DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 506
2 members and 504 guests
beatle, Leoallafila
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Replace dust seals with fork seals??
Unread
  (#1)
All about the U

Replace dust seals with fork seals?? - March 13, 2009, 08:54 AM

Blew the fork seal and need to change them out.. Should I replace anything else? Dust seals, etc?

Going to change out to the ohlins fork fluid also....

06 gsxr 1000

-Mossburg
"Dont make excuses, Make adjustments"

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

March 13, 2009, 10:33 AM

You need to tear them down and inspect the fork tube bushings for wear and for the price of the dust seals you might as well replace them.
Unread
  (#3)
Nubbs ban yourself!

March 13, 2009, 10:45 AM

Just a guess here but did you blow them out doing wheelies?
If so nothing is probably worn due to time.
Since you are going to have them down, why not replace the springs to something closer to your weight if you are over say 170.
It will help tons in loading the front end under heavy braking.

I am around 215lb on a bad day more! I have many bad days apparently.

Anyway, stock springs I couldn't do a simple straight line 20mph easy braking drill without making the headlight dip.

About $100 and you will greatly appreciate the diff!

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
Unread
  (#4)
All about the U

March 13, 2009, 10:50 AM

yeah, I was doing a wheelie.. Stupid me. lol

But yeah, I was thinking of putting in some racetech springs, and dust seals and fork seals.

-Mossburg

Unread
  (#5)
Derpentine Dealer

March 13, 2009, 10:50 AM

+1 on the springs suggestion. Go race tech to match your weight. Every bike is pretty much undersprung for riders above 175 lbs. That includes a lot of us.

What happens is we all add preload to compensate for our weight, rather than springs because it's a lot cheaper. As you add preload, you lose small bump absorption. A really tight spring with smaller rate won't absorb the small bumps as well as a spring with a higher rate under less preload.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#6)
Nubbs ban yourself!

March 13, 2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Duct_Mossburg View Post
yeah, I was doing a wheelie.. Stupid me. lol

But yeah, I was thinking of putting in some racetech springs, and dust seals and fork seals.
Been there done that but on dirt bikes. No biggie!!!

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

March 13, 2009, 11:03 AM

The wheelie riding blowing the fork seals is an urban myth but the stiffer fork springs is a great idea. You can use a spring rate calculator to figure out what rate you would need. I believe race tech and mx tech still have there spring rate calculator on there web site.
Unread
  (#8)
All about the U

March 13, 2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLEVEL View Post
The wheelie riding blowing the fork seals is an urban myth but the stiffer fork springs is a great idea. You can use a spring rate calculator to figure out what rate you would need. I believe race tech and mx tech still have there spring rate calculator on there web site.
Its 100% not. I had just set up my suspension so I know that it was not blown that morning.. It had only been a few hours and no hard riding really.. I did mabe like 3-4 back to back wheelies and then I realized it was blown..

I know my spring rate, and actually on my bike I am fine for my weight. The springs are pretty much tapped out though, So Im deciding to change them out while im in there. No matter what kinda product is, When your running it at peak all the time its not going to last as long. Id rather chnage them now, then have to possible do it at some other time..

Besides.. I get to put a cool little decal on my race fairings.

-Mossburg

Unread
  (#9)
Firebreathing VTwin

March 13, 2009, 02:52 PM

Its one of those "while your in there" items.
Buy OEM too. I've never had good luck with aftermarket seals. Leak-Proof are guaranteed to do just that.

Spend the extra $50 to do the dust seals. Definitely check your slider bushings too. Last time I did my seals mine were trash.

MARK DIEDERICH
Love the one you've got...
Cause you might get run over, or you might get shot.
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

March 13, 2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Duct_Mossburg View Post
Its 100% not. I had just set up my suspension so I know that it was not blown that morning.. It had only been a few hours and no hard riding really.. I did mabe like 3-4 back to back wheelies and then I realized it was blown..

I know my spring rate, and actually on my bike I am fine for my weight. The springs are pretty much tapped out though, So Im deciding to change them out while im in there. No matter what kinda product is, When your running it at peak all the time its not going to last as long. Id rather chnage them now, then have to possible do it at some other time..

Besides.. I get to put a cool little decal on my race fairings.
Actually it is. Explain why doing a wheelie would blow the fork seals.
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

March 13, 2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Actually it is. Explain why doing a wheelie would blow the fork seals.

ham fisted squids with no throttle control slamming the front end down when the get it to high...

.................................................. ..................
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
Since MJ was 99% plastic, they're going to melt him down to make some lego blocks so kids can play with him for a
change.
.................................................. .......................
Unread
  (#12)
TPG - screw face

March 13, 2009, 03:51 PM

lol @ ham fisted
Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ

March 13, 2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiixerFiend7 View Post
ham fisted squids with no throttle control slamming the front end down when the get it to high...
If slamming the front end down caused fork seals to leak then every time I came up short on a huge MX jump and bottom my forks and shock at a force that can not be matched by slamming a wheelie then how many set of fork seals you think I would go through? There is nothing that happens during full compression of a fork that cause seals to leak. I can get more technical about it if you want.
Unread
  (#14)
All about the U

March 13, 2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
If slamming the front end down caused fork seals to leak then every time I came up short on a huge MX jump and bottom my forks and shock at a force that can not be matched by slamming a wheelie then how many set of fork seals you think I would go through? There is nothing that happens during full compression of a fork that cause seals to leak. I can get more technical about it if you want.
Lol, Wtf are you talking about? Dirt bikes are way different then a sport bike. The suspension is nothing the same.. Thats like comparing a monster truck suspension with an f1 car.

Im sure the seals are made more aggressive. Compression rates differ, springs, stiffness, setup. Everything.. You have something that is setup way soft to absorb woop, jumps, ruts, etc. Sport bikes are not.. A hard slam on a front end would create a surge in pressure, ripping/wearing the seal.

Not every wheelie is going to come down smooth. Ive never had a problem with this before.. But im sure the previous owner (because all he does is stunt) really didnt help the situation, and then me slamming it down really f-ed it up.

-Mossburg

Unread
  (#15)
GP Champ

March 13, 2009, 08:54 PM

Actually you have a cartridge fork on your bike just like I have on my bike. Yours has less travel and of course different spring rates and valving set up. If you're so sure that setting down a wheelie hard causes the seals to leak then explain why. The seal's only purpose is to keep the fork oil that lubricates the legs from escaping and debris from entering and as your fork compresses positive pressure builds up as well in the fork and if your seal has any imperfection or anything between it and the fork leg then the seal can leak. But the wheelie alone doesn't cause this.