DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 573
0 members and 573 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Power Commander Going Bad????
Unread
  (#1)
What are we doing here???

Power Commander Going Bad???? - May 31, 2008, 10:09 PM

Quick question - How do you know when your PCIII is going bad? Mine "lost" my custom map one weekend and made the bike run like crap in the mid-range. I've had it installed for 8 months with no problems until now. Dyno Jet told me to clear the map and run it from stock to see if that works. If the bike runs fine, try a stock map and go from there. Im wondering if it is even worth the trouble to reinstall it and go through that headache instead of just sending it back and getting a new one.

Beauty and The Beast

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
old fat and slow

June 1, 2008, 10:21 AM

while they do go bad from time to time it is fairly rare. i would follow their advise and they will tell you when to send it back. who did your custom map for you? they should have kept it on file or given you a copy of it on disk, if so about 5 minutes to re-load it back to the p/c. if not then you will prolly have to pay to have it done again and this time ask for a copy.

MissS:no now!!!

bambam nope you said i have a few hours

MissS: I changed my mind

bambam: see MissS: well, you have a few hours

MissS: I'm a female, allowed to do it
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to bambam  
Unread
  (#3)

June 1, 2008, 12:17 PM

Dan Kyle did the map for me and I have a copy saved on my laptop. I removed the PC Friday morning because I was running late for work. What I don't want to do is reinstall it just to take it back out again, ship it back, and put in another one. I was thinking that if it happened once, chances are it will happen again so I just should get a new one. Thanks for the help.

Beauty and The Beast

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Unread
  (#4)

June 10, 2008, 08:04 PM

Ok guys, I finally had time off from work to do some wrenching on the bike and after a call to DynoJet to get advice on what to do, I hooked it up to my laptop and saw this for a map. WTF????

Iím wondering how in the heck it did that on its own. I reset the map and updated the firmware so hopefully, it wonít happen again. The map is supposed to look like this, by the way.

Beauty and The Beast

Unread
  (#5)
GP Racer

June 10, 2008, 08:56 PM

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that the ground connection is bad or that you've recently installed something that puts ripple on the +12V supply on the bike. Or the rectifier in your alternator died.

In any case, this sounds like a power problem to me, but it's just a hunch.

'02 SV-650S track bike (for sale, but in Shreveport, LA)
'05 Yamaha TTR-125L
'94 Dodge Viper RT/10
other boring stuff
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to mangle  
Unread
  (#6)

June 11, 2008, 08:13 AM

Ok guys, I screwed up. It was my fault. It didnít hit me until I was putting everything back together last night. I have a disc lock that I keep in the trunk with the PC and Iím guessing that while I was out on some curves, the lock must have hit a few of the buttons on front the PC for the manual adjustments. This is possible since I donít have both the power commander and the lock secured in the trunk and both will tend to roll around back there if I get aggressive on the turns. I zip tied the PC to the inner frame with the buttons facing inside and the back exposed and I am going to figure out a way to tie that lock down so it doesnít move too so hopefully, this does not happen again.

Beauty and The Beast

Last edited by RCFiddyOne; June 11, 2008 at 08:20 AM..
Unread
  (#7)
GP Racer

June 11, 2008, 09:04 AM

I can tell you that the ground wire that goes to the battery comes lose on the RC all this time. I have had this problem happen.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to 600killer Send a message via AIM to 600killer