DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 530
1 members and 529 guests
beatle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
RC51 Suspension upgrades
Unread
  (#1)
Got my Permit

RC51 Suspension upgrades - March 14, 2013, 09:56 PM

Hello,

I'm getting my new to me 2003 RC51 tweaked to my liking and am ready to do the suspension before I do some track days. I've done one TD way back when on my 929RR and have been riding bikes all my life.

I am a big guy - 6'4" 285lbs. So I know I at least need replace the springs. I have been getting information from some of my friends (some on here) but would like to get any other advise before I spend money one way or the other.

It looks like I would be better off biting the bullet and just buying a new rear shock instead of trying to respring/valve the stock one (if that is even possible). I'm looking at 3 options:

Ohlins HO204 from Kyle racing for $945

Penske 8993 $825

JRI double adjustable $985

All sprung for my weight at the prices shown.

Forks I am thinking just springs and a valve job. I haven't priced this as I'm not sure what my best options are.

I plan on doing several track days a year on this bike as well as ride on the street. Thanks for any and all feedback.

CKB

'03 RC51
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
On vacation

March 14, 2013, 10:11 PM

PM Redlevel, he can get you set up with anything you need. Then post his response on here so us noobs can learn a thing or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My wife wants to get LASIK or a boob job

She asked my opinion

I told her I have no vested interest in making her eyesight better
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.
Unread
  (#3)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

March 14, 2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RileysDad View Post
PM Redlevel, he can get you set up with anything you need. Then post his response on here so us noobs can learn a thing or two.
+1

Redlevel is full of great advice, and he even answered questions for me and drt_jumper when we were in the middle of installing my racetech shit on my V-Strom

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

March 14, 2013, 11:23 PM

Be honest with yourself. If you're just going to do track days and don't have any plans on following a racing path I would just get the race tech valves and do a re-valve and spring on your stock shock and forks. The stock stuff with race tech internals will be awesome compared to stock and probably more than you will ever need or outride. I know the RC pretty well and the forks have a super long top out spring which SUCKS so I would replace that as well so your pre=load adjusters for your forks would actually do something.

You could get all the racetech goodies plus springs, seals, bushings, and oil for what you would pay for the ohlins shock alone. Then you will just pay labor to have it all installed $300-$400 depending on if you bring the complete bike or just the suspension and you'll be riding on some very capable stuff.

Of course I wouldn't blame you if you went the after-market shock route as they are all really nice and adjustable units and if money is no issue I say GO FOR IT! But if you are not running advance group times and just want to enjoy some TDs and street riding I highly recommend the racetech stuff in the shock and forks. Let me know and I can get you an exact quote OTD.