DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 231
3 members and 228 guests
Nobrains, Scot, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
SV650 throttle body issue?
Unread
  (#1)
AMA Superbike Champ

SV650 throttle body issue? - February 21, 2010, 03:15 PM

Went to fire up the bike today and she started fine. Took it around the block and then shut down for a couple minutes. Upon starting it up again, it was having trouble staying on, and I noticed as well that one cylinder had stopped firing. It kicks in when I rev but there's a delay. Starting the engine kept getting harder until I had to be pulling on the throttle and then stay on the throttle just to keep the engine going.

I noticed that the two linker rods on the throttle body aren't moving together. I turn the throttle, rod 1 moves, but rod 2 either kicks in sporadically or only after revving.

Could this indeed be the source of the problem, and any idea what causes it?

From SV service manual:

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Playing in traffic

February 21, 2010, 04:36 PM

It is probably water and dirt in the front spark plug well. There is a small hole that drains the well that comes out on the right side of the cylinder about half way between the top and bottom of the cylinder. It notoriously becomes plugged up with dirt if you don't clean it regularly. If this is your problem, just cleaning the drain hole won't be enough -- you have to remove the spark plug and get all of the mud out of the well, trying not to let any of it fall into the cylinder (it's not as hard as it sounds). Then run a piece of coat hanger wire into the hole every few months to keep it open.
Unread
  (#3)
Life Begins at 150

February 22, 2010, 08:30 AM

It could be water in the plug well. But not usually after sitting inside. If you are checking that. Do not remove the plug to clean it out though. If u do. The dirt may go into the cyl. Just blow it out with compressed air. If water comes out, That may be your problem. That bar looks like the secondary throttle valve, it does not open with the throttle.
It could be a bad gas problem, is the fuel a dew months old?
Drain and replace with fresh. And add some drygas to it. If this does notwork. We still can tow it in for free and fix it for you
Unread
  (#4)
Typical Stripper

February 22, 2010, 08:37 AM

To address your other concern number 1 and 2 from your picture do not operate with the same sequence as eachother.

Once you blow out the plug area etc put some dielectric grease in there.

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
T.R.I.T.D.H

February 22, 2010, 08:44 AM

well if these above posts do not fix your issue then you just did a bad job describing the problem...

quality resolution posts...

What do you value more? Life or Image?

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
Unread
  (#6)
AMA Superbike Champ

February 22, 2010, 07:14 PM

Thanks for the great responses guys. Is this a general characteristic of vtwins or just of this engine?

Last edited by minuslars1; February 22, 2010 at 07:38 PM..
Unread
  (#7)
Playing in traffic

February 22, 2010, 08:07 PM

This is a well known characteristic of the SV650. Everyone knows about it but, curiously, no one ever mentions it until your bike stops running. It's easy to fix, though, and easy to prevent.