DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 370
4 members and 366 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy, Nobrains, Scot, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
The rain killed my bike
Unread
  (#1)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

The rain killed my bike - October 6, 2010, 04:56 PM

99 SV650

So I left my bike uncovered during the drenching last week.Ran like new before and runs like crap after. My first thought was electrical as the wiring harness has been hacked to pieces before I bought it. I did some basic electrical tests to check for spark,rectifier,stator,and battery.All checked out. Used the Google to search for similar issues.Sounded like water in gas.Checked the gas cap gasket and it's probably from 99 as it's cracked.So I drained the gas...that sucked balls.

Put new gas in and let it idle for several minutes.Finally got it to idle normal with the choke off but if I twisted the throttle quickly it would cut off if I didn't let off.Was also backfiring.

Now here's the kicker...I noticed that if I moved the bike side to side the RPMs would slow down and then go back to normal when I kept the bike stable.There are 3 gallons in the tank so it's not a low fuel issue.

I drained the gas but didn't pull the carbs off.I think I read something about draining the floats.The whole moving the bike side to side and affecting the RPMs with an almost full tank has me scratching my head.

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, itís like thisÖA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Elite Racing

October 6, 2010, 05:20 PM

I'm no expert on SV's, but it sounds like the carbs need a good cleaning.

Someone else should be in shortly to elaborate on my thought.

Chris
Elite Racing
CCS AM #458

Godspeed Bam Bam

VFR Matt: gotta be a winner at something. Cant reach for the stars mind well be king of suck
tecknojoe: we could get together at my house and mount my trailor
vonstallin: whack one off 4 me henrey
thefitzvh: I'm the assholist asshole that ever assholed
Unread
  (#3)

October 6, 2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle228 View Post
I'm no expert on SV's, but it sounds like the carbs need a good cleaning.

Someone else should be in shortly to elaborate on my thought.
What I didn't want to hear.Do you think I could just turn the drain screws on the floats and any water would just drain out and double rainbows would appear on the pavement?

Seriously,I figured it was a carb cleaning.I live in an apartment in the middle of Old Town and I get yelled at for working on my bike.Thank god nobody was around to see me pouring gas from my tank into a gas can yesterday.Half of it was on the ground.

Anyone wanna make a few extra bucks to clean them for me?

Well you see, Norm, itís like thisÖA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Unread
  (#4)
Ballaugh Bridge

October 6, 2010, 05:50 PM

Make sure there isn't any water in the valve cover holes where the spark plugs are.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#5)
GDMFSOB

October 6, 2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMotorcycleGuy View Post
Make sure there isn't any water in the valve cover holes where the spark plugs are.
That was my 1st thought. If any water got down past the boot, it will short out the plug. If I am not mistaken, I think the SV is famous for this when riding in the rain.

#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.
Unread
  (#6)
GP Racer

October 6, 2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
this, the GF's 02 hates the rain, takes a while to warm it up enough to get rid of the water and ride correctly. SV's have an issue in the rain.
Unread
  (#7)

October 6, 2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks.Will check that tomorrow! Anything that will put off pulling apart my carbs.

Is there a solution to this? May as well knock it out while I'm fiddling with them.

Last edited by C2H5OH; October 6, 2010 at 06:27 PM..
Unread
  (#8)
Playing in traffic

October 6, 2010, 06:40 PM

There is a small hole on the right side of the front cylinder at the bottom of the head that drains the spark plug well. This hole is probably full of dirt and the spark plug well won't drain, which is almost always why an SV has problems with water. The solution is to drill the dirt out of the hole; it will be baked hard as a brick. Then clean all of the muck out of the spark plug well using compressed air and a rag on a thin screwdriver, then remove the plug and clean it and the spark plug well again. Then reassemble. The drain hole leads to the bottom of the spark plug nut, above the threads, so you don't need to worry much about damaging the head while cleaning out the drain hole.
Unread
  (#9)

October 6, 2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer View Post
There is a small hole on the right side of the front cylinder at the bottom of the head that drains the spark plug well. This hole is probably full of dirt and the spark plug well won't drain, which is almost always why an SV has problems with water. The solution is to drill the dirt out of the hole; it will be baked hard as a brick. Then clean all of the muck out of the spark plug well using compressed air and a rag on a thin screwdriver, then remove the plug and clean it and the spark plug well again. Then reassemble. The drain hole leads to the bottom of the spark plug nut, above the threads, so you don't need to worry much about damaging the head while cleaning out the drain hole.
God bless the internet.I've discovered 10 different things to look at that I never would have thought of!

Unread
  (#10)
T.R.I.T.D.H

October 7, 2010, 10:26 AM

Sounds pretty much covered by everyone else

....I was riding home from MIR in the rain last Sunday. I was drenched and my GSXR and HAYBUSA buddies all want to by my bike a rain coat.

My SV is currently sitting in the garage waiting on me to put the spark plug back in the front "jug" (haha). I intended to get it back in on Monday after letting it dry out over night on Sunday when I pulled it, but things got in my way...

Anyways when you dry out the boot and replaced the plug put dielectric grease on the porcelan part of the plug and the boot to create a seal...The bike was only running on one cylinder...it's happen to me plenty in the heavy rain...I've just never been to the point to where I couldn't ride it home and had it put inthe truck to get home from MD.

What do you value more? Life or Image?

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
Unread
  (#11)
T.R.I.T.D.H

October 7, 2010, 10:27 AM

Also there are PLENTY threads on SV rider....you said you googled it but I guess being fair you didn't know exactly WHAT to google...also pleanty of fixes on this but I never really set out in heavy rain for this reason...if I'm in the rain oh well I'll deal with it...but it was POURING ON US sunday night it was around 8PM.

What do you value more? Life or Image?

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
Unread
  (#12)
TPG og

October 7, 2010, 10:34 AM

Recheck the wiring for anywhere water could've gotten in and reseal with heatshrink.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Re: The rain killed my bike
Unread
  (#13)
Derpetologist

Re: The rain killed my bike - October 15, 2010, 11:54 AM

All SV's prior to '07 have a wet front spark plug boot after being in the rain. It's real easy to fix and prevent too.

Google "my sv hates water" and the first result should be a good thread on sv rider

*Not intended to be a factual statement.
Unread
  (#14)
GP Racer

November 10, 2010, 01:15 AM

I GUESS I WASNT THE ONLY ONE WITH THE SAME THING WRONG BUT MINE IS A 2005 R6 IS HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM

08- 99 cbr f4---sold
08-05 r6 --- sold
08-03 streetfighter cbr rr crash need parts
super pucket bike x19
11- 06 zx6r 636