DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 152
5 members and 147 guests
Diggy, nootherids, R6SP, RRonin, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Question about the Battery
Unread
  (#1)
Slow as a turtle...

Question about the Battery - October 21, 2014, 03:37 PM

Guys, have a question related to Honda VFR(6th Gen) battery.

If charged overnight, battery is showing voltage of 12.5-12.6Volts, if left for over 24 hrs, showing 13.2-13.3Volts. I took it for load test at a shop and they declared that battery is good.

Not sure if it matters, but it's Yuasa battery and is nearly 3 years old. Here is my question, should I replace the battery because it shows 12.5-12.6Volts and it's old? Or keep it on the tender whenever I am not riding it and will be able to get some more time out of it.

Honda VFR's are notorious for charging issues and don't want to fry stator and/or R/R because of bad battery.

Any input and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

---Showing gratitude is one of the simplest yet most powerful things humans can do for each other---
---Courtesy is as much a mark of a gentleman as courage.---

Last edited by maverickfhs; October 21, 2014 at 03:39 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
My Chicken eats Busa's

October 21, 2014, 04:25 PM

Replace the battery. A good battery should be in the 13's when freshly charged. Besides, anything past 3 years on a motorcycle battery is a gift. it's also a small price to pay for piece of mind and not destroying your charging system.

We've got that Interstate battery in stock, btw...
just sayin

2003 Honda SuperHawk
No other bike needed. Already have SuperHawk

Click here for Brooks Cycles!
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

October 21, 2014, 04:25 PM

The difference in voltage between overnight and 24 hours could simply be the rate of charge due to the charger used, or it could be higher than optimal internal resistance in the battery which can slow the charging process.

If the battery tests good on a load tester and charges well enough in use on the bike I wouldn't worry about it. If you are concerned about the charging system then check it. A bad battery will work the charging system harder but if the regulator is bad that's a separate issue.

With the bike running around 2500 rpm or so I'd guess the voltage measured across the battery should be 14+ volts and probably less than 15 volts. If it's 16 volts or more, or less than 13 volts something is amiss and will need to be chased down. The specific Good/not good numbers should be in the manual under testing.

Edit: I'll defer to Brooks Cycles judgement. They deal with this stuff everyday.

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.

Last edited by windblown; October 21, 2014 at 04:27 PM..
Unread
  (#4)
Signed up for Track Days!

October 21, 2014, 04:30 PM

Do you have a way to measure the battery with a multimeter while starting and running? If, when starting, the voltage approaches 10V then it's probably going bad. When running it should be closer to 14V (maybe higher), if it's lower than that then it's not being charged properly. These are very approximate and depends on the vehicle. I thought a battery should read 12.6V when it's not connected to anything. If it reads 12V just sitting around then it's a bad battery.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I will also defer to the expertise of the above posters.
Unread
  (#5)
Slow as a turtle...

October 21, 2014, 04:34 PM

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I did the testing in terms of charging system and stator. Rest all has checked out fine and as such I have no problem with the battery.

It gives 14.4-14.5 Volts at idle and 5.5k rpm. So charging system is fine.

superchickencornermonster, how much is an interstate battery?

Waiting till spring would be a good idea or always better to replace before winter? I might be doing little bit of riding here and there, not everyday though.

P.S: I haven't checked while starting, going to do it, because that can be a good indicator too.

Thanks everyone.

---Showing gratitude is one of the simplest yet most powerful things humans can do for each other---
---Courtesy is as much a mark of a gentleman as courage.---

Last edited by maverickfhs; October 21, 2014 at 04:36 PM..
Unread
  (#6)
Slowest Going Straight

October 21, 2014, 10:51 PM

Having owned a few VFRs the above info is good and should help figuring it out. If you need a battery I have a near new YUASA for a 3rd gen (should fit a 6th gen?) that I never used due to totaling the bike. It's only a year old and has been off and on the tender. $20 and it's yours.