DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 553
1 members and 552 guests
beatle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
rear tire alignment after adjusting chain
Unread
  (#1)
GP Racer

rear tire alignment after adjusting chain - May 21, 2009, 01:09 PM

Quick question - my R6 has vertical lines along each side of the swingarm to help ensure that the rear wheel is straight after you've tightened/adjusted the chain.

My question is this - how accurate are those lines on the swingarm? I did the check where you run wooden boards along each side of the rear tire to see if it is straight (in comparison to the front wheel). When I got everything straight/lined up, I'm showing 2.5 lines on the left side and about 2.3 lines on the right.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Nothing here

May 21, 2009, 01:11 PM

String taped to the undertail and run down each side will show true alignment on the cheap. Also, if you did it yourself, make sure you didn't over tighten your chain or it will bind your suspension.
Unread
  (#3)
opossum puncher

May 21, 2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctex View Post
Quick question - my R6 has vertical lines along each side of the swingarm to help ensure that the rear wheel is straight after you've tightened/adjusted the chain.

My question is this - how accurate are those lines on the swingarm? I did the check where you run wooden boards along each side of the rear tire to see if it is straight (in comparison to the front wheel). When I got everything straight/lined up, I'm showing 2.5 lines on the left side and about 2.3 lines on the right.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
The marks are often not very accurate. String.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Racer

May 21, 2009, 01:53 PM

Wait, so how do I run the string? I initially did the string check by taping it to the rear tire and then ran the string from the tire along both sides of the bike to the front tire. I went to using boards because I thought that they were more accurate.

How does it work if I tape string to the undertail? I'm an English major, so bear with me...

I double-checked the tightness/looseness of the chain according to the service manual. Thanks, Madali.
Unread
  (#5)
Nothing here

May 21, 2009, 02:06 PM

This may be the easiest and most accurate way. The undertail suggestion is quick and dirty and not very accurate, but still better than the guide marks you're using now.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4584111_chec...alignment.html
Unread
  (#6)
T.R.I.T.D.H

May 21, 2009, 02:37 PM

Wait I really don't understand why people don't trust those lines?

I mean hell the bike you're riding is probably one of the finest pieces engineered precision and technology and you're concered that the factory couldn't get tick marks in proper spacing to reflect correct chain/rear wheel alignment?

Geez...not much faith huh?

(sidenote: anybody know if the wear and tear on your chain can cause the alignment to go out of whack? i.e. your chain is old and stretched. You have to adjust the chain every other ride therefore having to use diffrent notches on your swingarm than you typically use with a newer chain. )

What do you value more? Life or Image?

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
Unread
  (#7)
Nothing here

May 21, 2009, 02:43 PM

It's on an axis. It doesn't just get aligned front and back. Loosen the nut and wiggle the wheel. You can move it in many different directions, any of which will cause issues. Those marks only account for two points of measurement.
Unread
  (#8)
Say Jur Oh

May 21, 2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkofDC View Post
Wait I really don't understand why people don't trust those lines?

I mean hell the bike you're riding is probably one of the finest pieces engineered precision and technology and you're concered that the factory couldn't get tick marks in proper spacing to reflect correct chain/rear wheel alignment?

Geez...not much faith huh?

(sidenote: anybody know if the wear and tear on your chain can cause the alignment to go out of whack? i.e. your chain is old and stretched. You have to adjust the chain every other ride therefore having to use diffrent notches on your swingarm than you typically use with a newer chain. )
I don't know why. If you really wanted to verify the lines though you can measure from the swingarm pivot to the lines on each side to see if they are the same.

No, wear on your chain will not cause an alignment problem. It doesn't matter which notches or means to measure you use. As long as something on the bike isn't bent, and the rear axle is adjusted equally on both sides, your alignment is fine.

The reason I don't use or recommend other funky methods, such as a strings and boards and stuff, is because now your referencing all sorts of other parts on the bike, any of which could be out of whack. If your point of reference is out of wack, your final measurements are going to be out of whack too but you won't know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'm not saying this site has a bunch of gay dudes on it but a few of you definitely lack a bumpstop on the sexuality gate.
Quote:
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!

Greg "BamBam" Walker
September 11th 2009
You are missed
Godspeed
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Seijirou  
Unread
  (#9)
TPG - screw face

May 21, 2009, 03:09 PM

that's what i was thinkin...cuz my undertail is beat to shit and crooked as hell...guess that only works on newer bikes
Unread
  (#10)
a.k.a. Batman?

May 21, 2009, 03:13 PM

eye ball it then do a wheelie. let go of the bars and see which way you fall..

No really..use the marks it fine... if its off you'll feel it..

Last edited by Madman; May 21, 2009 at 03:17 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Madman  
Unread
  (#11)
AMA Superbike Champ

May 21, 2009, 11:59 PM

i had the motion pro alignment tool for my old bike, i loved it. now i got a SSS so i dont have to worry about that crap anymore
Unread
  (#12)
GP Racer

May 22, 2009, 09:12 AM

Thanks for the replies, folks.

I'm going with the string test that I did (over using the swingarm markers). Here's what Sport Rider magazine had to say:

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0...son/index.html

"Although your bike's rear wheel may seem to be in-line-according to the stamped lines on the swingarm or adjusters-the factory markings are notoriously inaccurate. For years, savvy (and thrifty) riders have used the 'string method' of verifying that their wheels are aligned correctly."
Unread
  (#13)
Derpentine Dealer

May 22, 2009, 12:36 PM

What if your undertail is not callibrated correctly?

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#14)
TPG - screw face

May 22, 2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
What if your undertail is not callibrated correctly?
then u have a deviated rectum...waka waka waka
Unread
  (#15)
Say Jur Oh

May 22, 2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying this site has a bunch of gay dudes on it but a few of you definitely lack a bumpstop on the sexuality gate.
Quote:
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!

Greg "BamBam" Walker
September 11th 2009
You are missed
Godspeed
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Seijirou