DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 566
4 members and 562 guests
BlackHatch, davidcycle, GRN96WS6, onel0wcubn
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Spark plug gap narrows during life?
Unread
  (#1)
GDMFSOB

Question Spark plug gap narrows during life? - March 10, 2013, 04:11 PM

Ok, call me crazy. I just replaced my spark plugs in the track whore. I always check the gap before I install plugs. Always. In looking at my old plugs they looked like the gap was less than what I put in. So for giggles, I checked them. Each one is less than what is specified. I always thought that the electrode wore away during use. What up with that?
If it matters:
'07 ZX6r
CR9EIX Iridium plugs
1.5 +/- seasons on plugs
Spends its life >11000 rpm

#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

March 12, 2013, 03:33 AM

Carbon build up???

2011 Ducati Diavel Chromo (Current)
2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure (Current)
2006 BMW R1200ST
2003 BMW K1200GT (Current)
2004 Ducati 998s Final Edition (Current)
1997 Aprilia RS250
1998 BMW K1200RS
2000 Ducati 998
1998 Pegaso 650
1999 Ducati 996S
2004 BMW R1150R
2005 Aprilia RSVR Factory
2001 Triumph Tiger 955i
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Buell Ulysses
1991 Suzuki GSX-1100R
1991 Honda Africa Twin 750
2008 Mobster Lefty Trophy pitbike
2004 Aprilia RSVR Factory
1990 Aprilia Pegaso 125
1991 Ducati 888
1995 Honda CR250
1996 Aprilia RS125
1995 Aprilia Sr 50
1984 Kram-it 50
Unread
  (#3)
Meh

March 12, 2013, 07:07 AM

Mechanical contact (piston, valve, debris), dropping the spark plug and dinging the strap on the way in, some say detonation can do it as well.
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

March 12, 2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoallafila View Post
Carbon build up???
+1

Or they weren't gapped to what you thought they were when you put them in.

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.
Unread
  (#5)
Meh

March 12, 2013, 11:56 AM

You won't get much carbon build up on an iridium unit.
Unread
  (#6)
Give me the Ban Button!

March 12, 2013, 12:04 PM

I would go with piston contact over carbon build up.

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

March 12, 2013, 12:10 PM

I'd agree with piston contact if it was a thumper or if only one or two sparkplugs had narrowed. Seems unlikely that all 4 ( I assume unindexed plugs) would be under spec by the same amount due to contact. But hey, stranger things have happened.

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.
Unread
  (#8)
Meh

March 12, 2013, 12:20 PM

Some have stated that detonation can do it but I would think that the compressive forces on the detonation side would work on all sides of the strap.

I have seen plenty of guys drop the plug in the hole or ding it on the way down and ask as the gap was tight.
Unread
  (#9)
otb
AMA Superbike Champ

March 12, 2013, 01:43 PM

Just a guess, but: Occam's Razor. The simplest, easiest explanations are the most likely:

A. Bumped the electrode(s) while dropping them down the well in the head.
B. Used a different gap gauge than the first time.
C. Swilled too much beer when changing plugs the last time........hard to focus on those teeny numbers when the room is spinning.........

Irridiums are fine wire plugs, neh?

Unless it's getting SOOO HOT in the CC that you are blasting off molten parts of the piston crown that is then depositing on the center electrode, all whilst NOT eroding the side electrode (not bloody likely); well, then unless the piston crowns are making contact (did we shave the head a wee bit much or go with an ultra thin headgasket?) then any other answers other than the top three are unlikely....unless you have HUGE carbon deposits on the piston tops, which is doubtful at 11k RPM+.

Riding fast bikes slowly since 1969....
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#10)
2 wheels for life

March 12, 2013, 03:47 PM

the gap knows its gonna get some rubbing so it flinches

Adrenaline Addict
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
GDMFSOB

March 12, 2013, 03:57 PM

@ Deep!
Definitely not carbon build up. Way too hard for that. They all look like a clean burn should. I know I used the same gap tool that i always do, and the spark plug socket I use has a rubber retaining grommet. I don't drop them down the hole. Beer is a possibility, but I don't physically gap the plugs. You are not supposed to change the gap on an iridium plug, so they say. I just check before I put them in. Historically throughout my bikes they are well above the minimum gap out of the box. Typically near the max. I am (nearly) positive I would have remember if they were near the low end. Except for the beer thing.
I was afraid of piston contact, but there is no shiny spot on any of the plugs like I would expect for metal to metal contact. I guess I will go spin the crank by hand and pull them back out to see. Unfortunately, I do not know which cylinder the worst one came out of. Of course, spinning by hand is not the same as winding it out on the track. However, if a wrist pin or something is going, I would have already expected it to grenade.
I'll post up what I find in a bit.

