DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 577
6 members and 571 guests
CCS762ZX6, davidcycle, Nobrains, ReasonableDoubt, Scot, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
sv gurus: need your help please!
Unread
  (#1)
isn't camping great?!?!

sv gurus: need your help please! - March 20, 2014, 09:38 PM

upgrading a '06 sv650 from a 60 profile front tire to a 70. to keep the same geometry, triple clamp needs dropped 8mm on forks. (i assume it is the same as i did for my r6) at this point, forks will hit the current handlebar on the bike. i am wanting a lower reach for the track and looking to go to clip ons. from what i see, sv650s clip ons are 41mm and i believe these will fit onto the stock 650 (non s) upper fork tubes. i am hoping to find some stock 41mm clipons with about 2" of rise to them. is this going to work or are the s model forks different diameter than the non s model?

team promotion coach #957
'o4 r6 track only - old pig in new shoes!
'o8 ktm 25o xc-w(e) street legal
'99 ktm 64o enduro a.k.a. "bad betty"
s2ooo street & track duty: volk, brembo, wilwood, ohlins ttx (soon!)

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
On vacation

March 20, 2014, 10:05 PM

Paging Nudist! Paging Nudist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My wife wants to get LASIK or a boob job

She asked my opinion

I told her I have no vested interest in making her eyesight better
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

March 20, 2014, 10:34 PM

Forks are the same. I have a set of 41mm woodcraft clipons if you want to test fit them. If you want them we can work something out.
Unread
  (#4)
isn't camping great?!?!

March 20, 2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_Jumper View Post
Forks are the same. I have a set of 41mm woodcraft clipons if you want to test fit them. If you want them we can work something out.
good to know they are the same forks, that helps. if the clip ons have a 2 inch rise, i am interested.

Unread
  (#5)
AMA Superbike Champ

March 20, 2014, 11:20 PM

Dang u should of asked a week or so ago, I just sold some straight 2nd gen sv650s clip-ons for $30 shipped to a guy in FL. If it helps, I will have one spare left clip-on soon

Look around, I think the older CBRs oem clip-ons are the same size as well with a rise.
Unread
  (#6)
Commute racer

March 21, 2014, 05:34 AM

You probably know this but instead of just raising the forks 8mm in the triple, measure your ride height before and after, then adjust it down to the before setting.

I want to say it was 12mm when I did mine, but that was a year ago and I didn't write it down.

I have to do the same thing to my new to me Ninja tomorrow, because the previous owner went to a 70 but never adjusted the forks. So I have to just go off other peoples before numbers.

Last edited by RobMoore; March 21, 2014 at 05:44 AM..
Unread
  (#7)
Street Bonk Bum.....

March 21, 2014, 06:29 AM

I will sell you some oem sv clip-ons that have grips and all controls....

CCS AM # 204
Unread
  (#8)
isn't camping great?!?!

March 21, 2014, 10:36 AM

thanks for the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMoore View Post
You probably know this but instead of just raising the forks 8mm in the triple, measure your ride height before and after, then adjust it down to the before setting.

I want to say it was 12mm when I did mine, but that was a year ago and I didn't write it down.

I have to do the same thing to my new to me Ninja tomorrow, because the previous owner went to a 70 but never adjusted the forks. So I have to just go off other peoples before numbers.

damn rob, now you got me thinking. lol... when i originally did my 03 r6 in '06, i did all the measuring and came up with 8mm exactly. i just did it to my new track bike last year, a new 04 r6 by looking up my write up on r6mn. your 12 mm is a big difference. 50% more. i forget the exact method i used to determine height, but now it makes me wonder about amount of tire worn off old tire versus fresh new tire and tire shape.

technically, by mathematical terms 12mm is correct though. a 120 width tire, adding 10% (going 60 to 70) of the tire's width should equal 12. no? ah... too much going on today to be farting with this. lol maybe i'll do a check on the sv forum. someone over there has to have posted it too.

Unread
  (#9)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

March 21, 2014, 10:45 AM

I was suppose to get a 07 SV650 from a chick who did not want it anymore...perfect condition....

$500 and legit....

I passed on it.

she originally text me and said...

zuki gsf600 so i was like...ah GSX-600....
then the pictures was SV 650 .....

anyway.... [/threadjack]

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#10)
isn't camping great?!?!

March 21, 2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWZelibor View Post
I will sell you some oem sv clip-ons that have grips and all controls....
jason, we really only need just clip ons. all controls are good. i am really trying to keep her costs down, as she is trying to keep my schedule on track (i coach) and she has to pay for 6 td's in 4 weeks. if the clip ons have a 2" rise and you are willing to part them, i am willing to come to you in nova. got a pic of them? condition?

Unread
  (#11)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

March 21, 2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift View Post
thanks for the replies!

damn rob, now you got me thinking. lol... when i originally did my 03 r6 in '06, i did all the measuring and came up with 8mm exactly. i just did it to my new track bike last year, a new 04 r6 by looking up my write up on r6mn. your 12 mm is a big difference. 50% more. i forget the exact method i used to determine height, but now it makes me wonder about amount of tire worn off old tire versus fresh new tire and tire shape.

technically, by mathematical terms 12mm is correct though. a 120 width tire, adding 10% (going 60 to 70) of the tire's width should equal 12. no? ah... too much going on today to be farting with this. lol maybe i'll do a check on the sv forum. someone over there has to have posted it too.

also do not forget that all tires same in size are not created equal...

I was just showing my GF how my 200/55 Pirelli SP are wider and shorter than my 200/55 Pirelli superbike tires.

they pinch or stretch the tires depending...so id go with the overall tire height of the OEM tire and compare it to the overal height of the new tire...and drop the bike in the tipples by that number.

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#12)
AMA Superbike Champ

March 21, 2014, 10:51 AM

These what 2nd gen SV650S clip-ons look like, not 2 inches rise, but more like 1.5

Quote:
jason, we really only need just clip ons. all controls are good. i am really trying to keep her costs down, as she is trying to keep my schedule on track (i coach) and she has to pay for 6 td's in 4 weeks. if the clip ons have a 2" rise and you are willing to part them, i am willing to come to you in nova. got a pic of them? condition?
Unread
  (#13)
isn't camping great?!?!

March 21, 2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
I was suppose to get a 07 SV650 from a chick who did not want it anymore...perfect condition....

$500 and legit....

I passed on it.

she originally text me and said...

zuki gsf600 so i was like...ah GSX-600....
then the pictures was SV 650 .....

anyway.... [/threadjack]
you passed on a $500 sv? damn...

i plugged in my external hard drive last night for the first time in years to look on it. ended up watching old dcs videos from lots of folks i saved. watched your 2006.5 year in review and the one with fleetwood mac in it. really good stuff von. [y][y][y]

Unread
  (#14)
Street Bonk Bum.....

March 21, 2014, 10:53 AM

I can send you a pic of them...the rise is what ever is OEM off a 06 sv650s they are still on one of my extra SV's they are damage free and in good condition....just give me what ever the going rate is on them...I can prob look thru my spares stuff and have more pairs as well....also have a extra set of wheels (silver) with oem rotors I have for sale as well...

Quote:

CCS AM # 204
Unread
  (#15)
Railing!

March 24, 2014, 09:21 AM

Not sure how your SV is set up, but if you're still running the stock headlight and brackets you'll have to modify the bracket to mount the clip ons.

Also, at least for the second gen, the S top triple is slightly different underneath and has a place for the clip-on's mounting tabs. Since the N doesn't have those, you can just grind the tabs off.