DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:



Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 529
3 members and 526 guests
davidcycle, Slider, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Tech questions for CCS
Unread
  (#1)
Super Moderator
 
Scorpion9R's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,648
Join Date: November 30, 2003
Location: Washington Metropolitan Area
Tech questions for CCS - January 8, 2010, 10:16 PM

I was just going over the rules for CCS..Lemme know if this is right..This is what I got off the manual...

"All engine, transmission, and final drive unit drain plugs and filler caps
must be visibly safety wired. Oil filter bolts must be secured with safety
wire and spin-on oil filters must be secured with a metal clamp and
safety wire or other acceptable means. Fuel and radiator caps are
exempt. On all machines, enough body work must be removed
before coming to tech inspection so the Inspector can see them.
"

So, does that mean I do not have to safety wire my caliper bolts? The only thing I have to safety wire is my Oil filter, Oil Filler Cap, Oil filter bolt?


“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell


CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#2)
Officially Addicted to Posting
 
rddy's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,622
Join Date: October 1, 2002
Location: Boston, MA area
January 8, 2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion9R View Post
I was just going over the rules for CCS..Lemme know if this is right..This is what I got off the manual...

"All engine, transmission, and final drive unit drain plugs and filler caps
must be visibly safety wired. Oil filter bolts must be secured with safety
wire and spin-on oil filters must be secured with a metal clamp and
safety wire or other acceptable means. Fuel and radiator caps are
exempt. On all machines, enough body work must be removed
before coming to tech inspection so the Inspector can see them."

So, does that mean I do not have to safety wire my caliper bolts? The only thing I have to safety wire is my Oil filter, Oil Filler Cap, Oil filter bolt?
Certainly there are better people to answer this than me, but when I raced a few years ago with CCS, you did not have to do any more wiring than was required for Cornerspeed. No caliper bolts required.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#3)
Contributes nothing
 
yzl337's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,678
Join Date: September 30, 2002
Location: Herky Hilton
January 8, 2010, 10:56 PM

nope caliper bolts don't have to be wired, but I'd safety wire them anyway, mine loosened up several times when i didn't, never enough to come loose, but that was scary anyway. Basically with CCS, if it has fluid behind it, safety wire it.


-Craig

Confusing the issue, since before you were ugly.


Woody: i'd probably bang her if she didn't look like a man

spud: yeah, i was checking out dicks
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to yzl337  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#4)
Super Moderator
 
Scorpion9R's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,648
Join Date: November 30, 2003
Location: Washington Metropolitan Area
January 8, 2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzl337 View Post
nope caliper bolts don't have to be wired, but I'd safety wire them anyway, mine loosened up several times when i didn't, never enough to come loose, but that was scary anyway. Basically with CCS, if it has fluid behind it, safety wire it.
Agreed..


“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell


CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#5)
Power One User
 
Todd's Avatar
 
Posts: 542
Join Date: June 14, 2006
January 9, 2010, 09:10 AM

You have it right, basically the same requirements of NESBA's A group, Filter, Drain bolt, and Oil fill/dipstick.

But I agree I would wire anything you don't want coming loose.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#6)
GET SOME ! ! !
 
Spyker's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,013
Join Date: September 7, 2007
Location: in transit...
January 9, 2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzl337 View Post
nope caliper bolts don't have to be wired, but I'd safety wire them anyway, mine loosened up several times when i didn't, never enough to come loose, but that was scary anyway. Basically with CCS, if it has fluid behind it, safety wire it.
+1


TPM/Roger Lyle/MARRC/NESBA #911

MARRC Cornerworker

2008 RAW Off-Road Desert Racing 58a Rider
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#7)
Agitator
 
birdman's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,769
Join Date: October 23, 2005
Location: Fairfax, VA
January 11, 2010, 03:18 PM

From a tech guru.
1. you don't have to safety wire caliper bolts (or rear axle bolt) for CCS
2. you should damn well do it anyway (use R-clips or other captured clips instead of directly wiring them and you can make it a breeze to remove/replace)
3. when you are done safety wiring, take bright yellow electrical tape and make little flags (like 1-1.5" long) on the safety wires. That way, tech can see them easily (I never take off my belly pan on my SV), and they say "wow! thats a really good idea!"
Making a tech inspectors life easier is NEVER a bad thing, they can make your life hell if they want to, even if your bike is 99.9999% legal (e.g. bust you on numbers for instance)


Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS
2006 SV650 Racebike
2010 CBR1000RR

...and because sometimes you want to go fast, but need 4 wheels:
2009 Nissan GT-R
2003 Nissan 350Z (for sale, $11k OBO)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to birdman  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#8)
B
It goes to 11.
 
B's Avatar
 
Posts: 16,806
Join Date: November 8, 2004
Location: Moet Chandon on a Schlitz budget
January 11, 2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
From a tech guru.
1. you don't have to safety wire caliper bolts (or rear axle bolt) for CCS
2. you should damn well do it anyway (use R-clips or other captured clips instead of directly wiring them and you can make it a breeze to remove/replace)
3. when you are done safety wiring, take bright yellow electrical tape and make little flags (like 1-1.5" long) on the safety wires. That way, tech can see them easily (I never take off my belly pan on my SV), and they say "wow! thats a really good idea!"
Making a tech inspectors life easier is NEVER a bad thing, they can make your life hell if they want to, even if your bike is 99.9999% legal (e.g. bust you on numbers for instance)
You should probably cite the guru you stole this from.


SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#9)
Agitator
 
birdman's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,769
Join Date: October 23, 2005
Location: Fairfax, VA
January 11, 2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B View Post
You should probably cite the guru you stole this from.
I would, but he is an over-educated prick.


Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS
2006 SV650 Racebike
2010 CBR1000RR

...and because sometimes you want to go fast, but need 4 wheels:
2009 Nissan GT-R
2003 Nissan 350Z (for sale, $11k OBO)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to birdman  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#10)
Has an idiot exemption
 
Triple X's Avatar
 
Posts: 8,501
Join Date: September 29, 2002
Location: Stephens City, VA
January 11, 2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion9R View Post
So, does that mean I do not have to safety wire my caliper bolts? The only thing I have to safety wire is my Oil filter, Oil Filler Cap, Oil filter bolt?
Don't safety wire your oil drain bolt to the grease fitting on your shock linkage.
Again.


Steve
2015 Yamaha R1
2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2003 Honda CRF 150F Mini-monster
www.cornerspeed.net
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#11)
Super Moderator
 
Scorpion9R's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,648
Join Date: November 30, 2003
Location: Washington Metropolitan Area
January 11, 2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZX9 View Post
Don't safety wire your oil drain bolt to the grease fitting on your shock linkage.
Again.
ME?!?! LOL!


“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell


CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © 2002-2010 by DCSportbikes.net. DCSportbikes.net is owned by End of Time Studios, LLC.