DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 511
3 members and 508 guests
GRN96WS6, legendindisguise, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Ran out of gas - Fuel injected
Unread
  (#1)
Now with a TBSP of love

Ran out of gas - Fuel injected - August 26, 2007, 08:15 PM

So, I ran out of gas, refueled (and crossed fingers) hoping it would prime up and start with no problem, but it didn't. I've gone through the threads to see if anyone else managed to do the same, but apparently no one is as as me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. it's an sv650, if that helps.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Spiritnblk  
Unread
  (#2)
B
It goes to 11.

August 26, 2007, 08:19 PM

Take this as I probably have no CLUE what I'm saying but what I've done to try to "fix" no fuel is turn the bike on and off a couple of times and let the fuel pump prime... starts with no problem. Don't crank over an empty bike or you just get a headache.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#3)
Now with a TBSP of love

August 26, 2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixrB
Take this as I probably have no CLUE what I'm saying but what I've done to try to "fix" no fuel is turn the bike on and off a couple of times and let the fuel pump prime... starts with no problem. Don't crank over an empty bike or you just get a headache.
tried it, but thanks
Unread
  (#4)
singin sweet home alabama

August 26, 2007, 09:29 PM

odd - I've run out of gas a couple times and never had a problem starting up again.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#5)
Nothing here

August 27, 2007, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8
odd - I've run out of gas a couple times and never had a problem starting up again.
"They" tell you that it can cause problems for FI if you run out of gas and may be difficult to prime, but I think what is more common is that the OP probably sucked some bottom of the tank crud through and possibly clogged the injectors.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
Meh

August 27, 2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madali
"They" tell you that it can cause problems for FI if you run out of gas and may be difficult to prime, but I think what is more common is that the OP probably sucked some bottom of the tank crud through and possibly clogged the injectors.
Unlikely because fuel pumps are screened or socked at the bottom to prevent just such an occurance. Also, most of the junk in the bottom of a tank is typically small enough to pass through most older injectors and it is unlikely that he clogged both or that it would prevent the bike from running entirely.

First, establish whether or not you have fuel pressure in the line and that the pump is operating. Once you figure that out that will determine your next step.
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

August 27, 2007, 12:43 PM

having never run out of gas with a fuel injected bike or car, Ben's disclaimer applies here as well. I was told once by a good friend of mine that's a Jeep tech that if i were to run out of gas in my old Cherokee, it would fry the fuel pump. I wonder if that applies here...

2001 GSXR 1000 (The bike that lit the afterburner on the liter class world)
2012 Monster 1100 Evo
2003 Yamaha YZFR6 (track only)

mmm... carbon fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by No One Ever
Awesome Prius!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to skwidrific Send a message via AIM to skwidrific  
Unread
  (#8)
Playing in traffic

August 27, 2007, 01:05 PM

I have run out of gas with my '03 SV650 and had no problem restarting. I knew what the problem was, though, and didn't try to start it on empty. Running the fuel pump empty may have blown its fuse, which can be checked by simply listening for the pump with the transmission in neutral, the clutch in, and the key on. If you don't hear it humming away you probably have a blown 10A fuse -- number 3 in the fuse box.
Unread
  (#9)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

August 27, 2007, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwidrific
having never run out of gas with a fuel injected bike or car, Ben's disclaimer applies here as well. I was told once by a good friend of mine that's a Jeep tech that if i were to run out of gas in my old Cherokee, it would fry the fuel pump. I wonder if that applies here...
Hey don't you know someone at a dealer with a service dept you could ask?

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

August 27, 2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131
Hey don't you know someone at a dealer with a service dept you could ask?
wow... that required getting up, walking a few hundred feet, and asking someone... damn dodge!

one of three possibilites:

a) blown fuse, just like geezer said

b) fried fuel pump

c) clogged fuel pump from sucking up any crud that maye have been on the bottem of the tank

2001 GSXR 1000 (The bike that lit the afterburner on the liter class world)
2012 Monster 1100 Evo
2003 Yamaha YZFR6 (track only)

mmm... carbon fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by No One Ever
Awesome Prius!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to skwidrific Send a message via AIM to skwidrific  
Unread
  (#11)
Now with a TBSP of love

August 27, 2007, 08:31 PM

I got it started! After reading some stuff, brainstorming with others and watching this thread (thanks guys!) I decided to try push starting it, causing some kinda combustion. So, after 5 climbs up the hill I heard a new noise . sooooooooooooo I hit the ignition and one of the most beautiful sounds I've ever heard erupted beneath me.

Thanks guys and hopefully this thread will help someone else in the future

By the way.. One thing I did and now know not to do; I did try to start it back up when it first died. I'm guessing that's what screwed me in the first place.