DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 512
1 members and 511 guests
davidcycle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Time to replace chain?
Unread
  (#1)
Riz
Hallmark card?!?

Time to replace chain? - June 8, 2012, 11:59 AM

So I know you should replace both sprockets and chain together, and thats what I intend to do. My question is, is it that time? My sprockets dont seem too worn out, you can tell they are getting there, but they arent there yet. My rear actually looks pretty good, its the front that looks a bit worn out

The same goes with my chain, no links out of place, the rings look fine/not leaking, Ive never had to adjust my chain due to stretching etc. The kicker is, i have 26.5 k miles on the bike, and assuming the person i bought the bike from changed the sprockets/chain ( which I dont think they did) at the very least, I have 22.5k miles on the sprocket and chains. I would say I ride pretty spirited. The only indication I can think of that its time to change the chain is that the rollers are noisy when rotating the wheel. Idk if thats normal or what.

I know many of you are thinking, might as well change it with that many miles, and Im going to, but I was just curious! Thanks!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

June 8, 2012, 01:15 PM

Check the tolerances on the chain. If it gets to the point of being really worn to the eye, then most likely you are risking a broken chain. Do you really want that ripping through your engine cases? If the teeth on the sprockets are worn, then so is the chain. Hence the reason all 3 are generally replaced together.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#3)
Knee Draggin!

June 8, 2012, 01:28 PM

Riz,

Here's a great deal on the whole kit

https://www.motomummy.com/store/prod...cat=601&page=1

175 shipped.

Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riz View Post
So I know you should replace both sprockets and chain together, and thats what I intend to do. My question is, is it that time? My sprockets dont seem too worn out, you can tell they are getting there, but they arent there yet. My rear actually looks pretty good, its the front that looks a bit worn out

The same goes with my chain, no links out of place, the rings look fine/not leaking, Ive never had to adjust my chain due to stretching etc. The kicker is, i have 26.5 k miles on the bike, and assuming the person i bought the bike from changed the sprockets/chain ( which I dont think they did) at the very least, I have 22.5k miles on the sprocket and chains. I would say I ride pretty spirited. The only indication I can think of that its time to change the chain is that the rollers are noisy when rotating the wheel. Idk if thats normal or what.

I know many of you are thinking, might as well change it with that many miles, and Im going to, but I was just curious! Thanks!
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

June 8, 2012, 01:39 PM

If you got 22k miles out of your chain and sprockets you did a great job maintaining them. A good way to check a chain for wear is to check the free play at a few different locations. If you get a loose chain in one spot but then rotate the wheel a full turn and find the chain is in adjustment then it's time to replace chain and sprockets or just chain if you're on a budget.

Be sure if you buy a chain and sprocket kit you are getting a steel front and rear sprocket! An aluminum rear sprocket will be lucky to make it 10k miles at best.
Unread
  (#5)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

June 8, 2012, 01:48 PM

You should never assume the previous owner did anything. 20k miles on steel sprockets with only some wear isn't unheard of.

Sprockets aren't that expensive so if you're going to swap out the chain then include the sprockets, do it all right the first time and you won't have to worry about it later.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#6)
Riz
Hallmark card?!?

June 8, 2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan55 View Post
Riz,

Here's a great deal on the whole kit
https://www.motomummy.com/store/prod...cat=601&page=1

175 shipped.

Stan
Sweet, I was gonna order a kit from STG but this a better deal, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLEVEL View Post
If you got 22k miles out of your chain and sprockets you did a great job maintaining them.
Yea idk, I usually get made fun of for my cleaning methods. I only use a rag and wd-40 after every ride (~350 miles usually), and the chain/sprockets have held up thus far. At the same time, I dont pin my throttle either often, so maybe thats helped with the deterioration.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I have felt the bike being weaker and sorta slower in engagement when opening the throttle from close (could be in my head lol), and so i figured it may be due to the chain/sprockets so I was going to replace them anyways. I definately dont want my chain breaking on the cherohala skyway or at the gap, cuz if that happens, your done ...

Last edited by Riz; June 8, 2012 at 02:45 PM..