DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 519
3 members and 516 guests
2blueyam, davidcycle, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
question about the chian/Sprocket
Unread
  (#1)
ZX6R

question about the chian/Sprocket - May 4, 2010, 06:10 PM

I tighten by my chain maybe 1000 miles ago. today i was gunning my 636 and on about the 3rd gear i hear a noise (i think from the chain). so i pulled over and checked my chain. Its very loose. last time i tighten it, it was on 3 1/2 line. today i extended it to 4th line.. i also checked my rear sprocket, tip of two of the teeth are broken.. not the whole thing just bit of the top teeth. bike got 23000 miles in it.

is it time to change sprockets and chain? or do you think there might be something else wrong too? because idk how the chain could get loose so quickly.

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime.

2014 ZX14R
2006 ZX636

www.MohawkRyderz.com

Last edited by ShroomDuck; May 4, 2010 at 06:12 PM..
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ShroomDuck Send a message via MSN to ShroomDuck  
Unread
  (#2)
Romper Stomper

May 4, 2010, 06:19 PM

Ya Id replace the chain and while your at it do the sprockets at the same time....there are sprockets you can buy now that are alluminum in the center and steel on the teeth for stregnth....when a chain gets old and has lost lubrication it will start to stretch and after time will stretch faster and faster.....
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Playing in traffic

May 4, 2010, 07:30 PM

Chains don't actually stretch, they get longer as the pins that hold them together wear. Modern chains have rubber O rings (X rings, etc.) that hold lubrication inside the links. When the O rings begin to go the chain will wear and stretch very quickly. 23,000 miles is a long life for a chain – time to change it.

Common wisdom is that you should replace sprockets when you replace a chain or the new chain will have a reduced life span. My own experience is that this isn't so, and sprockets don't need to be replaced until the teeth are obviously non-symmetrical – or when teeth are chipped or broken. May be time for sprockets, too.
Unread
  (#4)
Mojito Anyone?

May 4, 2010, 07:53 PM

what they said.. my bros 03 636 did the same thing a few weeks back and probably has close to about the same miles.. he got to my house and there were 0 teeth on the sprocket.. i don't know how he made it to my house..

time to change bruh.

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#5)
ZX6R

May 4, 2010, 09:19 PM

what would u guys recommend?? i dont want to change the ratio but i want something good that will last long. i want to change both sprockets and the chain

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime.

2014 ZX14R
2006 ZX636

www.MohawkRyderz.com

Last edited by ShroomDuck; May 4, 2010 at 09:28 PM..
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ShroomDuck Send a message via MSN to ShroomDuck  
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

May 5, 2010, 12:40 PM

Stock OEM chain and sprockets are fine for most riders. Replace both of course since your sprocket is broke. For a street bike with some beginner/intermediate track days OEM is fine unless there is something uniquely flaw with OEM to begin with. Last chain replacement I did cost me $100, OEM chain and did it myself. You want some piece of mind then change both if you can’t tell whether sprocket needs replacement.
I almost never change the sprockets on the first chain replacement. Second chain has always lasted as long as the first chain or longer. And that's me...he who does 30-40k a year most times. But I also religiously oil my chain and clean it though not as often as oiling unless needed.
You sure you aligned the wheel/sprocket straight the last time you adjusted the chain?
Misalignment could have caused the broken teeth or maybe caused by road debris.
You really don’t need a $200 chain and fancy smashy spockets unless you want to change ratios and/or have slightly better performance that will barely make a difference if you stick to stock gearing. Keep in mind your gas mileage will suffer on most bikes if you go with performance gearing. I could go about 40 miles further than the same bike as mine but the other bike had a 2 tooth difference on the sprocket. Result may vary depending on bikes.
Unread
  (#7)
ZX6R

May 6, 2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trireme View Post
Stock OEM chain and sprockets are fine for most riders. Replace both of course since your sprocket is broke. For a street bike with some beginner/intermediate track days OEM is fine unless there is something uniquely flaw with OEM to begin with. Last chain replacement I did cost me $100, OEM chain and did it myself. You want some piece of mind then change both if you canít tell whether sprocket needs replacement.
I almost never change the sprockets on the first chain replacement. Second chain has always lasted as long as the first chain or longer. And that's me...he who does 30-40k a year most times. But I also religiously oil my chain and clean it though not as often as oiling unless needed.
You sure you aligned the wheel/sprocket straight the last time you adjusted the chain?
Misalignment could have caused the broken teeth or maybe caused by road debris.
You really donít need a $200 chain and fancy smashy spockets unless you want to change ratios and/or have slightly better performance that will barely make a difference if you stick to stock gearing. Keep in mind your gas mileage will suffer on most bikes if you go with performance gearing. I could go about 40 miles further than the same bike as mine but the other bike had a 2 tooth difference on the sprocket. Result may vary depending on bikes.
i found a RK chain/sprocket kit... its 14-40teeth.. stock is 15-40. im not very concerned about the gas mileage but i heard changing ratio will cause speedometer to show different speed? if its by a little bit i dont care, but if its showing im going at 70mph while im actually going at 60mph i rather stay stock. i dont push my bike alot, but i would like a little bit better acceleration tho.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...eafCatId=41507

2014 ZX14R
2006 ZX636

www.MohawkRyderz.com

Last edited by ShroomDuck; May 6, 2010 at 09:33 AM..
Unread
  (#8)
Mohawk Ryderz Prez

May 6, 2010, 09:49 AM

is not going to be that far off. -1 front is like plus 2 on the rear. your rpm just a lil higher, stop asking so much man, either way replace what u got going on, wore sprocket.

www.MohawkRyderz.com
http://www.Facebook.com/MohawkRyderz
http://www.twitter.com/MohawkRyderz

2012 zx10r
2004 Cbr1000rr black - Sold
2006 R1 anniversary edition - Sold
2006 Gsxr 600 red/blk - Sold
2006 Gsxr 600 flat Green/Silver - Sold
2007 Gsxr 600 flat blk/pink - wifey's Sold
2004 Yamaha R1 Black Sold
2003 Hayabusa orange Sold
2006 zx6r blk mobile jukebox (contest winner-hater's bike)Sold