DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 565
3 members and 562 guests
2blueyam, GRN96WS6, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
R6 Wont Start
Unread
  (#1)
Yellow light phobia

R6 Wont Start - February 17, 2009, 09:25 PM

Yesterday I put my new exhaust on tried to start it and it turned over fine. I road it around the parking lot for a minute and then put the kickstand down while in first causing the bike to shut off. I got off, made sure everything was tight with the exhaust tried to start it again and it just made a clicking sound. I went out, bought a new battery (I needed it anyways) and it fired up just fine. Road it around again for about 5-7 minutes and turned it off. After that it just made the clicking sound again.
So I think it may be the starter relay or the rectifier? Am I right? Now my screen is dead, I have no numbers on it and the lights are really dim, on my dash and the headlights.
Did I mess something else up?
Any suggestions? I think I'll order a new rectifier and see what happens.

Thanks for the help.

Collin
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Lets Ride!!!

February 17, 2009, 09:37 PM

My neighbors Harley had a similar problem. I replaced his stator and all was good after that. Not sure if that helps, but it sounds like a charging system issue. Good luck.

Go Hokies!!!

2007 GSXR 750 Black/Midnight Blue - sold
Unread
  (#3)
TPG

February 17, 2009, 09:38 PM

did you charge the battery before you put it in?
Unread
  (#4)
Yellow light phobia

February 17, 2009, 09:39 PM

The battery is brand new. When I first put it in, it fired right up. Then I turned it off, and now it just ticks. With my old battery, I used to charge it for an hour and it would turn on fine. I'm at a loss of ideas.

Collin
Unread
  (#5)
TPG

February 17, 2009, 09:44 PM

get a multimeter and see if your battery has any power in it, a problem in the charging system won't affect a battery after just 5-7 minutes of riding
Unread
  (#6)
Yellow light phobia

February 17, 2009, 09:49 PM

Since my lights went dim, wouldn't it be something to do with the rectifier? That is what gives the power to everything electrical on the bike right? Or would there be something wrong in the charging system? Since if it fires right up off the charger, but then when it gets turned off it wont turn back on.

Collin
Unread
  (#7)
Lets Ride!!!

February 17, 2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrownw View Post
get a multimeter and see if your battery has any power in it, a problem in the charging system won't affect a battery after just 5-7 minutes of riding

Good point. Maybe after 30 min. or more....especially on a new battery. Good luck anyways.

Go Hokies!!!

2007 GSXR 750 Black/Midnight Blue - sold
Unread
  (#8)
TPG - screw face

February 17, 2009, 11:04 PM

been there...done that....get a new stator and R/R. i used to start my bike, go to the gas station in the neighborhood...get gas...dead battery. I can throw a rock to the gas station...kinda. A full charge used to last me about a day and half of regular riding.

my bike was doing that, even with a new battery. Had the stator and R/R replaced still got the same old battery...bike starts everytime now.

just my .02 g/l

Last edited by Oneway; February 17, 2009 at 11:08 PM..
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

February 17, 2009, 11:08 PM

The stator provides the power for charging the battery but first the regulator / rectifier turns the AC voltage to DC voltage and keeps the voltage roughly under 15.5 volts at the peak output. You need to hook up a multimeter set in the DC volts setting to the battery and read the voltage ( should be around 12.6 with key off ) then start the bike and watch the meter. It should read 13+ volts at idle with a good charged battery and rise when the rpms rise.
Unread
  (#10)
Eddie would go ...

February 18, 2009, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myblue750 View Post
Good point. Maybe after 30 min. or more....especially on a new battery. Good luck anyways.

R6 with lights on won't last more than 8 minutes without charging activity...just ask Kaneda about the music video shoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
Unread
  (#11)
TPG - screw face

February 18, 2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLEVEL View Post
The stator provides the power for charging the battery but first the regulator / rectifier turns the AC voltage to DC voltage and keeps the voltage roughly under 15.5 volts at the peak output. You need to hook up a multimeter set in the DC volts setting to the battery and read the voltage ( should be around 12.6 with key off ) then start the bike and watch the meter. It should read 13+ volts at idle with a good charged battery and rise when the rpms rise.
would that rise promote brighter lights and dash lights? I don't consider it a problem worth worrying about, but as I roll on the throttle - my speedo light goes from pitch black..and gets brighter (obviously only visible at night)..then back to dark again when i slow down/stop. my headlights get a tad brighter as well...but obviously don't go out, nor get dim or go off as I come to a stop lol (that would suck). I ask because I've heard/experienced lights getting dimmer to a certain point as you get on the throttle...but brighter?

stats on my bike: brand new wiring harness, brand new stator, brand new r/r

sorry for the T-jack
Unread
  (#12)
Street Bonk Bum.....

February 18, 2009, 09:47 AM

you could always call one of the local shops and get thier advice.....

CCS AM # 204
Unread
  (#13)
TPG

February 18, 2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneway View Post
would that rise promote brighter lights and dash lights? I don't consider it a problem worth worrying about, but as I roll on the throttle - my speedo light goes from pitch black..and gets brighter (obviously only visible at night)..then back to dark again when i slow down/stop. my headlights get a tad brighter as well...but obviously don't go out, nor get dim or go off as I come to a stop lol (that would suck). I ask because I've heard/experienced lights getting dimmer to a certain point as you get on the throttle...but brighter?

stats on my bike: brand new wiring harness, brand new stator, brand new r/r

sorry for the T-jack
this has already been explained to you
Unread
  (#14)
TPG - screw face

February 18, 2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrownw View Post
this has already been explained to you
i forgot
Unread
  (#15)
Has an idiot exemption

February 18, 2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLEVEL View Post
Excellent advice.
I suspect your ned battery wasn't fully charged and the act of starting the bike and riding a low RPM's for a short period used the limited voltage it had. Recharge it fully (and slowly) and try the above test.
You should be able to disconnect the neg battery cable while it is running and it should still run if the charging system is working correctly.
It doesn't work that way on Harley's though. If you disconnect the batt on a Harley while it's running it will stop.

Steve

2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2008 Honda CRF 450R
www.cornerspeed.net