DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 571
1 members and 570 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
suspension question... HELP!
Unread
  (#1)
superdupernunu

suspension question... HELP! - June 29, 2011, 05:12 PM

yesterday i got my michelins (v-front & soft rear) taken off and got a set of conti race attacks put on for fridays TD... i also got my suspension adjusted to the following specs... mind you im a 230lb guy.

INITIAL PROBLEM PRIOR TO ADJUSTING: bike handled like a cadicall when hard on brakes... would rebound but not settle upon reaching top of travel, it would bouncea few times before settling.

So the following was done on stock suspension to try and adjust that:

Rear - Shock preload got cranked all the way to the last setting

Front - not sure of technical term but the adjustment on top of forks that uses a 14mm socket to turn (preload possibly?) got turned 3 turns clockwise on each fork; and the adjuster directly above that that requires a flathead to adjust, was turned 3 clicks clockwise as well

PROBLEM: after those adjustments were made i hopped on to head home and from the first turn i could tell a HUGE difference. not a good difference either. the front wheel kept wanting to tuck, i really had to work hard to get it to not tuck on me. it was very difficult to turn, between the front wanting to tuck, and me trying my damndest to keep it from doing so, it seemed to massively understeer.

so i attempted to place the settings back to stock, but without knowing exactly how far my rear shock was adjusted its hard to tell what "stock" really was.

i cannot loosen my forks and bring them up a bit into the tripple tree because one of the lower bolts seems to not want to accept the allen wrench which the other ones have no issues with. so not to strip it, i will hold off on this until post trackday.

Any constructive opinions or suggestions are welcome... ive done my searches and found some good stuff already but am a little overwhelmed with all the differing input that i have found.

thanks much and sorry for the lengthy read, just trying to get it right by friday's track day

let's f*cking rage!
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Got Any Gwapes?

June 29, 2011, 05:31 PM

What kind of bike, who did the suspension settings?

"I didn't know they gave out rings at the Holocaust"

*GODFATHER*
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to boomboom929  
Unread
  (#3)
superdupernunu

June 29, 2011, 05:35 PM

2005 r1
the same guy that i got the tires from... hes not on .net but is a marrc guy

just trying to get it so its not so extreme in regards to wanting to fold the front. there wasnt a whole lot he could do b/c of my weight and a stock suspension so i think stiffening the rear preload affected my steering

let's f*cking rage!
Unread
  (#4)
otb
AMA Superbike Champ

June 29, 2011, 05:37 PM

You dont say what kind of bike you have....so go to the SportRider Mag website and look up the stock settings for your bike...go set them back to stock.

Now go buy some pizza and have one or two of the guys come over and help you do a static sag set-up (the instructions are there in SportRider, too).

Go check your tire pressures.

Now, the first rule of adjustment is ...you only make one change at a time...then test the change. There is a posting here somewhere with a suspension flow chart for troubleshooting issues...but I cannot find it.

But only make ONE CHANGE AT A TIME....you made a bunch: Tires, rear preload, front preload and compression damping...whew! I bet the bike handles goofy.

Riding fast bikes slowly since 1969....
Unread
  (#5)
Got Any Gwapes?

June 29, 2011, 05:39 PM

I live in Rockville, you can ride over and I'll look at it.

"I didn't know they gave out rings at the Holocaust"

*GODFATHER*
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to boomboom929  
Unread
  (#6)
Power One User

June 29, 2011, 06:05 PM

Yeah that is a lot of changes all at once, so impossible to know what is causing what. Geometry is changed also probably unless the tires are the exact same diameters. If you had left the suspension alone, you would have known if it was the tires causing the ill handling. You just had the tires swapped, were the pressures checked/lowered after setting the bead?

CCS AM #710
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

June 29, 2011, 07:09 PM

Go back to stock settings. Change one thing at a time.

If it's popping up too fast....rebound needs to be a bit slower. But most likely issue to start is that the springs aren't made for your weight if they are still stock. (I'm in the same weight range, so I of what I speak.)

Reset to stock, do one thing at a time. Multiple things at once will just confuse you as to what an adjustment accomplished.

Or you could visit BoomBoom.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#8)
superdupernunu

June 29, 2011, 07:52 PM

thanks guys... appreciate the offer Boom, but im still gathering all my shit to get the trailer ready as i wont have anytime tomorrow...

when i was trying to return it back to stock i was making a change then taking it around the neighberhood, bringing it back, making another change taking it back out, bringing it back... etc

i noticed that the biggest issue of the tire wanting to tuck in on a turn rather violently has been somewhat alleviated by GREATLY reducing the preload on the rear spring and the preload on the front spring. though it still does not feel anywhere close to how it felt prior to the tire change.

tires are same diameter (190/55 & 120/70) but the front is no longer the V-front that i was used to and fell in love with. tire pressure is set to 27psi cold up front as they are DOT takeoffs i was advised that they should rise 2-3 psi and i may want to drop them a bit further when i get to the track.

i will make changes throughout the day on friday until i get it to my liking. hopefully someone in the paddock will know a bit more about it than me! haha

let's f*cking rage!
Unread
  (#9)
running on liquid crazy.

June 30, 2011, 07:20 AM

Rick might be able to help you after the craziness of morning tech and registration is done. Talk to him in the morning.

the one and only...
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#10)
superdupernunu

June 30, 2011, 09:33 AM

Thank you.. I will look for him and see if he has time to help me out. Muchas gracias!

let's f*cking rage!