

Follow the recomended guidelines for the street application, when and if you decide to put it on the track you can make some spring/oil changes.

good luck!

"ride on #47, ride on"

on the internet you can be anyone you want, it's strange that so many people choose to be so stupid