DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 519
2 members and 517 guests
beatle, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Power Commander or not. Do I really need it?
Unread
  (#1)
MSF Student

Post Power Commander or not. Do I really need it? - October 21, 2015, 12:26 PM

Hi All,

This is the problem I have been having. I have 2008 GSX-R 600 I have a full M4 exhaust on it with a power commander. It's been on there for about 7 years now. When i first got it I was having problems with the cold start. I would start up in the mornings when the temp. outside was kind of cool. It would idle really low to the point it would cut off and the FI light would come on. So i would re-start it. In order for it to run I would have to hold the throttle open and the let the bike rev until the bike engine reaches about 160 degrees. Once it reaches est. 160 degrees you can hear the idle rev higher which lets me know that it is ready to run on it's own. This problem still exist.
NEW PROBLEM 2 times over the summer while riding on the highway my FI light came on and you can feel the bike loose power so I pulled over. Shut the bike off and restart it. It did restart so I continue on down the road. I am trying to find out what this issue can be. I will be putting the bike in the shop this weekend to see if they can tell me what the problem is. My neighbor was telling me that it could be the power commander and to look into removing it because I really don't need it. I have been hearing people say you don't need it. But this is a full exhaust system on my bike. Do I really need it or not. I am just looking for a little input on this subject. Regardless of the replies I get from here I will be putting it in the shop to have it checked.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Back on 2 wheels. . .

October 21, 2015, 12:37 PM

There are people with much more experience than I on this board but you can remove it and test. In general if you have put a full system on, an air filter, etc. . . . some level of tuning is preferred to both not only make the bike run better than w/o but to really extract the benefit of those modifications. If you have not done any bike specific tuning with the PC you are really not getting a benefit anyways. Please note a PC is not the only way to tune either there are other systems out there and you can even flash the factory ECU if you want.

2008 Suzuki BKing
2006 Suzuki GSXR1000 - Sold - Kick myself every ride for selling this thing, best bike I ever owned.
2004 Suzuki GSXR600- Sold
2002 Suzuki SV650s - Sold
2001 Suzuki Katana 600 - Sold
Unread
  (#3)
MSF Student

October 21, 2015, 12:53 PM

When I first got it i took it to a place to have it dyno tuned. It's been a while since I had this done. So maybe I will have it tuned up again change spark plugs and everything. I just want to make sure i don't continue to have any problems. Plus I don't want to be wasting money on things that are not going to fix this problem. Thanks for your reply.
Unread
  (#4)
Yo quiero Trackday!

October 21, 2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore_gsx-r View Post
Hi All,

This is the problem I have been having. I have 2008 GSX-R 600 I have a full M4 exhaust on it with a power commander. It's been on there for about 7 years now. When i first got it I was having problems with the cold start. I would start up in the mornings when the temp. outside was kind of cool. It would idle really low to the point it would cut off and the FI light would come on. So i would re-start it. In order for it to run I would have to hold the throttle open and the let the bike rev until the bike engine reaches about 160 degrees. Once it reaches est. 160 degrees you can hear the idle rev higher which lets me know that it is ready to run on it's own. This problem still exist.
NEW PROBLEM 2 times over the summer while riding on the highway my FI light came on and you can feel the bike loose power so I pulled over. Shut the bike off and restart it. It did restart so I continue on down the road. I am trying to find out what this issue can be. I will be putting the bike in the shop this weekend to see if they can tell me what the problem is. My neighbor was telling me that it could be the power commander and to look into removing it because I really don't need it. I have been hearing people say you don't need it. But this is a full exhaust system on my bike. Do I really need it or not. I am just looking for a little input on this subject. Regardless of the replies I get from here I will be putting it in the shop to have it checked.

You can save the shop some time (and save you money) by removing the power commander from the equation. Remove the power commander, and see if the problem persists/go away. If it persists, tell the shop that the issue occurs with/without the powercommander.

Is the power commander absolutely necessary? Nope, you can ride all day long without it, even if you have a full exhaust/air filter on the bike.

How many miles are you off the recommended maintenance schedule?
Unread
  (#5)
MSF Student

October 21, 2015, 01:18 PM

It's been a couple years since I had a tune up. Will be putting the shop this week to check the bike and do a tune up. Oil & filter is changed every year. I will look into removing the P.C. and see what happens. Thanks.
Unread
  (#6)
Sewing Machine Rider

October 21, 2015, 01:19 PM

You can take it off entirely to see if it's causing your issue. The bike will probably run a little leaner, but should be fine. It doesn't really sound like it was ever installed\mapped correctly since you had starting\FI trouble from the get-go.

Alternatively, you could download the software, plug it in, and take a look at your map\verify connectivity to make sure you haven't worn through some wiring or something in the 7 years it's been on there.
Unread
  (#7)
MSF Student

October 21, 2015, 03:32 PM

Yeah I was thinking the same thing when it was put on. I made the mistake of letting someone put it on who did not have a dyno machine. So once it was put on I had to take it somewhere else to tune it. But I will check into this and have this issue corrected. thank you.
Unread
  (#8)
Groping is a skill...

October 21, 2015, 11:54 PM

Also, there are so many powercommander maps out there for the K6-K15 gixxers that you should have no issues finding a map that fullfills your needs. Before you uninstall completely (which is more of a process), just hook it up to your computer. Download your current map and save it so you can upload it later if that's not the issue. Then upload a generic map that was just made for exhaust/intake etc... See if the issue persists. If it does your next step could be to just remove it completely. If it goes away it was probably your tune and you can keep the generic map which you should be totally fine with.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

October 22, 2015, 07:40 AM

You need to pull the codes when the FI light is on. Don't worry about saving your currant map. The PC will keep it stored fine. Sounds like there is another problem that is not related to the PC.

If you have a full exhaust you really should have the PC installed and have it checked to make sure it has a good map for your bike.

Is it a PC3 or 5?

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#10)
MSF Student

October 22, 2015, 10:10 AM

I believe it's a PC 3, but I will make sure when I get back home.

Last edited by Bmore_gsx-r; October 22, 2015 at 10:23 AM..