DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 534
1 members and 533 guests
davidcycle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rear brake problem
Unread
  (#1)
V-Twin Extreme Power

Rear brake problem - March 24, 2008, 10:19 AM

I don't have a sportbike but I thought I would throw this out anyway. My foot pedal for the rear brake all of a sudden got real stiff. I can barely press it down at all and even when it moves what little bit it does it isn't enough to engage it and I have to pull it back up after that. There is plenty of fluid in the reservoir. I bought the bike used so I am not sure when the last time the rear pads were replaced or the conditions of the pistons in the caliper. Before I start taking stuff apart I wanted to know if this sounded like anything specific. This is for a Honda VTX.

Thanks in advance,
M.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Derpentine Dealer

March 24, 2008, 12:26 PM

Sounds like either your linkage or your master cylinder has seized, and I'd start by addressing the former. Spray some WD-40 where the lever hinges/pivots/rotates. Then work the lever up and down with your hand. If it's still stiff, detache the linkage from the master cylinder and check to see if the lever then moves about its hinge freely. If it does, then the problem is in the cylinder. At that point you have to tear it down or replace it.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#3)
Officially Addicted to Posting

March 24, 2008, 12:31 PM

+1

Good advice.

I'm betting it's the seal.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#4)
whats in your drink?

Location: Mineral VA. If you know where it is you can pass go
March 24, 2008, 12:39 PM

Which VTX? There is one modle with a drum rear. If it has a rear disk it sounds like a frozen rear caliper

Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!
X
Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us.
Unread
  (#5)
Derpentine Dealer

March 24, 2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGULA
Which VTX? There is one modle with a drum rear. If it has a rear disk it sounds like a frozen rear caliper
He wouldn't need to pull the lever back up though, if this were the case. The MC should just refill as the lever springs back. Having to pull the lever back up into the normal position suggests sticking at or near the lever.

Dude, do you know if your rear brake is dragging? Find out by putting the bike up on it's center stand, if it has one, or on a rear stand. Then give the rear wheel a turn by hand.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#6)
V-Twin Extreme Power

March 24, 2008, 02:05 PM

Testing to see if the tire spins on its own is the answer I keep getting and unfortunately is the hardest to do since I don't own a stand. If the mc is the problem wouldn't the pedal be spongy and not stiff? Yes the rear brake is a disc.
Unread
  (#7)
Derpentine Dealer

March 24, 2008, 02:57 PM

The most common MC problem on cages is a blown plunger. You will know this when you apply the brakes and they just sink or fade as the fluid leaks through the plunger. However, the MC has to be very old for this to occur. Otherwise, it's quite rare. I'm guessing it's something to do with your lever and besides, that's the simplest to start investigating. Start with the easiest and move on from there.

Another way to find out if your caliper has a problem is to just remove the anchor bolts and see if it is pinched onto the disc. If it is, that might be the problem right there. If not, slide it off the disk and see if you can spread the pads. Push the pads outward and away from each other and open up the caliper by levering a standard screwdriver between the two. Be gentle--you don't want to divit your pads. Healthy pistons will be firm but will give with pressure. If Dragula is right, then you won't be able to spread the pads.

Unread
  (#8)
V-Twin Extreme Power

March 24, 2008, 07:49 PM

After taking the whole forward control apart and reassembling a couple times, which was a big pain in the ass, and still wasn't able to get the break to work I finally found the tiny plug that hides the bolt to the brake lever at its pivot point. Once I pulled the break lever off and cleaned it the break magically worked again. I don't even have to use my toe to pull it back. Thanks for the help.
Unread
  (#9)
Derpentine Dealer

March 25, 2008, 05:33 AM

"All's well that ends well", my mother was fond of saying. Glad you got it working again.