DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 570
4 members and 566 guests
BlackHatch, davidcycle, GRN96WS6, onel0wcubn
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Test an ECU? (2008 R6)
Unread
  (#1)
My R6 eats me.

Test an ECU? (2008 R6) - September 13, 2012, 10:52 AM

Is there any way to test an ECU? I think something is wrong, and I'd just like some way to tell for sure before I tear it to pieces from curiosity.

I have a 2008 R6 ECU.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to SW20  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

September 13, 2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW20 View Post
Is there any way to test an ECU? I think something is wrong, and I'd just like some way to tell for sure before I tear it to pieces from curiosity.

I have a 2008 R6 ECU.
Yes, find another 2008 R6 and try there ECU and see if it cures your issue. Except for a few older suzukis the only way to diagnose a faulty ECU is the process of elimination. You test all other components in the system and if they all test good then you try a known good ECU.

With that said, what issues are you having?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
My R6 eats me.

September 13, 2012, 12:13 PM

Oh, I ended up buying a used ECU and for at least 3 days now its been working near flawlessly. I'm cautiously optimistic at this point. (alot of my previous fixes would work for a short period of time then the problem would return with a vengance)

What the problem is, it started about 3 years ago, is the bike will not hold an idle occasionally. I've had to connect a 2nd motorcycle battery and jump start it with more cranking amps then it would start and stay running. If I didn't have a battery, I'd just open the throttle a little to keep the engine running (almost sounds like a choke issue, but I am fuel injected). If I ride the bike for a few seconds, the engine would stay idling. Over the course of the last 3 years, the problem has slowly gotten worse. As of 3 days ago with the old ECU, it would not hold an idle even hooking up a 2nd motorcycle battery for the extra amperage. And now when I ride it feels the engine has no power for about 5 seconds after I start it, after 5 seconds it feels fine.

I've posted on here about this problem before and on other forums and never got a reply. I guess everyone who looked at it was stumped at the problem. I'm at the point of just replacing parts until it starts working again

I have spare injectors & throttle bodies waiting to be installed if the ECU replacement fix doesn't work.

I've replaced the ignition coils, the plugs (many times, I have 26k miles on it), installed a PCV w/ map(this worked temporarily). I have a spare fuel pump from a wrecked bike I haven't installed either (I am too lazy to pull/replace my dented tank, I have a spare tank too).
Unread
  (#4)
i suck at the introweb

September 13, 2012, 12:48 PM

Check a repair manual or owners manual to see how to check error codes. Usually this done by flashing lights on gauge cluster or by plugging in at dealership. If no codes come up, or if an ecu code comes up its the ecu. If you have replaced it and works fine now then its the ecu. To my knowledge there is nothing that plugs up to an ecu off the bike to test it.

Never be afraid that your life will end, only be afraid that it will never begin!

You Learn when your young, and understand when your older!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
My R6 eats me.

September 13, 2012, 12:52 PM

ok, there are no ECU codes other than my ExUp is getting stuck again occasionally. If the problem doesn't come back, I agree it would be the ECU.