#132 EX

www.marrc.org

Quote:
Unread
  (#12)
Window Licker

March 12, 2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
@ Deep!
Definitely not carbon build up. Way too hard for that. They all look like a clean burn should. I know I used the same gap tool that i always do, and the spark plug socket I use has a rubber retaining grommet. I don't drop them down the hole. Beer is a possibility, but I don't physically gap the plugs. You are not supposed to change the gap on an iridium plug, so they say. I just check before I put them in. Historically throughout my bikes they are well above the minimum gap out of the box. Typically near the max. I am (nearly) positive I would have remember if they were near the low end. Except for the beer thing.
I was afraid of piston contact, but there is no shiny spot on any of the plugs like I would expect for metal to metal contact. I guess I will go spin the crank by hand and pull them back out to see. Unfortunately, I do not know which cylinder the worst one came out of. Of course, spinning by hand is not the same as winding it out on the track. However, if a wrist pin or something is going, I would have already expected it to grenade.
I'll post up what I find in a bit.

????? Huh? If they aren't in spec to begin with, than you have to reset the gap. Here's a tidbit from the Denso site:

Q. How do I gap Iridium plugs
A. Before attempting to gap any DENSO Iridium Power spark plug, please review the specification chart to see the factory-preset gap. In most cases your Iridium Power plugs do not need to be gapped. Even with small variations in the factory set gap the ultra-efficient firing power design will compensate for those small variations. Should you decide to re-gap your Iridium Power plug, use extreme caution as improper gapping may damage or destroy the Iridium center electrode or porcelain center. To increase the gap size: Step 1 Use needle nose pliers or spark plug gapping tool to bend the ground strap up to the desired height. DO NOT LET THE PLIERS OR GAPPING TOOL TOUCH THE IRIDIUM CENTER ELECTRODE OR PORCELAIN. Step 2 Re-check the gap with a calibrated gapping tool. To decrease the gap size: Step 1 Use the same method as above, however bend the ground strap down to the desired height. DO NOT LET THE PLIERS OR GAPPING TOOL TOUCH THE IRIDIUM CENTER ELECTRODE OR PORCELAIN. Step 2 Re-check the gap with a calibrated gapping tool. WARNING: Failure to follow these directions may permanently damage the spark plug. Note: Never use a round gapping tool to check the gap or to increase or decrease the gap setting.

If a wrist pin is going you would likely hear the double tap noise that comes with it. As in tune with any noise or minor thing out of whack with the bike as you are, I think this is unlikely. Wish I could come up with an explanation on this other than the aforementioned beer theory.

MARRC corner worker
I bleed racing fuel......
www.marrc.org

Several of you know me a "Junior" at the track due to me driving the crash truck at Summit.
MARRC Corner Worker of the Year 2015
Received MARRC Presidents Cup 2017
Received MARRC Cup 2018
1985 VT1100C Shadow (rebuilt it after 11 years in a shed) And now dead and locked up. Thanks Slider!
1983 G1100I Goldwing (rebuilt it after "only" 4 years in a barn)
1995 XR250R (got this one for free from a friend)
2003 GSXR600 track bike
2000 SV650 race bike
2000 TTR125/150 mini motard (another free one)
2000 CRF150F mini motard
1979 KDX400 (yup, this was free too)
1982 KLT200 (Kermit)
1984 KLT200 (Miss Piggy)
2004 Gas Gas SM450

Yes, they are all still mine and in the garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermizzle View Post
Dinky little rods that flop around make me sad
Dave T
Unread
  (#13)
GDMFSOB

March 12, 2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toecutter View Post
Note: Never use a round gapping tool to check the gap or to increase or decrease the gap setting.
Maybe that is what I remember reading. I dunno, never had to adjust them. Fuck, now I will be making sure they are all within .00000000324 mm

Well, I spun the crank a few times and re checked all the gaps. Each one was between .030 and .031. So, no way to account for the really narrow gap on the one, and the < .027 on the rest. No other explanation except for

Guess I will just ride it like I stole it!

#132 EX

www.marrc.org

Quote:

Last edited by The Evil Twin; March 12, 2013 at 06:38 PM..
Unread
  (#14)
Meh

March 13, 2013, 07:25 AM

Spinning the crank by hand will not indicate the clearance issue. The stretch and resultant contact will come at super high velocities and when the motor is running really high.

My original theory of bumping the strap stands.
Unread
  (#15)
GDMFSOB

March 13, 2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHatch View Post
Spinning the crank by hand will not indicate the clearance issue. The stretch and resultant contact will come at super high velocities and when the motor is running really high.

My original theory of bumping the strap stands.
Yeah, I know the inertial forces are much much higher. I guess (hope) that I just fucked up when installing. It seems to take a pretty good knock to move it though. I test dropped one of the old ones from about 10" and it closed slightly. I know the work bench top, wood, absorbed some of the force. It can also be like when you drop a bottle- sometimes it breaks and sometimes it doesn't. Just depends on how the force is applied.
I hate to do it, but looks like I will pull them again after the first event and see if anything changed dramatically.
I really really REALLY can't afford a rebuild or replacement this season Daughterkid's passion for dance is eating serious $$$ this spring, but she comes first.

#132 EX

www.marrc.org

Quote: