DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 568
4 members and 564 guests
BlackHatch, davidcycle, GRN96WS6, onel0wcubn
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Possible head gasket leak?Valve cover?
Unread
  (#1)
SPANNERWRENCHCLICKCLICK

Possible head gasket leak?Valve cover? - October 9, 2011, 05:06 PM

As everyone knows ive had overheating issues with my bike....

After numerous monies on it it ran fine...i decided to fix my intake tube with JBweld so my nose woulndt be all floppy..and went on a cruise...

had my fairings off and notice oil behind the header coming from the valve cover... i checked the oil..looks good (its due ofr oil change but a normal brownish color) no chocolate milk or nothing...

So maybe its just the valve cover gasket? and how much of a PIA is it? will motor have to be completley removed?

its not low on oil either...so i dunno In military terms would be a Class I leak condenstaion of oil but i run my finger around the gasket and it will pick up about a drops worth

bike just hit 13k.....Normally i would do the work myself but my garage is a bit away from me and a trailer queen harley is always on the lift and i hate asking to move it....

ill snap a pic or two in a bit and throw it up...

[SIGPIC]http://www.griseldaonline.it/foto/6galleria/tradimenti/warhol%20last%20supper%201986.jpg[/SIGPIC]The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
SPANNERWRENCHCLICKCLICK

October 9, 2011, 05:15 PM

its only coming from the left side as well..just this 1 spot... and possibly in the back?

but the Rightside is clean as ever (R/s if on bike) ....maybe my valve cover just took a dump possibly?

[SIGPIC]http://www.griseldaonline.it/foto/6galleria/tradimenti/warhol%20last%20supper%201986.jpg[/SIGPIC]The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.

Unread
  (#3)
Meh

October 9, 2011, 08:44 PM

Pretty easy fix for a valve cover leak.

If it is a bad head gasket, you will be pushing water to in either the exhaust or the oil. Both should leave visible indications.
Unread
  (#4)
SPANNERWRENCHCLICKCLICK

October 9, 2011, 10:19 PM

thats what i figured i think i was being a little worried since i did have the overheating problems earlier in the summer....

imma look again tomorrow...but from that pic... i dont see the rubber gasket... but on the right side (dry side) the gasket is clearly visible and dry... maybe it finally wore out etc....

im so fed up it seems everytime i fix 1 thing something else happens....

then i tried test fitting my SF headlight and no dice brings it too close to the forks giving me no room to fab a bracket for my speedo... bleh