DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 567
1 members and 566 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Question about Buna-N o-rings
Unread
  (#1)
Licensed Rider

Question about Buna-N o-rings - February 24, 2011, 08:24 AM

Just a quick question. So, I am looking to do my forks and thought I would replace the o-rings while I was there, but I don't want to pay $2+ for o-rings from Honda. I did find a site that sells Buna-N o-rings by the piece at $.40 or less. The problem is, what is the difference between Buna-N 50, Buna-N 70, and Buna-N 90? The only one I can find the correct size in is Buna-N 70.

Last edited by marc0011; February 24, 2011 at 08:28 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
unapologetic

February 24, 2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc0011 View Post
Just a quick question. So, I am looking to do my forks and thought I would replace the o-rings while I was there, but I don't want to pay $2+ for o-rings from Honda. I did find a site that sells Buna-N o-rings by the piece at $.40 or less. The problem is, what is the difference between Buna-N 50, Buna-N 70, and Buna-N 90? The only one I can find the correct size in is Buna-N 70.
Good idea to replace the seals and rings while you are in there but:
wait, so you want to replacecomponents of the primary damping system installed on your motorcycle to help with control and ride quality and are looking to save $1.60 or so by looking for a cheaper than stock replacement parts?

they are only $2 each.

"ride on #47, ride on"

on the internet you can be anyone you want, it's strange that so many people choose to be so stupid
Unread
  (#3)
The last urrbendah

February 24, 2011, 08:44 AM

If anyone knows about o-ring maintenance, it's Hollywood.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#4)
Licensed Rider

February 24, 2011, 09:26 AM

My thoughts were if they are the same thing, why pay more? I'm just trying to determine whether or not these o-rings are equal to what Honda sells.
Unread
  (#5)
Licensed Rider

February 24, 2011, 09:31 AM

Another thing. On my F3, this supplier is the only way to get the o-ring without buying a whole new damping rod which is saving more than $1.60.
Unread
  (#6)
Street Bonk Bum.....

February 24, 2011, 09:35 AM

dang 1.60 savings thats like one full mcdouble and half of another!!!

CCS AM # 204
Unread
  (#7)
Licensed Rider

February 24, 2011, 09:41 AM

Student budgets are tight these days. Looking to say a dime or pick up a dime where ever I can.
Unread
  (#8)
unapologetic

February 24, 2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
If anyone knows about o-ring maintenance, it's Hollywood.
lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg haters-gonna-hate-panda.jpg (52.8 KB, 24 views)

"ride on #47, ride on"

on the internet you can be anyone you want, it's strange that so many people choose to be so stupid
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

February 24, 2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Student budgets are tight these days. Looking to say a dime or pick up a dime where ever I can.
Man Hollywood is dead on in this case. If you want a better deal on the o-rings PM me the bikes make model and year and I will get you a much lower price on them.
Unread
  (#10)
5 yrs till Brood X emerge

February 24, 2011, 11:41 AM

50, 70, 90 is likely the durometer ie the softness. 70 is a very typical durometer for your average oring in the avg material, application, temperature, fluid, etc. But there are different scales of durometer too. And w/o digging into it I can't advise you if that's it exactly. Orings are not quite as simple as they appear.

Look on the Parker website. More than you'll ever want to know about orings.

Also type "orings" into mcmaster-carr website. You will find some info there.
Unread
  (#11)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

February 24, 2011, 11:47 AM

Do you know the size or number of the o-ring you want to replace. I have hundreds of o-rings at my shop. PM me and let me know.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#12)
Licensed Rider

February 24, 2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morsetaper2 View Post
50, 70, 90 is likely the durometer ie the softness. 70 is a very typical durometer for your average oring in the avg material, application, temperature, fluid, etc. But there are different scales of durometer too. And w/o digging into it I can't advise you if that's it exactly. Orings are not quite as simple as they appear.

Look on the Parker website. More than you'll ever want to know about orings.

Also type "orings" into mcmaster-carr website. You will find some info there.
Interesting. I've looked high and low for what the 50, 70, and 90 are. Thanks for the explanation!! I know I need Buna-N o-rings, but who knows what the durometer would be from the factory which is something that isn't available. I completely agree with you on the different scales because when I try to determine the sizes, everyone seems to measure a little different.
Unread
  (#13)
Licensed Rider

February 24, 2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131 View Post
Do you know the size or number of the o-ring you want to replace. I have hundreds of o-rings at my shop. PM me and let me know.
I'll give you the size of the one that's in the dampener because it's not available through Honda at all. It'll be a little later tonight when I get in from work. Sounds like the best advice is to get what I can from Honda.
I'm putting in Gold Valves and the o-ring in the dampener is bad. Leaks around the needle valve that you screw in to control the rate of dampening. Being how the only way to get that from Honda is to buy a whole new dampening rod, I'll just go with the o-ring from some where else on this one.
Unread
  (#14)
5 yrs till Brood X emerge

February 24, 2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
I'll give you the size of the one that's in the dampener
You dampen somebody when you pee on them. Your shocks and forks are dampers. Dampers slow motion down via fluidic, elastomeric friction, and the like.

Round Orings are sized by their ID & cross section thickness. And there are also quad & squre orings...and a few others. I'm speaking only of round ones here.

Note that metric orings are sized.... in metric! In increments that make sense. Like a 12.0 x 2.2 oring will have a 12mm ID & a section thk of 2.2mm. And the OD would be a reference OD = 16.4mm

Imperial orings you will find commonly available are sized via an AS spec. The spec is AS568A. And the size will be indicated by a dash number that doesn't correspond with and sort of logical round number. They are merely incremental and are listed in increasing sz & section thickness. And the cross section thickness doesn't make a whole lotta sense either. For instance, a 1/16" cross section is .070, uhhh... 1/16 = .063 when I went to school.

Generally you will find Imperial orings in the hdwre store & auto parts store bins by their closest fractional dimensional approximation that won't be exact, but it will be kinda close.

Imperial measurement orings are going to be the ones you will find easily and cheaply. Not knowing what you need, & the qtys, you might be better served to suck it up and by the Honda parts. You can test the durometer and get right on or damn close to if you have something to compare too.

Anyway, like I said, there is more to it than you think. An excellent source of metric orings locally will be MD Metrics in Baltimore. You may have to buy a bag of orings to get the two you need. Plus the drive and/or shipping.

And Mcmaster-Carr is great. You pay w/ a CC, order before 7PM, and they'll be at your door the very next day. No shit. Mcmaster-Carr shipping rocks!.

Parker Oring Handbook, the oring "bible", 9MB download...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...ShW-Sg&cad=rja

McMaster-Carr website for abbreviatted info

Last edited by morsetaper2; February 25, 2011 at 07:19 AM..