DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 527
2 members and 525 guests
davidcycle, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Sign of clutch issues or something else? (High mileage gsxr)
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

Sign of clutch issues or something else? (High mileage gsxr) - January 8, 2013, 02:44 PM

Bike: 04 GSXR 600, about 55K-65K miles.

The bike starts and runs great when it runs.

Problem: I can be on the road, cruising at 50mph keeping throttle and speed steady, and then in an instant, the bike looses half its power, doesn't want to rev up or accelerate, and possibly sounds a little different. It is struggling to go more than 45mph.

Here is the interesting bit: when I stop the bike while it is in this state and try to roll it back, there is still a ton of resistance even though the clutch lever is pressed all the way in. When the bike is running fine and I press the clutch lever in and push the bike back, I get normal level of resistance and it's not a problem.

Additional info is that the bike has sat around intermittently and the fuel filter/pump/etc may very well be clogged a bit. But that wouldn't really explain the resistance when I try to roll the bike back with clutch pressed in...

Also, when I run the bike there is no clutch slippage on acceleration. When it runs, it runs fine.

Lastly, the first time I had this happen was probably a year ago or more. It happened, I pulled over, I thought I had a very flat rear tire. With clutch pulled in, the bike wasn't 'coasting', it was slowing down very fast. Since then it hasn't happened until the last month or so, and now it seems to happen frequently - possibly every time I ride it for more than a few miles but it's hard to test this because I don't really want to ride it in this state.

I would like to get some opinions and leads on what this could be as I take a closer look... What do you guys think?

Last edited by Witold; January 8, 2013 at 02:47 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
AMA Superbike Champ

January 8, 2013, 03:06 PM

wow...this bike is still on the road!

Good luck.

#1 Machine: Suzuki GS500K2 / Bridgestone package
#2 Machine: BMW G310R / Michelin package - sooooo light and stable it's funny
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

January 8, 2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkOnBlk600r View Post
wow...this bike is still on the road!

Good luck.
Of course man, it's a gixxer. It just keeps on ticking.... until now.
Unread
  (#4)
Stop light racer...

January 8, 2013, 06:10 PM

Start with clutch cable adjustment.. Its likely stretching. Loss of power seems unrelated

- Norway Daily, 90' VFR750, V4 Touring Beast
- USA Daily, 08' Versys - Urban Assault vehicle
- Toy, 02' Ducati 900ss - Loud and angry noises
- Toy, 89' FZR600 - Raw Inline Deathbox
- Project, 91' CB250 - Goal: lightweight city bike
- Project, 79' CB350 - Finally runs, now to finish

- Sold, Red 94' VS800 - Loud as F@*$
* R.I.P. Blue 06' SV650, murdered by DC!
* R.I.P. Black 98' FZR600, murdered by DC!
- Sold, Red 81' GS650
- Sold, Black 81' CM400T
Unread
  (#5)
No more 1050 :(

January 8, 2013, 06:25 PM

When was the last oil change?

Has the clutch ever been replaced, or are you on the original plates/ springs?

When the bike is losing power- do the lights dim at all? Stator and/ or R/R could be starting to die...

Fuel filter/ injectors ever replaced/ cleaned?

Wheels in the air- do they spin freely? Any slop? How old is the chain?
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

January 9, 2013, 12:26 PM

When was the last oil change? - beginning of the year, but the bike has less than 4K miles on it.

Has the clutch ever been replaced, or are you on the original plates/ springs? Everything clutch is original. (which is why this is the first thing that crossed my mind when it happened.)

When the bike is losing power- do the lights dim at all? Stator and/ or R/R could be starting to die... - controls and lights do not dim. I also have a fairly new battery in the bike.

Fuel filter/ injectors ever replaced/ cleaned? -Nope. About 1 month ago I had trouble running the bike after it sat for a few weeks unused. I added some fuel injector cleaner fluid to the tank, fuel stabil, I ran at least 1 gas tank of gas through it and it seems to run a lot better now. But this could very well be the problem. I *think* the fuel pump is original. Fuel filter has been replaced at some point but it's been a long while and as stated earlier, things did get clogged up recently. This new BS gas pisses me off. Years ago, I could let the bike sit for like 2-3 months with 0 issues. Now, it seems like you can't let it sit more than 3 weeks.

Wheels in the air- do they spin freely? Any slop? How old is the chain? - I did not put it on the stand to try. The weird thing is that when the bike runs properly, it rolls fine. But when the 'issue' occurs, I really have to push hard to push it forward or back. Chain... hmmm... It's probably 2 years old but not many miles. Most likely under 10K.

Thanks for giving me some things to think about. I will probably start doing some of these checks later today/tomorrow., starting with the clutch adjustment...

Last edited by Witold; January 9, 2013 at 01:32 PM..
Unread
  (#7)
100% Kawasaki Biased

January 9, 2013, 12:40 PM

I might take a look at the bearings but I think you may have multiple issues going on here. The power issue sounds like a bad stator or some other fuel/spark issue. I would also take a look at your braking components and make sure nothing is binding or worn. You could have a slider/pad/brake piston that is sticking.

I'd really have to take a look to tell. I would take it to a shop or someone that knows what they are doing if you can't figure it out. You don't want to be stranded, trust me.

You can live in your car, but you can't race your house.

'07 ZX-10R - 156 RWHP/182 MPH
'09 KX450F - VCHSS 29F
'85 ZL-900 Eliminator
'01 Ninja 250 (Sold)
'06 636 (Sold)
'99 ZX-6R (Sold)
'94 Ninja 250 (Sold)
'99 YZ-250 (Sold)
'73 CL 450 (Sold)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6Jpc...eature=related
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/H...bud_408656.htmfeature=related

The difference between men and boys is that boys make excuses and men make changes.