DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 556
2 members and 554 guests
beatle, Leoallafila
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
shifting question
Unread
  (#1)
Noob sauce

shifting question - April 12, 2009, 01:17 PM

hiya,

i was curious about shifting without a clutch. is it better or worse or indifferent. i know you cant down shift without a clutch. or at least it wouldnt be a good idea. but when shifting up is it better to shift without a clutch if you are not getting on the throttle? to save my clutch plate some?

thanks for any help!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to chumchum  
Unread
  (#2)
Say Jur Oh

April 12, 2009, 03:06 PM

Bike transmissions (as far as I know) use dog ears instead of syncros. There is no harm done in clutch-less shifting up or down.

I personally do, and have done it for years in dog box transmissions on bikes and cars and have never seen anything that would lead me to believe it "hurts" anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'm not saying this site has a bunch of gay dudes on it but a few of you definitely lack a bumpstop on the sexuality gate.
Quote:
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!

Greg "BamBam" Walker
September 11th 2009
You are missed
Godspeed
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Seijirou  
Unread
  (#3)
Pop That $hi7

April 12, 2009, 04:04 PM

True---^

I use the clutch for 1st, and to down shift. Otherwise Im OUT!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to THEGIXXERGUY  
Unread
  (#4)
Noob sauce

April 12, 2009, 04:50 PM

i use the clutch for first second and down shifting. somtimes for all gears, but i tend to just tap it up if i am not getting on the gas.

i just wanted to make sure i wasnt grinding any gears or anything by doing that.

most people i have talked to about it dont know mechanically if its ok. just more or less opinions on it.

so i thought maybe somone could tell me from a mechanics point of view if it would hurt anything.

thanks all
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to chumchum  
Unread
  (#5)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

April 12, 2009, 07:25 PM

I'd like to hear more about this.

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, it’s like this…A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
superdupernunu

April 12, 2009, 07:30 PM

you can upshift and downshift without the clutch...its your personal choice as to what works for you. the main thing with clutchless upshifting and downshifting properly is timing. you just have to get the timing coordinated between getting off the throttle and tapping it into gear. its very smooth once you can get this down pat.

let's f*cking rage!
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

April 12, 2009, 07:37 PM

You can shift without the clutch but only if your transmission is not under any load. But if you miss a shift or shift under a load you will regret it. It will cause you to bend shift forks or round off the dogs on the transmission gears. This is very exspensive to fix and usually not covered under the factory warranty.
Unread
  (#8)
I hate Hybrid drivers

April 12, 2009, 07:46 PM

i up shift and down shift with out a clutch all the time. i don't force it tho. Seems to be fine.
Unread
  (#9)
Say Jur Oh

April 12, 2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumchum View Post
i use the clutch for first second and down shifting. somtimes for all gears, but i tend to just tap it up if i am not getting on the gas.

i just wanted to make sure i wasnt grinding any gears or anything by doing that.

most people i have talked to about it dont know mechanically if its ok. just more or less opinions on it.

so i thought maybe somone could tell me from a mechanics point of view if it would hurt anything.

thanks all
As long as you're not giving it much effort, you're not hurting anything. The gear changes will come very easily without the clutch if you're doing it right. If it doesn't want to shift, use the clutch, don't push harder.

Next time I have a transmission apart I'll see if I can arrange for you to take a look at the guts so you can see how it all works.

Quote:
I'm not saying this site has a bunch of gay dudes on it but a few of you definitely lack a bumpstop on the sexuality gate.
Quote:
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!

Greg "BamBam" Walker
September 11th 2009
You are missed
Godspeed
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Seijirou  
Unread
  (#10)
Officially Addicted to Posting

April 12, 2009, 11:48 PM

its easier on the track. full throttle, apply pressure to the shift lever, blip off the gas for a split second and back on, itll suck in the next gear.

"I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." -MG James Mattis, Iraq 2003

Ruining .net one post at a time
Unread
  (#11)
Old rider, new member

April 18, 2009, 03:29 PM

If you match the rpms right and know when to do it, it is seamless and a beautiful thing. If you do it wrong you'll know, that is bad, but if you can do it without clutching and without crazy stuff happening it won't hurt a thing.
I do it up and down but not always down, only when I am bored.
I usually only clutch for first from stops and if I am in the mood.
When I get on it I rarely use the clutch.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to EWill3rd