DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 496
3 members and 493 guests
GRN96WS6, legendindisguise, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rebuilding forks
Unread
  (#1)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

Rebuilding forks - December 19, 2007, 06:27 AM

Decided on getting on with my F2 streetfighter project.The forks are kinda squishy.Is this just a fluid change or is there more to it.Im not familiar with the inner workings.I havent messed with them yet because Im scared a spring will pop out and get stuck in my forehead.

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, itís like thisÖA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

December 19, 2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H5OH
Decided on getting on with my F2 streetfighter project.The forks are kinda squishy.Is this just a fluid change or is there more to it.Im not familiar with the inner workings.I havent messed with them yet because Im scared a spring will pop out and get stuck in my forehead.
Take forks off the bike and put them in a soft jaw vise. Clamp on the lower part and use you upper tripple to clamp on the tube while you unbolt the top adjuster. Yes there will be a spring but will not come shooting out. You should change the fork seals while you are doing it. This does take special tools to do. If you need help PM me and we can talk.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#3)
Has an idiot exemption

December 19, 2007, 08:24 AM

Yep, stiffer springs and a little thicker fork oil will do wonders.
If you remove the forks yourself and take it to a shop it's not too expensive.
Have them put new seals in while you are at it.

Steve

2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2008 Honda CRF 450R
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#4)
Life Begins at 150

December 19, 2007, 09:07 AM

If you have the right tools and level of experience, You should be able to take care of it. if you are doing it at home, be sure to loosen the fork top before you remove the forks from the bike, as you probably do not have the jig to clamp a vise on the fork tube without damaging it. i would recomend the correct front spring, with better oil and use thicker oil if you are trying to do this cheap, or a valve kit if you want to make it as good as you can.
any shop can do it for about 2 hours labor if you brinng in the tubes, 2.5 hours
(we can get this done the day you drop it off)

RnR Cycles
45700 Woodland Rd, #160
Sterling VA 20166
703-433-9195
571-277-0892
www.RnRCycles.com
Unread
  (#5)
Derpentine Dealer

December 19, 2007, 09:30 AM

Look to the Race Tech springs, and definitely do the seals/replaceables while you're at it. I went with 0.95 kg/mm rate for my 195 lbs. If I could do it over again, I'd go down one step in stifness--this is a bike I mainly commute on though. Talk to Dodge before opting for the RT Gold Valves as he has mentioned they're pretty stiff. The shop that did the spring swap and seals in my bandit tubes (off the bike) hit me for 3 hours labor. I opted for the shop because I didn't want to screw something up. People told me that if you get any grit inside, you can screw things up.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.