DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 523
2 members and 521 guests
beatle, Leoallafila
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rear Brake - SS Line + Bleeding question
Unread
  (#1)
Got Guinness?

Premier Member since: May 22, 2009
Rear Brake - SS Line + Bleeding question - May 11, 2009, 03:36 PM

I have a few questions in regards to an install of some SS Lines and a recent brake bleeding I did for the R6

I flushed my brake lines {rear only - not wanting to mess with my front brakes until I am confident I can bleed the brakes properly 100%}, installed my Galfer SS lines and then obviously put in more brake fluid.

So, after my many attempts at trying to make sure I had no air in my lines:

pump rear brake
open bleeder close bleeder valve

rinse and repeat

I was out riding and notice that on the banjo bolt on the MC, it appears to be leaking some brake fluid but ONLY when I place pressure on my rear brake pedal. I do have pressure and the brake does NOT feel spongey.

After I initially got done with the installation and felt everything was ok, I left it overnight and saw no fluid or any reduction in what was in the reservoir. So out riding this morning for work and noticed I was leaking fluid out of the banjo bolt but only after I pressed the pedal. Notice - after my install I did not notice any fluids when I would press on the rear brake pedal.

So question for you tech guru's:

Is this possibly maybe because I might have overfilled my reservoir?

Do I need to re-bleed my lines? {guessing yes}

If so - should I start at the banjo bolt on the MC? Process for doing so?

I know I need to loosen the bolt etc., but looking for a different explanation for the procedure. Read alot of procedures on the net and followed them, but obviously I failed somewhere in reading comprehension.

I have a vacumm pump {but damn thing broke.. dont ask how} so I am doing this w/o a vacumm pump.

Also my idiot self also noticed I did not use the 3rd washer for each of my lines {Galfer sent three per banjo bolt and literally just a few seconds ago I noticed i did not use the 3rd for each bolt - so yes obviously I will be using them now.

Question on the washers then - I took a look and I placed one washer on top and one below the banjo - so since they sent three - where is the third recommended to be placed? Top or bottom?

Going to assume that this is the reason for my small leak now but asking for some advice on brake bleeding as it is.

}

Thanks in advance and sorry for my horrific thread creation skills and grammar
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Owner & Creator

May 11, 2009, 03:42 PM

You might of over tighten the bleeder.
Unread
  (#3)
Got Guinness?

May 11, 2009, 03:51 PM

thanks Carnage going to go check now and see if that stops it
Unread
  (#4)
Nubbs ban yourself!

May 11, 2009, 04:09 PM

Washers.
Many times companies will send more by mistake, not saying this is the case.
On the front stop is usually 1 line from master cylinder down to a splitter and then from there 1 line to each caliper.
Many when they go to aftermarket SS do 2 lines straight from the Master Cylinder to each side. When they do this they will also send a longer banjo bolt. The 3 washers will be for this. 1 against the MC, 1 in the middle of each SS line, 1 on the outside at the head of the banjo bolt.
On a rear brake line I can't see any reason there would be 3 washers except to say they sent too many.

When you bleed the brakes, pump the lever and hold it down.
Turn the bleeder just a bit until a small amount of fluid or air comes out and quickly tighten slightly. Pump it some more and hold it down and repeat.
I have bleed brakes several times on different days until I was completely happy with the way they felt. Sometimes i will even tye the lever down, keep the resevoir open so air can escape and leave it overnight. Air goes to the top easier then being forced down. That is why some will actually bleed the brakes in the direction of the MC, not the other way but I have never done it that way.

It should definitely not be leaking from the bleeder and if so it is probably from over tightening. Replace the washers if so.

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
Unread
  (#5)
Derpentine Dealer

May 11, 2009, 04:28 PM

Did you put new crush washers in with the banjo? You need new washers between the bolt head and the banjo and between the banjo and the MC. Same on the caliper end.

I am guessing there is no bleeder on the rear MC of your bike so maybe you have a problem with a crush washer(s) or you jacked up the banjo bolt or fitting by over tightening or not tightening enough.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#6)
GDMFSOB

May 11, 2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8footasian View Post
I was out riding and notice that on the banjo bolt on the MC, it appears to be leaking some brake fluid but ONLY when I place pressure on my rear brake pedal. I do have pressure and the brake does NOT feel spongey.

After I initially got done with the installation and felt everything was ok, I left it overnight and saw no fluid or any reduction in what was in the reservoir. So out riding this morning for work and noticed I was leaking fluid out of the banjo bolt but only after I pressed the pedal. Notice - after my install I did not notice any fluids when I would press on the rear brake pedal.
The reservoir never has any pressure in it. The pressure is built between the piston (where your lever connects) and the caliper. There is only pressure in the system when you press on the lever which is why overnight you had no leakage. Spongey feeling usually occcours when there is air or moisture in the system. You have a leak.

Quote:
Is this possibly maybe because I might have overfilled my reservoir?
No.

Quote:
Do I need to re-bleed my lines? {guessing yes}
Yup

Quote:
Question on the washers then - I took a look and I placed one washer on top and one below the banjo - so since they sent three - where is the third recommended to be placed? Top or bottom?
NEVER double up on washers (2 of them together). You have it right, you have an extra one. That's good, because you may need to start over and you'll only need 1 more.

Quote:
If so - should I start at the banjo bolt on the MC? Process for doing so?
My advice is to use a torque wrench and go to the proper 11-14 lb-feet, or as spec'd in the manual. If you overtighten, you can strip the aluminum MC. If you do not go tight enough, it leaks. Inside your brake system pressure can reach 1200 psi under a good stopm. Chances are, you did not tighten the banjo enough so if you're feeling squirrelly give it a snug with out the torque wrench. DO NOT LOOSEN AND RETIGHTEN WITHOUT REPLACING THE WASHERS!!!! Never reuse them.
I'd do that and check for leaks first. Then bleed if you are straight. To bleed, you sound like you have it right. Pump....crack the bleeder screw and tighten it BEFORE your pedal bottoms out. Repeat and keep the reservoir full.
BTW, don't leave your reservoir open overnight. Or anymore than you need to. The fluid is very hygroscopic (void of moisture) and will suck moisture out of the air like a whore lookin for a dollar. Moisture in there will boil off under heavy braking and give you no stoppie- stoppie. PM me if you need help.

#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.
Unread
  (#7)
Got Guinness?

May 11, 2009, 08:18 PM

Thanks guys!

Going to re-bleed tomorrow and replace my washers. I need to look up the torque specs however - unless someone knows off hand

'09 R6S - equivalent to '03-'5 R6

thanks
Unread
  (#8)
Nubbs ban yourself!

May 11, 2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post

BTW, don't leave your reservoir open overnight. Or anymore than you need to. The fluid is very hygroscopic (void of moisture) and will suck moisture out of the air like a whore lookin for a dollar. Moisture in there will boil off under heavy braking and give you no stoppie- stoppie. PM me if you need help.
Very good point about moisture but when I did it this was on a very dry day and done because every other method was failing. In the end I learned that the particular bike I was bleeding was simply famous for being difficult.
My point of saying this method was to point out that sometimes bleeding can be a real pain. I can bleed a car brake system in a matter of minutes but every bike I have done has been a venture in patience.

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
Unread
  (#9)
GDMFSOB

May 11, 2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2sport View Post
I can bleed a car brake system in a matter of minutes but every bike I have done has been a venture in patience.
Some days, anything to do with a bike is a venture in patience

#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.